• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chard Crossing - AHB or MCB?

Future

Morning, I am currently researching Chard Crossing and trying to determine its type. The original 1982 Chard Junction diagram does not specify directly whether it is an AHB or MCB but it lacks any obvious controls for manual barriers and has controls similar to the other AHBs under its control. Despite this, the later 2009 Chard Junction panel (installed for the Axminster double tracking) displays it directly as an MCB. Would anyone happen to know if it has changed from AHB to MCB or has been MCB throughout? Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lucy1501

It would not make any sense to have an AHB positioned right next to a signal box, it had always been an MCB/MCG crossing.

Having looked at the 1962 signal box diagram and 1982 panel, it is most certainly an MCB. Both show only one barrier on either side of the railway, extending fully cross the track.

In cases where a panel is provided, the controls for the nearby MCB are generally still kept on a separate barrier pedestal by the windows. If you try to find an alternative angle you should find it.

Gloster

Established Member
It was MCB throughout. I visited the old box circa 1983 and it was a quite normal set up for a crossing loop on a single-line with a level-crossing. The barriers were controlled from the box and, I think, dated from the 1967 resignalling, if not earlier.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Chard Junction was an MCB up until box closure. It is now CCTV controlled from Basingstoke, with much of the same equipment still in situ.

Annetts key

Established Member
Going on the Google street view pictures, the barriers are BR Western Region type. These are/were never used for automatic crossings. And it's not unusual for a single (full road width) barrier to be used on country lanes, as the booms can be longer than on some other barrier types.

BR Western Region type barriers date from the 1960s to the 1970s.

I don't know about other former BR regions, but Western Region practice was to always provide a separate level crossing control pedestal. This is mounted near the relevant window of the signal box for MCB installations.

Only CCTV controlled crossings had the level crossing controls integrated into the the main signal panel.