• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Business Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

postye

I'm planning on doing a 1st Class ALR in the summer and want to use some of the loco hauled on Chiltern. I know Chiltern don't actually do first Class, but if I hold an ALR can I use Business Zone without paying a supplement?
Can't find anything on Chiltern website.

Many Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sparks2000

I made 2 journeys on the Chiltern route to Marylebone in Business Zone with a 1st ALR. I was charged the supplement in both cases. I have read since that it should be covered so it might be worth asking of the guard before you get too settled.

Seacook

I have travelled in the Business Zone twice with a FC ALR, most recently last month. No supplement was charged either time. I have not yet tried the effect of travelling from (say) Smethwick Galton Bridge to Solihull using my West Midlands nNetwork season ticket with the first class upgrade.

postye

Thanks for the responses so far - as I suspected it seems there is inconsistency at best.

I have emailed Chiltern customer services to see if they can provide an official stance/policy on this. I will report back if/when I get a response.

dcd

Thanks for the responses so far - as I suspected it seems there is inconsistency at best.

I have emailed Chiltern customer services to see if they can provide an official stance/policy on this. I will report back if/when I get a response.

This is the response I received when I asked

Thank you for your recent email.

I can confirm that a First Class Rover ticket is valid to use in our Business Zone. Unfortunately however, we do not offer a seat reservation system and you will just need to occupy an empty seat upon boarding.

Thank you, once again, for taking the time to contact us.

Yours Sincerely

Marc Costello

Customer Services

Banbury ICC

Merton Street

Banbury

Oxon

OX16 4RN

Phone: 08456 005165

Fax: 01926 729914

www.chilternrailways.co.uk

David Goddard

Established Member
This was the case two years ago when we used BZ. Doing it again this week and will let you know how we get on!

alchemy

Did a 1st ALR last summer and asked manager/ conductor about using business class before taking a seat. He said he had no problem with me sitting in business class and no supplement

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I have travelled in the Business Zone twice with a FC ALR, most recently last month. No supplement was charged either time. I have not yet tried the effect of travelling from (say) Smethwick Galton Bridge to Solihull using my West Midlands nNetwork season ticket with the first class upgrade.

Page 20 of the nnetwork leaflet specifically states that wouldn't be valid.

http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/web/FILES/_Tickets_2014.pdf

First Class travel
If you are travelling on the Coventry - Wolverhampton line, a number
of First Class services are available.
These tickets are not valid on Chiltern mainline “Business Zone”.

Seacook

Page 20 of the nnetwork leaflet specifically states that wouldn't be valid.

http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/web/FILES/_Tickets_2014.pdf

If I were looking for an argument I would present my ticket on the train and point out that the restriction applies to nTrain tickets and not necessarily nNetwork tickets. The former is not a subset of the latter as I understand it - it includes travel to some stations outside the West Midlands zones whereas the nNetwork ticket does not.

The reply would no doubt be that the description of the nNetwork FC add-on says only that it is "valid on a number of First Class services" and that Chiltern do not have any First Class services. (Curses! Foiled again.)

I am now wondering whether my ticket is valid for FC travel between University and Birmingham New Street. This, I believe, is the only journey not on the Wolverhampton-Coventry line which has first class fares.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Chiltern Mainline does not run Wolverhampton to Coventry
Chiltern runs Kidderminster to London Marylebone via Birmingham Moor Street & Banbury.

Yes.

That's why it says it's valid in First Class Wolverhampton to Coventry but not valid in Chiltern's Business Zone - so if you want to travel in that within the West Midlands that's not the ticket for you.

David Goddard

Established Member
This was the case two years ago when we used BZ. Doing it again this week and will let you know how we get on!

We took the 1015 Marylebone to Birmingham this morning and absolutely no problems! The staff were very pleasant, especially the buffet attendant who served us straight away and came back twice to check we were OK and needed anything else.

Haulage btw was DB red 67018 "Keith Heller"

Status
Not open for further replies.