• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chesterfield location

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadhatter

Hi all,

I'm thinking about heading up to the footbridge just north of Chesterfield station tomorrow over lunchtime. As I've never been there before can anyone recommend somewhere to park please and what I'd be likely to see.

In other words is it worth the hour plus drive!

Cheers, in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I don't have a car so don't know about parking but Chesterfield's a great town with a newly refurbished market hall, the crooked spired church which was climbable (not sure if it's still the case), and there's the infamous white elephant of platform 3 which is the last place to go trainspotting.

It's a very nice town.

Established Member
GrimsbyPacer:2442019 said:
I don't have a car so don't know about parking but Chesterfield's a great town with a newly refurbished market hall, the crooked spired church which was climbable (not sure if it's still the case), and there's the infamous white elephant of platform 3 which is the last place to go trainspotting.

It's a very nice town.
whats wrong with platform 3?

richieb1971

Established Member
I think Platform 3 see's no stops for any passenger traffic. Used mainly for freight.

You will see class 222 Meridians, 220 Voyagers XC, Some 66's, some Units for local traffic and maybe if your lucky a test train.

ANDYS

I understand that it is a little late for the original poster but for anyone else who is thinking of coming to Chesterfield then here is basic info from a local.

The bridge to the north of the station is about 5 - 10 minute work from the station. If you have a car then you can park at the bottom of the bridge and there is space for at least 2 - 3 cars, I've parked there hundreds of times. There are no 'facilities' of any kind so come prepared weather / food wise. For photos the only problem you might have is the sun (as the line runs north / south) and a very annoying phone wire that occasionally get's in shots. Have a look at my flickr and you will see hundreds of shots from the bridge and I have a link to this year's photos:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/66737297@N06/albums/72157663482217545

The station itself is very spotter friendly but there is no 'free' parking as such. You might get away with it for a little bit but I would not try for too long.

The staff are all very friendly and I have never had any issues at all here. There are no barriers, a newsagent (run by the same bloke who has been their since I was a boy and I'm 47!), a café and ticket office / waiting rooms.

The station has 3 platforms but number 3 is not often used unless their is any disruption when it can be used to allow trains to over take on the mainline.

Platform 1 & 2 see 90% of passenger traffic (XC, EMT, NR) and a fair bit of stone / aggregate / cement traffic up to the Peak quarries. 'Round the back' run two freight lines which can all be photographed from platform 3. An example is here:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66737297@N06/24231826172/in/album-72157663482217545/

Freight tends to come in bursts. We have upwards of 40 freight trains a day but a lot runs at night. Always check RTT to make sure you do not hit a quiet period.

We also have a large number of light engine moves between Toton / Peak Forest /Doncaster and Network Rail test trains often run through from / to Derby. Finally, if you are in the area on a weekend Barrow Hill Roundhouse is open (and free) most weekends.

If you do get the chance to get into town then it is only a few minutes walk uphill from the station. Head towards the Crooked Spire (you cannot miss it) and you will find everything you need.

Andy S

Status
Not open for further replies.