• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing start point of Offpeak return after outbound leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to help a young person who bought a York-Chesterfield (YRK-CHD) offpeak return with a 16-25 railcard on Friday (£17.50), planning to return today (Sun). She would now prefer to return early on Monday, when the return portion of YRK-CHD off-peak tickets are not valid.

Had she planned the return trip for Monday from the outset, I believe she would have been OK buying a Harrogate(HGT)-CHD offpeak return (£18.90 with 16-25), starting short at York on Friday. Such a ticket is valid for any return train via York early on a weekday morning, and she could have broken her return (CHD-HGT) leg in York.

Having already done the outward YRK-CHD leg on Friday, can she excess the ticket at CHD booking office tomorrow morning for the £1.40 extra that it would have cost for the HGT-CHD ticket compared to YRK-CHD?

(I did call National Rail enquiries to ask but the guy kept going away to check with a manager, then coming back with the answer to a different question!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I am trying to help a young person who bought a York-Chesterfield (YRK-CHD) offpeak return with a 16-25 railcard on Friday (£17.50), planning to return today (Sun). She would now prefer to return early on Monday, when the return portion of YRK-CHD off-peak tickets are not valid.

Had she planned the return trip for Monday from the outset, I believe she would have been OK buying a Harrogate(HGT)-CHD offpeak return (£18.90 with 16-25), starting short at York on Friday. Such a ticket is valid for any return train via York early on a weekday morning, and she could have broken her return (CHD-HGT) leg in York.

Having already done the outward YRK-CHD leg on Friday, can she excess the ticket at CHD booking office tomorrow morning for the £1.40 extra that it would have cost for the HGT-CHD ticket compared to YRK-CHD?....

The answer will depend on who is on duty on Monday morning.

Personally, provided she gets it before boarding the train, I don't think there is a problem with that, but I stress that this is my reading of the rules and it may not be the same as other peoples reading.

I'd very much avoid mentioning stopping short at York though, that's only going to add confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.