• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chapel en le Frith - 'alterations'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
I went to my local station this morning for a train to Buxton. The station is on a 1tph each way branch line and has a level crossing. The level crossing is a right of way for a couple of houses across the tracks, and the only way to cross the platforms. The station is at least 500 yards from the nearest main road, its on a hill well out of Chapel itself. This gives you an idea of location/setting if you didn't already know it, rural.

The alterations
You now cannot access the Buxton bound platform from the level crossing as there is a fence blocking access. Two footpaths come out at the L/C, ok not much of a detour but it almost renders the short-cut via 'the field' pointless.

The other alteration is a fence on the Manchester bound platform, making you cross the track, go through a gate, then back through another gate onto the platform as there is another fence there at the end of the platform. This has also been one of those wooden boards been installed on the floor.

I'm afraid I don't have photos but what I would like to say is I think it's a pointless waste of money. There was nothing wrong with the old way of accessing the Manchester platform/using the end of the platform on the Buxton bound side.

I could understand on a more well served line, at a station not on a branch line with non stopping services but at Chapel? It strikes me as silly.

I do not see why on earth these alterations were made as I have never witnessed anyone misusing the level crossing. I really think there was better things to spend money on but, rant over!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oddiesjack

I'm quite confused. As far as I remember, there isn't a footbridge on Chapel South station, so passengers going to Manchester or from Buxton will need to use the level crossing. Are you saying that you can no longer get to the crossing by walking down the ramp, and you have to go out of the station via a gate to get to the level crossing?

Chapeltom

Established Member
Correct, no footbridge.

Yes, correct you have to go down the Manchester bound platform, through a gate and out the station then back through another gate to use the level crossing. I just don't see the point.

When I get off a train from Buxton I will often walk in front of the train, providing of course the guard has not set the hussle alarm going for the doors to close. Often it's a good 15 seconds plus (and I'm often in the field!) before the train leaves. I presume this is what if anything they are trying to cut out but the fence at the bottom end of the Buxton bound platform is just pointless.

ian959

I think you just answered the question as to why they did it - safety issues. Both platforms got the same treatment to make sure all passengers are placed behind the flashing lights and barriers of the level crossing.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
been reports of quite a few near misses there over the last year or so. I think that may be behind the reasoning.

Chapeltom

Established Member
been reports of quite a few near misses there over the last year or so. I think that may be behind the reasoning.

Ahhh that will explain it. Not sure why the Buxton platform has had a fence put up on it though, as the most logical way from car-park to the Manchester bound platform is via the Buxton bound platform.

I have never seen anyone misuse the level crossing at the station but it used to be both the Manchester/Buxton trains left at :38 past the hour, so I can see why there were near-misses.

Status
Not open for further replies.