• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Checking tickets when passengers change trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUC

Established Member
Travelling from Leeds to Halifax this morning, my daughter had to change at Bradford Interchange. To her surprise, all passengers had to go over to the barrier and have tickets checked before being able to board the Halifax train. Has anyone come across other examples of such on-station checking for passengers in the middle of a journey. Given there were only five minutes between trains, my daughter did observe that it was an unnecessary stress for passengers going to work to have to wait in a queue uncertain whether they would get through to their connecting train on time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
Travelling from Leeds to Halifax this morning, my daughter had to change at Bradford Interchange. To her surprise, all passengers had to go over to the barrier and have tickets checked before being able to board the Halifax train. Has anyone come across other examples of such on-station checking for passengers in the middle of a journey. Given there were only five minutes between trains, my daughter did observe that it was an unnecessary stress for passengers going to work to have to wait in a queue uncertain whether they would get through to their connecting train on time.

Rather depends on the layout of stations. Often happens e.g. at Manchester Piccadilly changing from Platforms 13/14 to the other platforms.

TUC

Established Member
Rather depends on the layout of stations. Often happens e.g. at Manchester Piccadilly changing from Platforms 13/14 to the other platforms.
But that at least is to a different part of the station. Bradford Interchange is just a small number of adjacent platforms.

Class195

Yes, it happens at a lot of stations now they have realised people are travelling for free.

Bradford, Shipley, Skipton, Keighley, Hull, York, Lancaster, Manchester Victoria and Piccadilly and Preston to name some of the big ones.

Class195

What Northern need to do is get the revenue teams back on the trains to catch the majority out.
I’ve only seen this happen once since lockdown ended on a Leeds to Manchester Victoria service.

Chris999999

Yes, it happens at a lot of stations now they have realised people are travelling for free.

Bradford, Shipley, Skipton, Keighley, Hull, York, Lancaster, Manchester Victoria and Piccadilly and Preston to name some of the big ones.
You mean they have only just realised people are travelling for free? This has been going on for donkeys years.

Llandudno

Established Member
Quite often you need to show tickets at Liverpool South Parkway if changing from mainline platforms to Merseyrail, and, of course from platforms 1 to 6 at Lime Street if transferring to Merseyrail

TUC

Established Member
Quite often you need to show tickets at Liverpool South Parkway if changing from mainline platforms to Merseyrail, and, of course from platforms 1 to 6 at Lime Street if transferring to Merseyrail
Maybe so, but this was Northern to Northern!

matt_world2004

Established Member
Happens at Ealing Broadway when people are walking from the central line /district line onto the westbound TfL rail/GwR platforms. Always TfL rail ticket inspectors

D6975

Established Member
In any case you can do any change at Manc Picc without passing the gates, you just use the footbridge.
No you can't. They put the checkpoint on the footbridge between 13/14 and the rest of the platforms, so any change to/from 13/14 has to go through the check.

Dave91131

Happens at Ealing Broadway when people are walking from the central line /district line onto the westbound TfL rail/GwR platforms. Always TfL rail ticket inspectors

On a couple of occasions shortly prior to lockdown I noticed said inspectors however they were making no effort to inspect tickets.

Perhaps providing a visual deterrent to ticket-less chancers only?

D6975

Established Member
Other places where you have to go through barriers/checks to access certain platforms are Cardiff, Shrewsbury and Glasgow Queen St. (and Central come to think of it)

Starmill

Veteran Member
What Northern need to do is get the revenue teams back on the trains to catch the majority out.
I’ve only seen this happen once since lockdown ended on a Leeds to Manchester Victoria service.
What do you mean by "back"? Before the pandemic the conductor, assisting conductor or ticket examiner would check tickets on trains.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
At Birmingham New Street, passengers using the ‘A’ end stairs are used to having tickets checked at the barriers at the top of the stairs to access the concourse/exit, and once more to access the platforms again. At Edinburgh, arrivals on P14-P17 need to use ticket barriers to access the other platforms. Several times at Preston there have been ticket checks on both overbridges (though these checks seem to be less common lately). It’s certainly not unique to Bradford.

matt_world2004

Established Member
On a couple of occasions shortly prior to lockdown I noticed said inspectors however they were making no effort to inspect tickets.

Perhaps providing a visual deterrent to ticket-less chancers only?
They checked mine a few times.

No you can't. They put the checkpoint on the footbridge between 13/14 and the rest of the platforms, so any change to/from 13/14 has to go through the check.

