• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Channel Tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewE

Established Member
I have just noticed that the puff for "Channel Tunnel: Life On The Inside" tonight on Yesterday channel (Category: News/Current Affairs, Episode 2 | Season 1) says
With up to 400 trains a day on its 62 miles of track, the channel tunnel is the busiest railway system in the world -
which I find hard to believe.
Apart from the fact that the length is irrelevant to how busy it is, surely the flighting of trains running at 3 speeds (as I understand it) on 2 tracks (which is relevant) must mean that there is a railway, maybe LUL or the Elizabeth line) which can or does run more?
400 a day is 200 in each direction, 8.3 per hour or 7.2 min headways on average. Doesn't sound extreme to me...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I've seen a recent industry (web) story that claims that the Channel Tunnel is capable of handling 1,000 trains per day, which seems to be rather impressive utilisation.

Extract...
GE (Grid Systems) replaced the old power management system, called SVC, with STATCOM, a static synchronous compensator, custom-adapted to the needs of the Eurotunnel. As a result, the power system now enables 16 trains simultaneously in the tunnel, and up to 1,000 trains every 24-hour period.

paul1609

Established Member
I have just noticed that the puff for "Channel Tunnel: Life On The Inside" tonight on Yesterday channel (Category: News/Current Affairs, Episode 2 | Season 1) says

which I find hard to believe.
Apart from the fact that the length is irrelevant to how busy it is, surely the flighting of trains running at 3 speeds (as I understand it) on 2 tracks (which is relevant) must mean that there is a railway, maybe LUL or the Elizabeth line) which can or does run more?
400 a day is 200 in each direction, 8.3 per hour or 7.2 min headways on average. Doesn't sound extreme to me...
I suspect it depends how you define busy. The HGV shuttles on Eurotunnel are for instance 36 vehicles plus 2 locos. The Passenger shuttle 28 vehicles plus 2 locos.

Status
Not open for further replies.