• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chester Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaKing

In a months time i will spending a couple of days in Chester area. Any info regarding best platform and viewing depot very much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
In a months time i will spending a couple of days in Chester area. Any info regarding best platform and viewing depot very much appreciated.

I’d say platform three is best for viewing, if your interest is freight. Freight is normally booked for the through roads, and you’ll have the best view from there.

You sometimes get demic units in the sidings just off platform seven, along with the occasional 230 parked up there if that’s your interest.

I’d also recommend the short run to Crewe and back, sitting on the right to Crewe and on the left to Chester, as you pass Crewe electric depot, where you can see stored stored 90s in varying states of disrepair.

Pacef8

I would say the view from westminster bridge but its obscured with pipes and stuff.
Nice food in the new market as well.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I would suggest the west end of either Platform 3 or 4, but you will need an occasional walk to the east end to see trains terminating in the bay platforms at that end. No single location will let you see everything.

Dougal2345

Hope you're not going to spend your entire time at the station! (although obviously it's your choice!)

Having just come back from a weekend in Chester, I can recommend a walk around the city walls, very pleasant. That also has some railway interest as the railway cuts through the corner of the walls, isolating a corner tower (those Victorian vandals!). It's now linked with bridges so you can still do the complete 'wall walk'.

Very pleasant riverside walk available too, and don't miss the Grosvenor Park Miniature Railway - I believe they bring out a steam loco on special occasions.

I’d also recommend the short run to Crewe and back, sitting on the right to Crewe and on the left to Chester, as you pass Crewe electric depot, where you can see stored stored 90s in varying states of disrepair.

I haven't calculated the price-per-mile, but £14.80 for an anytime single (cheapest option) for this journey (which I had to make as part of my trip home) seemed high for a 20-minute ride in an elderly DMU - but I don't really understand ticket pricing. I was sitting on the other side so I could catch a glimpse of the APT-P :)

Last edited:

SeaKing

I will be staying in Chester for 2 nights. I intend buying a Cheshire Rover for the 2nd day, after arriving in Liverpool on the 1st day. Thanks to all for info, hopefully 777 might be sorted by 3rd week of June.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I haven't calculated the price-per-mile, but £14.80 for an anytime single (cheapest option) for this journey (which I had to make as part of my trip home) seemed high for a 20-minute ride in an elderly DMU - but I don't really understand ticket pricing. I was sitting on the other side so I could catch a glimpse of the APT-P :)

The alternative is abysmal - winding roads with constant speed limits through small villages and traffic jams that can extend the journey time up to 90 minutes. Rail has (and always has had) a captive market on this route.

Tezza1978

A walk round the City Walls is highly recommended, some excellent pubs in Chester too after you have spent some time at the station/watching the trains! Also the Zoo is superb if you are there for a couple of days, well worth a few hours of your time.

Krokodil

Established Member
70p/mile is a bit steep. A return is only 20p more though.

childwallblues

Established Member
I will be staying in Chester for 2 nights. I intend buying a Cheshire Rover for the 2nd day, after arriving in Liverpool on the 1st day. Thanks to all for info, hopefully 777 might be sorted by 3rd week of June.
When you go it is likely still to be solid 507/508 operation.
As far as location is concerned my choice is P4/7. With the PIS to hand you can cover most movements and Platforms 1 to 3 are visible. At the far side of the yard there are stored 175s and there is quite a bit of movement of new 197s. When I was there two weeks ago a pair of 153s came off the depot and went north through the station.If you are after the 230s you are likely to find most on Merseyrails Birkenhead North EMU Depot were they are based.

John Luxton

Established Member
If you fancy the bus, i would recommend catching the 22 Chester to West Kirby, takes around 85 minutes end to end, but is quite scenic route some journey's through Willaston, then Neston, Parkgate & Heswall, best part of the route is around Parkgate, here's the timetable

If going through Parkgate on the bus worth breaking your journey as its an interesting historic former port and featured in a recent BBC Villages By the Sea.

There are several pubs, restaurants and an above average Fish and Chip Shop there as well as a couple of home made ice cream outlets.

One could also walk part of the Wirral Way on the former GWR/LMS Joint branch line which runs up the Wirral Coast to West Kirby.

Status
Not open for further replies.