• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chernobyl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Established Member
OK in a week's time it will be 20 years since the explosion at the Chernobyl #4 reactor in Ukraine.

Particularly interesting site I found several years ago is here:

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/

Some people on /. have picked holes in the site, but the main purpose of it has been served. Provides an interesting look into the district as it is now.

Also some info at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_accident

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Good bit of urban exploration there. Saw on the new earlier about the ongoing effects of fallout on Welsh sheep farmers, I didn't realise this was still a problem.

Now for a 20 year old joke....why shouldn't you wear Russian underpants?
Because Chernobyl fallout.

Guinness

Established Member
Both interesting links. Thanks for that Tom.

If anyone wants to learn more about Chernobyl or an excellent reconstruction of events then watch the Chernobyl 'Seconds of Disaster' episode on National Geographic channel. :)

Simming

intresting links, and they make very good reading

Its so surreal though, it sounds just like a movie, you wouldn't think it is actually real.

the people that bring the kids over here in the sum hols.... are only in it for the money.. how nastys that :( it makes me really sad... cos my parents cant affored to bring one over here :(

jdjonnay

That kidofspeed site is a fake. There was a big debate about it when it first came out, and the author admitted it was fake "but made people think". It crops up every few weeks on various bike forums ;)

Interesting though aint it?

Tom B

Established Member
I know it's been discussed on various forums, I don't know whether it's been proven true or false.

Chris

What do you mean by fake? Is it photoshopped images of that lady or what? Certainly the way Pripyat loooks is genuine, you can see that from all the other sites, especailly if you google it.

Tom B

Established Member
I think some people doubted whether she'd done everything she said - some suggested she was on an official tour.

A contributor on Wikipedia summed it up nicely...

"Even if her personal "story" is a fake, you cannot "fake" an abandoned town"

Status
Not open for further replies.