• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chaos at Waterloo 24/01

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I've got an example of sidings....One day I had worked a train and something happened so my Weybridge was cancelled.So what they made me do was take the train to Clapham Yard to get it out of the way and free up a platform at Waterloo and bring the train back at an appropriate time.Generally when it was due back from Weybridge.

I was coming back from Weybridge yesterday and when I got to Clapham Junction Station they had terminated a ten car on the other platform and it went into the sidings.They must have been getting a bit tight for space at Waterloo.
I guess the extra platforms at Waterloo will help when they come into use.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
In an ideal world SWT would have access to sidings at Woking and Guildford, that would allow many more services to turnround at those locations and restart their next services right time subject to crew availability. In my opinion that would enable services to get back to normal much earlier and preferably before the evening peak.

All the electrified sidings are available to swt at Guildford. (up carriage and north box on down) also generally a platform at guildford can be used to hold for a while and turn around stock, though not massive capacity.

#2 siding on the upside at country end woking is electrified and used by swt at times as are east end sidings at london end downside which are regularly used as is platform 6 at woking.

More of the sidings at woking are due to be upgraded and electrified ( and i think some may be cet'd) for swt use in line with the increase in rolling stock, though not sure when this is going to happen.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Yep I was told the facility for the signaller to broadcast over a train's PA system is really for an emergency situation where they can't contact the driver and the vigilance/DSD device has stopped the train. Obviously the driver is likely to be incapacitated in these circumstances and it enables the signaller to speak directly to passengers.

Very different from the location specific GSMR broadcasts which play over a loud speaker in the cab to alert the driver to something.

Not sure if the emergency broadcast function has been used as yet?

Aye,yes and possibly.

I guess the extra platforms at Waterloo will help when they come into use.

Here's hoping but will there be any spare capacity for when things get buggered up and crews are displaced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.