Not so, this was discontinued several years ago by order of the station management. Any revenue checks done there are merely ad-hoc. The only manual checks done are between platforms 8 and 11, so the over bridge offers access to all platforms for interchange purposes without the need to re-pass thought a ticket gate or manual inspection.

TUC

Established Member
What do you mean by "back"? Before the pandemic the conductor, assisting conductor or ticket examiner would check tickets on trains.
Only 'allegedly' when it comes to Northern.

Class195

So too would the revenue teams when moving out to a location and using the train.

That is what I meant by my comment.

theironroad

Established Member
But that at least is to a different part of the station. Bradford Interchange is just a small number of adjacent platforms.

As you say, "just a small number of adjacent platforms", it's a tiny station and unless there were hundreds of interchanging passengers I don't see what the issue is with having a intermediate ticket check.

'Unnecessary stress' , 'uncertainty', you make it sound like a lawsuit is in the offing for the trauma suffered.

Most fare paying passengers would welcome any attempt to stop people scamming the system and trying to travel for free.

TUC

Established Member
As you say, "just a small number of adjacent platforms", it's a tiny station and unless there were hundreds of interchanging passengers I don't see what the issue is with having a intermediate ticket check.

'Unnecessary stress' , 'uncertainty', you make it sound like a lawsuit is in the offing for the trauma suffered.

Most fare paying passengers would welcome any attempt to stop people scamming the system and trying to travel for free.
I mean in the sense of creating anxiety that the connecting train will depart whilst you're stuck in a queue, at a station where you are only having to change trains because of how Northern have chosen to schedule their services at the moment.

There is also a psychological, customer care issue here. Passengers are used to having their tickets checked when starting or ending their journey, and sometimes on a train. Making passengers queue to get their tickets checked at a station mid-journey, for a service where it is would not usually be necessary to change trains and where people are hurrying to work, just seems like putting an irritant in passengers' way. Not a route to make travelling by train seem relaxed and pleasurable.

Check tickets when people are exiting stations certainly, but not at commuter times when they are simply changing trains in a small station.

sportzbar

Very strange considering the layout of Bradford interchange. Doesn't sound like a Northern policy more like a local supervisor trying to do something different....

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Done from time to time at Wimbledon, causing massive and potentially dangerous queues on the stairs and back onto the platform. That station desperately needs a second footbridge at the London end of the station to reduce crowding and improve dwell times by spreading waiting passengers along the length of the platform - at present all the churn as at the "country" end, near the bridge.

theironroad

Established Member
Done from time to time at Wimbledon, causing massive and potentially dangerous queues on the stairs and back onto the platform. That station desperately needs a second footbridge at the London end of the station to reduce crowding and improve dwell times by spreading waiting passengers along the length of the platform - at present all the churn as at the "country" end, near the bridge.

I'd agree that pre covid Wimbledon certainly have done with another footbridge, not sure if the demand will still be there.

As lovely as the revamped Reading station is, failing to replace the London end bridge was a major oversight imo, especially for passengers connecting from/to the Waterloo and Redhill lines.

4REP

I managed on Monday to travel from Shipley to KX without anyone checking my ticket and barriers were open at KX I did have a ticket but in theory could of travelled for free. TOCs must be losing revenue

Class195

I managed on Monday to travel from Shipley to KX without anyone checking my ticket and barriers were open at KX I did have a ticket but in theory could of travelled for free. TOCs must be losing revenue

Shipley has been a bit hit and miss lately which must be one of Northern’s problem stations for fare evasion because of the five different exits and entrances.

Did you catch the new LNER morning service? How was it loaded?

Class195

I've been on two Northern trains today and can report no onboard checks but the barriers at both Bradford and Leeds were working, so impossible to do this journey without paying.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I've been on two Northern trains today and can report no onboard checks but the barriers at both Bradford and Leeds were working, so impossible to do this journey without paying.
Unless you've still got one of the Northern complimentary tickets. ;)

D6975

Established Member
Not so, this was discontinued several years ago by order of the station management. Any revenue checks done there are merely ad-hoc. The only manual checks done are between platforms 8 and 11, so the over bridge offers access to all platforms for interchange purposes without the need to re-pass thought a ticket gate or manual inspection.
Isn't this exactly what I said???
I was talking about the temporary random checks mentioned in an earlier post, not regular checks. On the footbridge at Man Pic is where they often do this, thereby making it impossible to get from/to 13/14 without going through a check.

Status
Not open for further replies.