• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Child ticket - big mistake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotAChild

Last week I took a train from Nottingham to Leicester (I believe it was an East Midlands Railway service to London), and bought a child ticket as it was what I could afford. As you can probably imagine, I'm not a child.

I had my ticket checked by an inspector, initially I said I was 15 due to nerves but as soon as she pulled me to once side I handed over all my correct details. She put me under caution, gave me a well deserved telling off, and said I'd be getting a letter in the post. She mentioned that I could either do an out of court settlement, or go to court. Ideally I'd like to settle it out of court.

It's almost a week later now and I haven't heard anything from them. I'm not sure how long the process is meant to take, but based on other submissions I get the impression that it is meant to be a couple of days. The wrong thing to do would be to 'forget about it' as I hear horror stories of people not receiving letters, then months later having bailiffs at the door. So I have a number of things to ask from you guys -

1 - How long would it usually take for them to make contact with me?
2 - At what point should I try to contact them?
3 - Who would be the best people to speak with?

I don't want to hear about what my punishment will be, I'm already not doing too well and worrying about this is only going to make the situation worse. I just need some guidance on what proactive steps I should take.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Best advice is not to contact them. They have 6 months else the case will be timed out. Once they do, come back and let us know exactly what they say and we will then be able to give you the appropriate advice depending on what course of action they are proposing.

ic31420

It's safe to say any offer to settle, penalty or reparation will be monetary. So would be sensible to put a few quid away in the meanwhile to help put you in a position where you will be able to accept any settlement offer they my give you the option of.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I really wouldn't spend time worrying about it. You "may" be lucky and not receive anything. But the railway company have up to 6 months in which to write to you so as stated above, start putting some money aside in case they do write to you

If you don't hear, count yourself very lucky that you "got off" with a telling off.

Status
Not open for further replies.