• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheddington up slow platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
LNR are tweeting that this is closed for 10 weeks for "emergency engineering works", with buses to Tring.

Anyone know why? Just stopped there (down slow) and nothing looked wrong with it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CHAPS2034

LNR are tweeting that this is closed for 10 weeks for "emergency engineering works", with buses to Tring.

Anyone know why? Just stopped there (down slow) and nothing looked wrong with it.

Seen reports that Cheddington platform 4 is closed for the next 10 weeks due to the platform having to be replaced throughout. The current platform is sliding down the embankment.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Up slow surely?

So is the line open but the platform closed|?

rower40

I guess that Bletchleyite was on a train stopping in platform 3 (on the down slow), and from that train he could take a good look at the face of platform 4 (up slow). If platform 4 is slipping down the embankment, then it'll be gradually moving away from the track, and increasing the stepping distance. Not something that can be seen easily from the opposite platform - at least, not till it gets really bad...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I guess that Bletchleyite was on a train stopping in platform 3 (on the down slow), and from that train he could take a good look at the face of platform 4 (up slow). If platform 4 is slipping down the embankment, then it'll be gradually moving away from the track, and increasing the stepping distance. Not something that can be seen easily from the opposite platform - at least, not till it gets really bad...

Yes, that is what I meant.

Yes, the line is open, a train ran through while we were stopped.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Good to know that trains won't be having tow eave accros the Down Slow for 10 weeks.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Seen reports that Cheddington platform 4 is closed for the next 10 weeks due to the platform having to be replaced throughout. The current platform is sliding down the embankment.
so that is the reason - thanks - I saw the notices at the weekend and wondered.

Will this impact on the secret underground lair that can be the only reason for the existence of Cheddington station ;)

BucksBones

As an inhabitant of said lair, I can confirm that platform 4 has been a bit dodgy for a long time. Apart from the whole structure sliding down into the field below, the wooden bits of the platform were clearly rotten and felt like walking on a trampoline. Not ideal!

Talking of Cheddington, there are some very interesting fences and gates on the station now. The only way to get to the footbridge to the up & down slow platforms (ie where all the trains stop) is to go through the security gates onto the down fast platform (the place the gates are meant to dissuade you from going) and onto the footbridge through another gate. That or walk through the permanently locked ex-ticket office. If that level of common sense is what we have to expect goodness knows what solution they will come up with for platform 4!

Last edited:

BucksBones

Cheddington Platform 4 is reopening on Saturday. Doesn't look like they've done a lot, just underpinned the dodgy bit with scaffolding.

Hilariously the Grand Reopening hasn't quite gone to plan. It seems southbound trains are not stopping at Cheddington because someone has forgotten to physically remove the barriers blocking the platform. No replacement buses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trog

Established Member
Could be worse some years ago the stairs to platform 4 collapsed during the morning 'rush' as the timbers were rotten.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As an inhabitant of said lair, I can confirm that platform 4 has been a bit dodgy for a long time. Apart from the whole structure sliding down into the field below, the wooden bits of the platform were clearly rotten and felt like walking on a trampoline. Not ideal!
So you are the passenger! It is nice to have your own station although yours has a better service than mine ;)

Hilariously the Grand Reopening hasn't quite gone to plan. It seems southbound trains are not stopping at Cheddington because someone has forgotten to physically remove the barriers blocking the platform. No replacement buses.
insert the LNWR benny hill music here!

Status
Not open for further replies.