• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Charter Trains to Matlock and Rowsley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Is it operationally possible to operate charter trains to Matlock and then onto Peak Rail at Rowsley within the constraints of the existing signalling system and hourly EMR service on the Matlock branch?

If so, when is the last time it happened and are there any plans for future charter trains to Matlock or Rowsley?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is the NR > Peak Rail connection available? last time i was there PR trains were not running into the main station for some reason.

Chris125

Established Member
Charters can - and occasionally have - run through to Matlock and Peak Rail since the line was upgraded, about a decade ago I think?

pdeaves

Established Member
Is the NR > Peak Rail connection available? last time i was there PR trains were not running into the main station for some reason.
I believe it is. I think the problem is no run-round facility at Matlock (main line), so popular days where they want a steam engine they can't run through.

dggar

I believe it is. I think the problem is no run-round facility at Matlock (main line), so popular days where they want a steam engine they can't run through.
Didn't they top and tail their trains into Matlock, pre lockdown.

12LDA28C

Established Member

A problem easily solved by top-and-tailing which is the usual method of operation in these situations. The steam loco on one end and usually a diesel on the other, on charters at least.

LowLevel

Established Member
The reason they stopped using Matlock station for Peak Rail was the economics of using 2 locos - they've now rigged up a coach to use for propelling so hope to return there.

As for running off the NR branch, yes it's possible, though only late at night or on Sundays owing to timetable constraints. The most regular use is the railhead treatment train which goes into the loop there to let the last passenger service run.

plugwash

Established Member
IIRC peak rail normally run into matlock top and tail with one diesel and one steam loco but for a couple of months in the winter they run to riverside because that has a run-round look and thus only requires one loco.

petwall

The reason they stopped using Matlock station for Peak Rail was the economics of using 2 locos - they've now rigged up a coach to use for propelling so hope to return there.

As for running off the NR branch, yes it's possible, though only late at night or on Sundays owing to timetable constraints. The most regular use is the railhead treatment train which goes into the loop there to let the last passenger service run.
Basically correct: however services into Matlock have resumed over the half term holiday and will be operating using the following method tomorrow 22nd
The train is propelled back to Riverside where the locomotive runs round before heading back to Rowsley.
This method of working was first used on December 27th using 5553 and on the 15th, 18th, & 19th of this month using Eustace Forth

Status
Not open for further replies.