• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chapel en le Frith/Chinley to London -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all

Just want to know if this is beatable with 16-25 railcard... Saturday 1st Sep. Want to be in London for midday absolute latest and leave central London anytime after 6.

This is the best I've done...

CEF to MAN return - £6.15
MAN to EUS - £11.90 advance on 0855
EUS to MAN - £11.90 advance on 1920
Z1-4 Travelcard (off to Thornton Heath for Crystal Palace v Wednesday) £7.70
= £37.65

Would book an advance from Thornton Heath but not to it, to give some time in London pre-game

I know its possible to do LM only SOT to EUS for £16.15 and do CEF to Disley £2.85, DSL to SOT for £7.80, + Z1-4 travelcard = £34.50.

If not, doesn't matter. Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
0712 Chinley - Sheffield 0757
0805 Sheffield - Nottingham 0902
0928 Nottingham - London St Pancras 1113

1915 London St Pancras - Nottingham 2059
2115 Nottingham - Sheffield 2213
2224 Sheffield - Chinley 2304

Specify via Langley Mill on http://www.buytickets.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk and also get discount, booking on other websites the advance tickets will be around a £1 more.

Outward Advance EMT + CONNECTIONS £15.85
Return Advance EMT + CONNECTIONS £13.85
London Zone 1 -6 Travelcard £5.60

Total cost : £35.30

Also in your above calculations you forgot to give the Y-P discount on the travelcard, the cost is actually £5.60 so your revised total would be £35.55

It's up to you :

£35.30 via Sheffield
£35.55 via Manchester

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Two points at this end. With a 16-25 railcard you can get a zones 1-6 travelcard for £5.60. If you have an Oyster card with the discount attached then there is a further discount on the zones 1-4 cap to £5.10. And depending on what you want to do in London before hand, the railcard discounted fare from St Pancras (short walk from Euston) to Thornton Heath changing at Streatham is just £1.60 each way.

The other point is that as an Eagle I have to hope you have a thoroughly miserable trip back up north. ;)

Edit: And with Sonic's suggestion the rail only (no underground) option from St Pancras looks even more worthwhile.

Chapeltom

Established Member
0712 Chinley - Sheffield 0757
0805 Sheffield - Nottingham 0902
0928 Nottingham - London St Pancras 1113

1915 London St Pancras - Nottingham 2059
2115 Nottingham - Sheffield 2213
2224 Sheffield - Chinley 2304

Specify via Langley Mill on http://www.buytickets.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk and also get discount, booking on other websites the advance tickets will be around a £1 more.

Outward Advance EMT + CONNECTIONS £15.85
Return Advance EMT + CONNECTIONS £13.85
London Zone 1 -6 Travelcard £5.60

Total cost : £35.30

Also in your above calculations you forgot to give the Y-P discount on the travelcard, the cost is actually £5.60 so your revised total would be £35.55

It's up to you :

£35.30 via Sheffield
£35.55 via Manchester

Hmm, very interesting! Thanks for that, in a way going via Sheffield would get me with other Wednesday fans going via Manchester would give me an easier walk home (15 minutes over half an hour!). That's actually given me a very tough choice. I may stick to Manchester. Going down to MML for the Brighton game anyway, plus I'm probably gonna be drinking at Euston Tap and down towards Victoria station.

Thank you.

And thanks for pointing out a 16-25 discount on a Z1-6 travelcard, I was unaware of that. I'll probably be ticking a few Wetherspoons in central London before hand so its gonna be useful.

Anyone know an off licence in or Euston/St Pancras station? Preferably one that doesn't charge obscene amounts? I'll want a drink on the train home... especially if we win :lol:

Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
Anyone know an off licence in or Euston/St Pancras station? Preferably one that doesn't charge obscene amounts? I'll want a drink on the train home... especially if we win :lol:

Each has an M&S which sells its own brand beer, wine and spirits at a reasonable price.

clagmonster

Established Member
(off to Thornton Heath for Crystal Palace v Wednesday) £7.70
= £37.65
I would go to Norwood Junction or Selhurst, both are nearer to the ground than Thornton Heath. Last time I visited Selhurst Park with the mighty Tigers special stop orders at Selhurst were placed on fasts to Victoria, giving a much quicker journey.
A railcard discounted Zones 1-6 Travelcard would cost the same as the 1-4 version at £5.60.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, just to add that if you stick to Zones 1-4 (ie go no further out than Norwood / Selhurst), then you would be cheaper using an Oyster Card with your railcard loaded. This will then cap at £5.10.

redthunder

Theres a few off licences also over the road from St Pancras and Kings Cross stations, however be careful, check if the train that your travelling on doesnt have an alcohol ban especially because I believe the paralympics are on on the day that you are travelling as some train operators may do that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.