• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Child Rate Travelcards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I turned 16 on 10th January, and was wondering can I still use/buy a child rate travelcard?

I always thought once you were 16 that you'd have to pay for a adult rate travelcard but since I have a Zip Oystercard (11 - 15) and its still valid until September this am I still allowed to use child rate travelcards?

Any help would be useful. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You cannot buy a paper child travelcard once you have turned 16. However, if you travel using a zip oystercard, the daily price cap(s) will be applied at the child rate until the card expires.

Stigy

Established Member
I turned 16 on 10th January, and was wondering can I still use/buy a child rate travelcard?

I always thought once you were 16 that you'd have to pay for a adult rate travelcard but since I have a Zip Oystercard (11 - 15) and its still valid until September this am I still allowed to use child rate travelcards?

Any help would be useful. :)
As has been said, you have to now buy adult rate travelcards. Although, I believe you can buy at the weekly travelcards at Child Rate, using your Zip card, but must have it with you.

Daniel

Established Member
You can still get child rate weekly/monthly or longer season tickets, and use PAY-G at the Child rate, up until the discount expiration date shown on your oyster card.

Even if your Oyster card's discount is still in date, you cannot, however, purchase a paper child travelcard.

Check the back of your oyster card, by the way - if there is no "Card expiry date", and the card only has a "Discount expiry date" on the front, then you will able to carry on using your card once your discount has expired, it'll just turn into a normal adult oyster card, (saving you a £5 deposit on a new card).

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
As has been said, you have to now buy adult rate travelcards. Although, I believe you can buy at the weekly travelcards at Child Rate, using your Zip card, but must have it with you.

You can still get child rate weekly/monthly or longer season tickets, and use PAY-G at the Child rate, up until the discount expiration date shown on your oyster card.

Even if your Oyster card's discount is still in date, you cannot, however, purchase a paper child travelcard.

Check the back of your oyster card, by the way - if there is no "Card expiry date", and the card only has a "Discount expiry date" on the front, then you will able to carry on using your card once your discount has expired, it'll just turn into a normal adult oyster card, (saving you a £5 deposit on a new card).

Thanks for the replys they have been very helpful.

Looks like it will be adult travelcards from now on! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.