• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing Railcard on issued ticket?

TonyR

I have an Advance Standard ticket I bought via the RailUKForums ticketing to go Euston-Preston next week on Avanti splitting at Coventry. I used my Senior Railcard in the purchase. My partner has now said she’d like to come with me. We have a Two Together Railcard. Is there any way to use that to get her ticket discounted too? She doesn’t qualify for a Senior Railcard yet so it would either mean switching my ticket to the TTR or doing one on the SR and one on the TTR (is that allowed even?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Unfortunately it isn’t possible to change the Railcard discount on a ticket nor to purchase only one ticket with a Two Together discount.

fandroid

Established Member
There's really no way out of this as the ticket you bought is an Advance and cannot be refunded. The only (unlikely) way out would be to plan to have another future Euston to Preston trip on your own, so you could then get the ticket date and time changed for the usual £10 fee.

Flexible tickets can be like a good insurance policy and on many occasions can be little more expensive than Advances.

smsm1

About ten years ago I once used the wrong Railcard accidentally and the person issuing the tickets at the ticket office did a zero value excess to the correct Railcard. So as ticket office can issue advance ticket there's a small chance they might be able to do something, though I suspect their system will require using both tickets at the same time for the two together Railcard which will stop that working.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
About ten years ago I once used the wrong Railcard accidentally and the person issuing the tickets at the ticket office did a zero value excess to the correct Railcard. So as ticket office can issue advance ticket there's a small chance they might be able to do something, though I suspect their system will require using both tickets at the same time for the two together Railcard which will stop that working.
Most ticket offices used different systems 10 years ago, more modern systems may struggle with this.

TonyR

Thanks and it’s what I thought was probably the case. The saving is less than the £10 change fee so not worth it. Flexible tickets are a lot more expensive on this particular journey so I’ll just have to tell her to stay home
Using two tickets at the same time is not the problem as she will be travelling with me but I’ve bought her a non-discounted ticket now so that option will remain untested for now.

zero

Perhaps, if you had asked, the forum site (trainsplit) would have made an exception to the £10 admin fee or charged a lower fee in this case?