• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chelmsford to East Cowes - with a bicycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugwash

National Rail gives a Route via Stratford ( London ) and the Underground, can I go via Liverpool Street and Cycle to Waterloo ? and is my bike allowed on the Ferry with the Rail ticket ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I haven’t been that way for some years, but you would probably have to go over the vehicle ramp under the instruction of staff, rather than up the pedestrian gangway. I would hope that the car marshalling staff would be trained on rail tickets, but I would allow a bit of time in hand in case they aren’t.

Haywain

Veteran Member
National Rail gives a Route via Stratford ( London ) and the Underground, can I go via Liverpool Street and Cycle to Waterloo ?
Yes, because your bike is not generally accepted on the underground (only certain sections of line, mainly sub surface rather then 'tube').

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
National Rail gives a Route via Stratford ( London ) and the Underground, can I go via Liverpool Street and Cycle to Waterloo ? and is my bike allowed on the Ferry with the Rail ticket ?
You can go via Liverpool Street - you can choose which station you want to interchange at. I imagine that Stratford is simply suggested because you then have the direct, fast Jubilee line rather than spending an extra 10 minutes on the train to Liverpool Street and then needing to change again to get to Waterloo (which is reflected in the journey time).

Non-folding bicycles are permitted on "sub surface" Underground lines, and "deep Tube" lines on stretches where they run entirely overground, at off-peak times. TfL has a map showing this. Of course you can cycle across London if you prefer (though I hope you have good life insurance!).

Bicycles are also permitted free of charge and without reservation on the ferry - see Red Funnel's website.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.