• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chester station platforms poor condition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zontar

At this stage it's just money for studies, not for actual improvements on the rail estate.
I don't know what the London & Continental Railways interest is, but they appear to own some ex-BRB (non-operational) assets around the country.
That was my point they will "look into it" to discover they actually need way more money and either put it off further, or give it a token coat of paint.

I've heard it 2028 at the earliest for any real work on the station, it will have fallen down by then......
Indeed, the way the platforms are dropping at the moment, won't be long before we have another Northwich.

wobman

On Moderation
That was my point they will "look into it" to discover they actually need way more money and either put it off further, or give it a token coat of paint.

Indeed, the way the platforms are dropping at the moment, won't be long before we have another Northwich.
The pway were inspecting P3 this morning for structural faults, that will be another platform that will get the Jack's holding it up. We have P1 and 2 now held up by wooden blocks and Jack's....

Zontar

The pway were inspecting P3 this morning for structural faults, that will be another platform that will get the Jack's holding it up. We have P1 and 2 now held up by wooden blocks and Jack's....
Absolute joke. Temp fix for the foreseeable no doubt. I feel for the staff that have to work round all this. Must be quite an inconvenience all these platforms shutting without much notice.

wobman

On Moderation
Absolute joke. Temp fix for the foreseeable no doubt. I feel for the staff that have to work round all this. Must be quite an inconvenience all these platforms shutting without much notice.
If network rail close P3 for a week or more like they have with the other platforms recently, that will definitely cause chaos at Chester.
Whats worrying is a section of P4 platform collapsed around 10yrs ago and they just patched the hole. When doing the repairs they must have seen how structurally poor under the platforms is.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
But such things are clearly done with retail sales in mind, see also Manchester Airport where you have to walk through that ridiculous perfume section and come out stinking of Chanel Number 5 just to get to your departure gate.

The curse of UK airports, drives me mad.

I can't think of another airport anywhere in Europe which does this, it's pathetic.

Meerkat

Established Member
The curse of UK airports, drives me mad.

I can't think of another airport anywhere in Europe which does this, it's pathetic.
A few years back now but Malaga definitely did this (I was supposed to be flying out of Gibraltar...). The route to the gate was signposted via the huge shop, with no obvious route through - you just had to meander around hoping you were going in the right direction.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Probably the same reason the rest of the country tends towards a scruffy (at best) and dangerous (at worst) mess: for whatever reason we British seem to have an aversion to preventative maintenance, and prefer a reactive rather than proactive approach.

Chester must be among the worst though of the city stations I've been to in recent times.

Oxford too is really bad! But luckily there are plans to refurbish the station soon.

A few years back now but Malaga definitely did this (I was supposed to be flying out of Gibraltar...). The route to the gate was signposted via the huge shop, with no obvious route through - you just had to meander around hoping you were going in the right direction.
Naples Airport in Italy too, you have to walk through duty free on your way to the gate.

Last edited:

Brush 4

I haven't been to Chester for years but these descriptions sound like serious structural failures may be imminent. Should H&S be informed?

Established Member
Cwac commited to look into this very issue in 2020..... Not heard anything since
Given CWACs attitude to public transport destroying Ellesmere Port bus station and sticking some bus shelters in the back street, and flogging Chester bus exchange and opening the current place on the inner ring road... I look forward to a new improved Chester rail station* **

*Just after Blacon.
**In Wales

Last edited:

wobman

On Moderation
Given CWACs attitude to public transport destroying Ellesmere Port bus station and sticking some bus shelters in the back street, and flogging Chester bus exchange and opening the current place on the inner ring road... I look takes forward to a new improved Chester rail station* **
*Just after Blacon.
**In Wales
Cwac are very good at wasting taxpayers money, they are even better at putting up taxes !!! Chester is going backwards and the railway station refurbishment doesn't start until 2028....

D6130

Established Member
You should try Prague....it's even worse! TBH, it's a Europe-wide thing, if not World-wide. Presumably the rents from all those expensive shops helps keep the airports afloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.