• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chelmsford North Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugwash

I could not see a thread on this

As per reports from the local newspaper, it is due to open in 2025 and will be three track ( 2 platforms and a through track .

https://www.essexlive.news/news/chelmsfords-second-railway-station-beaulieu-1173854
The development of Chelmsford's second railway station has been delayed by extra three years.

Chelmsford City council previously expected the new station to be completed by 2022 but as they shed light on the progress of the "tortuous" scheme, confirmed that the plans are now not expected to be completed until 2025.

Vicky Ford, MP for Chelmsford, said that the "complicated" engineering process has become more complex with plans to implement a three-lane platform instead of two.

The Beaulieu Park Station Group, comprising Essex County Council, Chelmsford City Council, Network Rail, Greater Anglia, developers Countryside Zest and the South East Local Enterprise Partnership, and chaired by Vicky Ford, is steering the delivery of the station.

Chelmsford railway station is currently one of the busiest commuter stations in East Anglia, with the hope that this second station in the north of the city will ease some of that pressure from the current station...

I cannot see this happening, my guess is the developer will build the houses and then will not offer the funds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alfie1014

When at the SRA in 2000 I remember having discussions with the 'developers' about this station then! One of the issues at that time was that the TOC was less than enthusiastic as they had concerns that commuters from further out would simply rail-head down the A12 to catch trains to London and there would be a loss of revenue. 18 years on and it still looks as far away as ever!

Class 170101

Established Member
I could not see a thread on this

As per reports from the local newspaper, it is due to open in 2025 and will be three track ( 2 platforms and a through track .

https://www.essexlive.news/news/chelmsfords-second-railway-station-beaulieu-1173854

I cannot see this happening, my guess is the developer will build the houses and then will not offer the funds.

I think they can't do that as to expand beyond a certain number of houses the station has to be built.

Whether the the 3 platform station is what the railway needs there is another matter.

Last edited:

eastdyke

Established Member
I think they can't do that as to expand beyond a certain number of houses the station has to be built.

Whether the the 3 platform station is what the railway needs there is another matter.
Island platform serving up/down with a London facing central bay?
Would be able to enhance route capacity [rather than to further restrict it] by just having an island platform (no bay) served by up/down loops with (to the outsides) up/down mains. Loops would need to be of a very good length though to permit good entry/exit speeds - and of course there is no money for enhancements........
Someone must have had to consider it though.

Established Member
Many many years ago. The preferred layout then was up and down long (very long) loops on the inside of the main lines to allow for reversing trains conflict free at the new station. However the land take was too great which pushed the cost up. If it is ever built, no doubt the cheapest scheme possible will be chosen over the one that gives the most operational flexibility.

In fact a train was even taken out one Sunday to measure the running times for a new station. The driver joked it wouldn't be built in his lifetime. Sadly proved to be true.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It will only happen if the timetable works with it; i.e. the infrastructure will need to be provided that enables the timetable to be worked. That means loops, and good ones.

Authorities in the east if England have learnt that lesson with Cambridge South (after some excellent work by those involved).

Established Member
It will only happen if the timetable works with it; i.e. the infrastructure will need to be provided that enables the timetable to be worked. That means loops, and good ones.

Authorities in the east if England have learnt that lesson with Cambridge South (after some excellent work by those involved).

I’d like to believe you are right. I must learn to be less cynical.

Status
Not open for further replies.