• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change of route excess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

I have a Taunton to Durrington route Salisbury off peak rettun ticket but want to take bike too. There are no bike spaces available from Westbury to Taunton at any time when I want to travel. I'm thinking of going via Bristol TM. Is the ticket valid via Bristol if not what excess ticket would I need

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have a Taunton to Durrington route Salisbury off peak rettun ticket but want to take bike too. There are no bike spaces available from Westbury to Taunton at any time when I want to travel. I'm thinking of going via Bristol TM. Is the ticket valid via Bristol if not what excess ticket would I need
No - it is only valid via Bristol if you travel via Swindon and Reading, for which a more expensive 'not via London' or '+Any Permitted' fare is required.

In theory the excess would simply be the difference to the cheapest combination of tickets valid for travelling this way, which would be (assuming you aren't making a day trip) Off-Peak Returns split at Bradford on Avon. That would cost £66.60, not a great deal more than the £56.60 Off-Peak Return you hold.

However whilst on the one hand I think it's unlikely that anyone would have an issue with you travelling via Bristol (it's hardly a massively circuitous route and you have good reason for doing so), if someone did 'pull you up', they may claim you need to buy a brand new ticket for part of your journey, e.g. Taunton to Bristol or Bristol to Westbury.

So to avoid potential conflict and overcharging it may be better to get a refund on your existing ticket and then buy the above combination anew. You should be able to do this fee-free under the Book with Confidence policy.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
So to avoid potential conflict and overcharging it may be better to get a refund on your existing ticket and then buy the above combination anew. You should be able to do this fee-free under the Book with Confidence policy.
"Book with confidence" only applies to Advance tickets, as walk-up tickets are already refundable and exchangeable before travel. That said, it's generally only tickets purchased at stations where no Admin Fee should be applied if the reason for the refund is a change of travel plans and you're buying new ticket(s).

lehovec

Assuming the ticket you currently hold is an off peak period return - SVR at £56.60.

To excess it via Bristol TM, it would be £78, as the correct off peak period return for this journey is £134.60.
It would be much cheaper to take your ticket back and as CyrusWuff says and buy a new split ticket as per Watershed message above. You should not be charged admin fee if you are purchasing new ticket at the same time as refunding the old one (providing this was purchased at ticket office / ticket machine). Not sure about online retailers.

paul1609

Established Member
I think that Taunton, Bristol TM, Salisbury, Fareham, Durrington is a valid route on a route Salisbury ticket. Trainsplit will offer me an itiniary that way.

JB_B

Established Member
I think that Taunton, Bristol TM, Salisbury, Fareham, Durrington is a valid route on a route Salisbury ticket. Trainsplit will offer me an itiniary that way.

That's interesting - was it offering the £56.60 off peak return over that route? I could work out how it would be valid. (And on a quick check I couldn't reproduce using Trainsplit.)

Status
Not open for further replies.