• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changed trip/holiday plans due to rail strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisC

Established Member
I thought it might be interesting in this Trip Planning section to hear how people are changing their day trips out and especially holiday plans as a result of the planned strikes and ongoing unreliability and uncertainty of rail travel due to cancelled trains etc.
Please try to keep this thread for that purpose and not turn it into another union and political argument.

I have a hotel room booked in Chippenham for 7 days from 18th June and so that includes all 3 proposed strike days. I had intended to have a week using an 8 Days in 15 Severn and Solent Rover, using 2 of the days as part of my travel down from Nottingham from Cheltenham onwards.

I’m not cancelling as on one of the days I am meeting up with friends in the area. My changed plans are to drive down to Chippenham, probably making a day of it through the Cotswolds along the Fosse Way. I will use my car a little bit whilst there but mainly intend to travel around Wiltshire and surrounding areas using the multi operator Wiltshire Day Rover bus ticket. Being over 60, but not quite yet at bus pass age, I think there is a concessionary version available at around £6.50. I’m hoping to visit lots of interesting towns and villages and do plenty of walking. It will be a week far more local to Wiltshire than my original plans were with the rail rover.

Now I’ve started planning I’m actually really looking forward to it. Two years ago when the hotels began to reopen following covid restrictions I had a few short breaks in country areas travelling there by car and doing lots of walking whilst there. Recently mainly as a result of the unreliability of some train services, with reduced timetables, cancellations, short forming etc, I’ve been doing that more often and also making use of bus day and weekly tickets. After years of holidays by train and using regional rail rovers I’m actually finding I’m quite enjoying this change. I think I will be booking a few more holidays of this type for the rest of this summer.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Apart from the railtours and one trip I really need to use the train for (Fort William to climb Ben Nevis), I’m just simply not going to book any significant domestic train travel as you just can’t rely on it running and I can’t be bothered with the constant admin and chasing companies for my money back and waiting for it.

I may continue to use the railway for shorter journeys when I know it is definitely running ie into Sheffield or Leeds.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've cut down on the number of hotel stays for the summer due to the potential of more issues. The hotels I've booked all have free cancellation (other than one premier Inn but that has fee free date swap).

I wonder how many other people have been put off travelling by train in this country due to the potential of strikes and either are going abroad on holiday or being like Chris and using their cars to reach the destination, or even not bothering with going away to save the money due to the rise of costs.

pnepaul

I had planned some rail journies for the week commencing June 21st. I've already pre-booked a couple of Premier Inns. Thankfully I do have Plan B, but it means using the car instead.

mmh

Established Member
I was going away for a short (journey and length) trip to Chester, returning on the first strike day. Luckily I hadn't booked the hotel. I'll just go for the day a day or two before instead.

I'm also going to Blackpool on the 26th - I had a thread a while back about train options on that day as Avanti services hadn't been confirmed yet. (South WCML engineering work that day) They have now. It's the day after the 3rd strike day, but the combination of potential residual disruption, people travelling a day later and the engineering work made me wonder if National Express was an option as my hotel was already booked. Turns out it is, with an ideal arrival time (30 mins before check-in time) and a pretty reasonable price.
So I'll tomorrow for the first time (I usually just use flexible tickets) I'll be using trainsplit to find the best fixed combination home. Only real downside is I'll miss my traditional stop off for a couple of pints in Preston.

P Binnersley

I've got a ticket booked for a strike day, hoping rail is still possible as booked on a through train; but if not will have to go by car (hotel is non-refundable).

I was going to use Eurostar back from a holiday in Germany while sampling the 9€ ticket, but now flying back instead (also cheaper, even with luggage).

Falcon1200

Established Member
I was planning to visit the East Lancashire Railway Diesel Gala in July, which would have included a hotel stay, but not now; No guarantee what train service will operate then.

Vespa

Established Member
I've got a ticket booked for a strike day, hoping rail is still possible as booked on a through train; but if not will have to go by car (hotel is non-refundable).
Snap ! I'm in that position myself booked advance ticket out 19th but coming back is 25th a strike day plus my hotel is non refundable.

Just found out if I put in for a refund I lose £10 in admin charge unless it's on a strike day but still need to get back home, considered driving down and parking outside London and tube it in.

Either way I would a few pounds down.

S&CLER

I've booked 3 nights in Great Malvern over the August Bank Holiday (26, 27, 28 August) through booking.com, but can cancel free of charge up to 23:59 on Wednesday 24 August, which should give me enough warning of any strikes, if they continue through the summer, or other disruption (engineering works for example).

miklcct

On Moderation
I will take a coach if the railway fails. If there is no alternative transport I'll have no choice but to cancel the trip and possibility claim travel insurance.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Snap ! I'm in that position myself booked advance ticket out 19th but coming back is 25th a strike day plus my hotel is non refundable.

Just found out if I put in for a refund I lose £10 in admin charge unless it's on a strike day but still need to get back home, considered driving down and parking outside London and tube it in.

Either way I would a few pounds down.
Won't your outward ticket be covered by the book with confidence scheme assuming it's an advance ticket?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm very fortunate that I have had zero plans affected by these strikes, although even when I book a journey just the night before as I did this week, there's always the doubt the train will turn up on the day. Both my long-distance journeys performed more or less perfectly yesterday, much to my incredible surprise.

It's truly a sad sign of the times when you expect, for the entire day, that your train home will be cancelled and you had to factor in delays/cancellations when choosing the train home :!:

For those who have been affected, I wish you all luck in sorting out alternatives/refunds/etc!

