• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest car ferry to (Northern) Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Evening folks.

Would anyone know what the cheapest way to get to Bangor in Northern Ireland would by car from where we’re based (Exeter)?
Normally we fly from Exeter or Bristol but unfortunately my other half’s stepfather has recently been diagnosed with cancer and we need to go over just after Christmas (my other half is from NI and her mum and other family live over there).
We could probably head over on any of the crossings as the mileage would be similar for us wherever.
We could do with taking the car as it puts less pressure on her mum than if we fly and she has to pick us up etc...
Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bangor-toad

Hi there,
Well as you can guess from my username I think I can provide some specific help...

Generally the cheapest ferry is the crossing from Cairnryan to Belfast or Larne. Of course, that's a long way up to Scotland from Exeter.
About the same price is the PO Liverpool to Dublin crossing - if you take the daytime sailing and don't need a cabin.
The Stena Liverpool to Belfast run is my next choice. Overnight cabin's are generally an extra £65.
The route I find is normally the most expensive is the Holyhead - Dublin route.

The wildcard is Seatruck freight ferries. The cost of this is fixed but there's not always availability. It also really is an industrial truck ferry without the frills of "normal" ferries.

I hope this is useful.
Mr Toad

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mr Toad that is very helpful indeed. I’ll do a bit of digging tomorrow and reply when I’ve got some prices etc.
We’ve been over at least twice a year for the last ten years but never actually driven it...
Much appreciated thank you.

PFX

There's also a Liverpool to Belfast option to consider however, if it's just after Christmas when you're travelling, expect fares to be higher than other times of the year no matter which route you sail on.

If you can sail at the most inconvenient times, i.e. the middle of the night, it'll be cheapest. You can get a single from around £110 each way. Other sailings will probably be in the region of £130+ each way for car and 2 passengers. I normally find that all the ferry companies are within £10 or so of each other for similar sailings. The cynic in me suspects some sort of price fixing.

Veteran Member
Totally random, but is flying and hiring a car an option, or would that just be undiplomatic?

Just thinking it's quite a drive.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The problem is that we’ll probably have at least three teenagers in tow (and that’s after leaving two others plus one 21 year old behind). This is where it gets expensive, and whereas it wasn’t too bad a few years ago when they were all under 14 - now it’s very expensive but we’re still having to pay for it..!

kevconnor

two good websites to use for price comparing
www.aferry.co.uk
www.directferries.co.uk

A few things, it doesn't list SeaTrucks. Whichever comes out as cheapest it maybe cheaper to go direct. A few other hints and tips
- you can get 5% cashback via sites like quidco, as long as you don't have another discount code
- you can sometimes in offpeak periods get discount codes if you sign up to email alerts (or just google the ferry company and 'discount code')
- Stena and P&O have discounted fares for anyone in full time education and I've never known them to check for student ID.
- My experience of price comparing trying to pay using Tesco Clubcard Vouchers is the price is normally inflated compared to how much it is without paying using clubcard vouchers.

EAD

So if I have understood correctly 5 people (teenagers and above, definitely 2 adults) from Exeter to Bangor (Down) just after Christmas and back.

Flying is obviously the most convenient (and noted re being picked up), but if you flew EXT to BHD you would be nice and near to Bangor so could get a taxi arranged or hire a car. Of course prices are high that time of year so you could end up spending £750 - £1000.

In terms of ferry and factoring in a drive from Exeter the overnight Birkenhead to Belfast would probably give the most relaxing experience and avoid potential hotel costs - a 4h30 roughly 260 mile drive and then overnight on the ferry. Putting in days just after Christmas and NY for the return based on 2 adults and 3 students (is 16+ on Stena) that would be £300 return excluding cabins (and they hold up to 4 and are £65 a go). If they still count as children - up to 15 then it is £105 each way versus £150. If you add in the fuel (ignoring wear and tear) then I expect you are getting up towards £600 or more.

Holyhead to Dublin is looking to be around £450 return too, but is about 100 miles more driving from Exeter plus the drive up from Dublin.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So if I have understood correctly 5 people (teenagers and above, definitely 2 adults) from Exeter to Bangor (Down) just after Christmas and back.

Flying is obviously the most convenient (and noted re being picked up), but if you flew EXT to BHD you would be nice and near to Bangor so could get a taxi arranged or hire a car. Of course prices are high that time of year so you could end up spending £750 - £1000.

In terms of ferry and factoring in a drive from Exeter the overnight Birkenhead to Belfast would probably give the most relaxing experience and avoid potential hotel costs - a 4h30 roughly 260 mile drive and then overnight on the ferry. Putting in days just after Christmas and NY for the return based on 2 adults and 3 students (is 16+ on Stena) that would be £300 return excluding cabins (and they hold up to 4 and are £65 a go). If they still count as children - up to 15 then it is £105 each way versus £150. If you add in the fuel (ignoring wear and tear) then I expect you are getting up towards £600 or more.

Holyhead to Dublin is looking to be around £450 return too, but is about 100 miles more driving from Exeter plus the drive up from Dublin.

This is really good. I’ll look into it, thanks EAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.