• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chester to Ellesmere Port via Helsby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sox

For reasons of rail exploration of an infrequent passenger service, I'm looking to go to from Chester to Ellesmere Port via Helsby.

The chap in the ticket office said "not permitted", whereas the guard on the Chester to Manchester train said "permitted".

Who was right and how can I present definitive proof if challenged by revenue protection?

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-25%20at%2021.19.26_zpscgpxaf0x.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It's valid.

Furthermore, it's less than half a mile longer than the shortest route (12.65 v 12.25) and a quicker route than waiting for the next Hooton train.

What ticket office? Chester?

Established Member

Sox

Cheers for responses, the ticket office was at Chester but I felt the guy was shooting from the hip in his reply.

The guard seemed more knowledgeable and was familiar with the odd working times of the Helsby to Ellesmere Port trains (which seem semi-parliamentary).

Interesting response re Cheshire Day Ranger as it will also get you to Piccadilly (possibly integrated as part of a wider exploration opportunity to mitigate cost). Although the ranger validity commencement time precludes the morning set of the odd ELP-HSB workings.

Ref Bletch's response, the NRE Journey Planner gives (weekday):

dep CTR 14:47, arr HSB 14:56
dep HSB 14:56, arr ELP 15:28

Is this considered court admissible evidence of a permitted route?

...and how would I cross reference Jake's mileage rule to something definitive.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
dep CTR 14:47, arr HSB 14:56
dep HSB 14:56, arr ELP 15:28

Is this considered court admissible evidence of a permitted route?

If it gives it as one ticket I'd say yes. It does tell you to split tickets if it isn't, so watch out for that.

I assume it isn't the 0 minute connection shown and that's a typo!

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes, the Ellesmere Port leaves Helsby at 1517.

If you can get National Rail or a train company's website to show the route as valid then it won't even get as far as court, provided you've saved it for future reference.

vjm1975

As long you are are not using the Merseyrail Area G daysaver at £3.80, normal Day Saver or Saveaway ticket to travel that route then Chester to Ellesmere Port via Helsby is fine.
I could guess that the ticket office staff at Chester thought the route wasn't valid as they tend to sell the Area G Day Saver ticket as a matter of course when requesting single or returns to Ellesmere Port.

I have used this route in the past, normally the 06:19 to Helsby, as it gets me in to Chester before Merseyrail does at that time, and gives me more leeway for my onward connection. (Have to wait at Hooton for 18 minutes at this time of morning). Had my ticket checked on both train to Helsby and ATW train to Chester with no issues.

I have also had itineraries on advance tickets which involve a change at Chester, and have given Ellesmere Port to Chester via Helsby as the route to take

Status
Not open for further replies.