Traintripper

I’m going away 19th to 24th June, travelling from Shropshire to Glasgow. My plans were, go to Oban on the 5.20 train on the Monday and then make use of a 3 day central Scotland rover, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Only I could book a rail based holiday, on the week of strikes! As it stands I believe I can get there and get home, I’ll have to make the rest up when I get there.

317 forever

Established Member
I'm very fortunate that I have had zero plans affected by these strikes, although even when I book a journey just the night before as I did this week, there's always the doubt the train will turn up on the day. Both my long-distance journeys performed more or less perfectly yesterday, much to my incredible surprise.

It's truly a sad sign of the times when you expect, for the entire day, that your train home will be cancelled and you had to factor in delays/cancellations when choosing the train home :!:

For those who have been affected, I wish you all luck in sorting out alternatives/refunds/etc!
Ironically, I often find that the Saturday towards the end of the month is my favourite of the month for a daytrip. June was going to be an exception due to the Jubilee plus a personal significance of June 25th for which I am avoiding my transport hobby.

Like many of us, I have doubts about the weekend the Commonwealth Games start and the August Bank Holiday.

route101

Established Member
Not booked anything, don't tend to for daytrips far ahead. Will do something bus related instead.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Not actually concerning concerning strike days, but the Scotrail reductions have made cancel my night at Mallaig tomorrow as part of my Spirit of Scotland 8 in 15 pass, the only train back to Glasgow is at 06:03 which isn't ideal.
Off to Oban today, and will now have a few afternoon there as there isn't another train for 9 hours.

I have a Premier Inn booked in Newcastle for a night early in July, but no train tickets committed to as I was intending on getting to/from the east Midlands using Northern free tickets. I can always move the hotel booking to a different date if I'm concerned nearer the time.

xotGD

Established Member
Good news. Myself and colleagues from 'up north' no longer have to drag ourselves to London for a meeting next week. We can attend virtually instead.

Dr Day

Eurostar is still making no reference on (their travel info web page) to any strikes affecting their services. I presume they are therefore confident nothing in relation to Network Rail signalling staff striking is going to affect them? IIRC from one of the now closed threads there was talk of the infrastructure being maintained and operated by Network Rail, but only for a limited time - 10 hours was mentioned? Anyone able to clarify please?

Slight aside am disappointed Eurostar not making at least some reference to UK strikes for the benefit of those arriving from overseas and for those trying to connect from domestic into Eurostar services on the relevant days.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Neighbours with a close family funeral next week at Eastbourne have to go by road (dead early) as a result.

No doubt there will be other similar decisions by folk.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Direct from LNWR website, what would be my options ?

You can either change it, or exchange for a voucher

Vespa

Established Member
You can either change it, or exchange for a voucher
Thank you I will take that option up. Cheers

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not actually concerning concerning strike days, but the Scotrail reductions have made cancel my night at Mallaig tomorrow as part of my Spirit of Scotland 8 in 15 pass, the only train back to Glasgow is at 06:03 which isn't ideal.
Not ideal. Presume you didn't want to rely upon the slightly more reasonable 0850 bus connection from Mallaig into the 1140 train from Fort William?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Not ideal. Presume you didn't want to rely upon the slightly more reasonable 0850 bus connection from Mallaig into the 1140 train from Fort William?
Not really. I did look at that but with the lesser availability of trains in general and the reduced scope to visit the stations in the area I opted to spend more time in areas less affected by the reductions.

Was going to be travelling on the 23rd early morning to Liverpool South Parkway for a flight to Croatia with my friends. We have booked a travelodge the night before now, and somewhat ironically, my friends’s Dad is on strike and has offered to give us a lift to Liverpool.

AM9

Veteran Member
Currently in St Ives, the strike days have altered our plans for this week:
Planned to go to either Newquay or Looe on a Cornwall Day Ranger but no trains on strike days and potential disruption on days between them. Cornwall buses have really improved since we were last here 4 years ago. The Ride Cornwall ranger is no longer worth getting as there's no 2Together discount now, - and with an all Cornwall bus day pass being just £5.00, it means that the total cost is just £23.40, (2 X £9.20 + 1 X £5.00).
Getting back might be an adventure if seat reservations are cancelled but boarding the Paddington train at St Erth should give a fighting chance.

I'm out very early tomorrow (20th) as my 4 days in Plymouth were paid for and none refundable. There and back on "working days" and I'll see what I can do with the 3 in 7 Devon and Cornwall. Maybe some bus rides out?
We'll see. Anything is better than staying home.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Currently in St Ives, the strike days have altered our plans for this week:
Planned to go to either Newquay or Looe on a Cornwall Day Ranger but no trains on strike days and potential disruption on days between them. Cornwall buses have really improved since we were last here 4 years ago. The Ride Cornwall ranger is no longer worth getting as there's no 2Together discount now, - and with an all Cornwall bus day pass being just £5.00, it means that the total cost is just £23.40, (2 X £9.20 + 1 X £5.00).
Getting back might be an adventure if seat reservations are cancelled but boarding the Paddington train at St Erth should give a fighting chance.

I would guess try and board near the front, as there might be more seats there (using the assumption that some passengers are a bit lazy and will board the first available door at the terminus station).

There are some nice bus routes in Cornwall, over areas not served by the trains, I'm sure you will make the most of that day bus ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.