• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Charges for reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennorthyork

I'm planning to do an ALR and would like to reserve a seat on some services which I think will be busy. Can I do this? Does anyone know which companies would charge for the reservation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
You can definitely do this! I don't National Express are charging at the moment, but they appear to be doing so in the not-too-distant future. Apparently it's going to be£2.50 for a seat. To be honest, if you can get to Coach G on the Electric services (unreserved buffet coach) you should be fine, especially North of Newcastle.

The other charge is Sleeper Berths, but currently Seated Sleeper is free of charge.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I always go for coach G on the IC225, especially if I pick it up at it's starting point, no reservations, usually some empty seats and proximity to the buffet

bengolding

FGW officially charge for seat reservations, but I've found this depends on the ticket clerk at Paddington Adavnce travel. NXEC apparently will begin charging for reservations, but I thought this only applied to Standard Class tickets only?

glynn80

Established Member
Not for rovers I'm told.

This is correct, the FRPP has the following for Seat Reservations on FGW.

Seat Reservations – First Great Western

Trains on which accommodation can be reserved are shown in the National Rail Timetable.

The seat reservation charge is £5, except in the following circumstances where reservation is free of charge:

· one reservation if reserved at the time of purchasing the ticket;

· wheelchair spaces, assisted passengers and their companions;

· holders of Rail Rovers.

Reservations are only available to passengers buying or presenting a valid travel ticket. Only one seat reservation per passenger (plus connecting reservation where appropriate) can be made for each journey.

A seat cannot be reserved if no passenger is to occupy it, even if an extra ticket is purchased.

mathmo

A seat cannot be reserved if no passenger is to occupy it, even if an extra ticket is purchased.
How are they expecting to enforce that? I can't see anyone wanting to waste money with fares as they are today, but nevertheless...

glynn80

Established Member
How are they expecting to enforce that? I can't see anyone wanting to waste money with fares as they are today, but nevertheless...

Well for example if the guard walks through the train on a full and standing service and sees many bags/luggage are placed on seats, any passengers claiming they have "reserved" that seat specifically for their bag and have purchased tickets for that purpose will not be able to keep their belongings next to them and will have to allow someone standing to occupy that seat instead.

I myself have been requested to sell full open tickets to people at hundreds of pounds just so people can place their belongings next to them and have also seen many guards ask people to move luggage on seats so people can sit down. Both are regular occurrences.

mathmo

I myself have been requested to sell full open tickets to people at hundreds of pounds just so people can place their belongings next to them and have also seen many guards ask people to move luggage on seats so people can sit down. Both are regular occurrences.
I can understand the latter (totally reasonable - I nowadays do my best to avoid taking up a seat with my luggage, unless there's loads of space) but am amazed at the former - do some people have more money than sense? If so, then they're right to prevent it!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
"Reservations are only available to passengers buying or presenting a valid travel ticket."

How are you meant to reserve for a rover trip then, given that you can't buy them more than 3 days in advance?!

The chances of getting a decent seat 3 days in advance will be round about nil, especially on Farce HST refurbs!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't know but on a meet we did on FGW a woman refused to move her bags so the conductor said if she didn't move them he'd charge a SOS for the bags, this may have been 2006ish. She then moved them I believe. That seems to be at odds with this policy so maybe it's changed.

Last edited:

glynn80

Established Member
I can understand the latter (totally reasonable - I nowadays do my best to avoid taking up a seat with my luggage, unless there's loads of space) but am amazed at the former - do some people have more money than sense? If so, then they're right to prevent it!

Once had a Premiership footballers wife who wanted to purchase four First Class Open Returns for herself, her new-born son (didn't need a ticket anyway) and two tickets for her baby carrier. She also insisted on reserving a table for four.

Status
Not open for further replies.