• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Class 168 potential refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR165022

Ive noticed that 168215 was taken to crewe around a month or so ago and it is still there, could it be that it is getting a repaint/refurbishment or is it just there for regular maintenance?
as far as im aware, both the 168s and 165s are due a small refurb in the near future anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dooton

No, Unfortunately, 215 is away having fatality damage repaired. Due back in a couple of weeks.

168's will be getting a light touch refurb as part of our NRC (National Rail Contract). Due to start later this year.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No, Unfortunately, 215 is away having fatality damage repaired. Due back in a couple of weeks.

168's will be getting a light touch refurb as part of our NRC (National Rail Contract). Due to start later this year.

Interesting, they seem in very good condition internally and they look classy. Hopefully not a garish Arriva colour scheme like Northern! :)

dooton

I believe its seat covers, carpets, LED lighting a good clean and an exterior repaint. Not sure if the repaint is to be done separatley.

Units will also be away over the next couple of years for ATP removal and fitment of TPWS v4. (/0's/1's and /2's).

gabrielhj07

I believe its seat covers, carpets, LED lighting a good clean and an exterior repaint. Not sure if the repaint is to be done separatley.

Units will also be away over the next couple of years for ATP removal and fitment of TPWS v4. (/0's/1's and /2's).
Will the GWML be subject to the same ATP removal?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I hope that the refurbishments are not too extreme. The 168 is one of the nicest interiors around.
According to who? I find it rather depressing. One thing I would love is if other forumers would remember all interiors are subjective. :D

gabrielhj07

According to who? I find it rather depressing. One thing I would love is if other forumers would remember all interiors are subjective. :D
You are right it's subjective, I find it comfortable, clean and relatively quiet for a diesel. It may be a bit bland, but I'd rather that than bright & garish (SWR metro & to some extent C2C 357s)

Vanmanyo

I've had an update on the 168s, according to multiple sources they are getting a light internal refurbishment (New seat covers, carpets etc.) and a small external repaint, what that is I'm not sure at the moment. The 168/3s are also getting upgraded TPWS and the APT removed but thats further down the line (next few years).

Elsewhere apparently the 165s are also getting a light refurbishment so hopefully new seat covers and stuff. The 68s are staying but no Mk3 refurbishment.

mightyena

You are right it's subjective, I find it comfortable, clean and relatively quiet for a diesel. It may be a bit bland, but I'd rather that than bright & garish (SWR metro & to some extent C2C 357s)
Throwing my hat in, I find them fine interior wise (although the seats are less comfortable than other equivalent stock like 350s), apart from the standard Bombardier *star trait of all the internal panels and fittings feeling like they're about to come apart. The last one I was in was horrifically noisy due to all the panels rattling and buzzing whenever the engine was above idle

dgl

Established Member
Will the GWML be subject to the same ATP removal?
I believe the GWML will be getting ETCS at some point but ATP is still required for 125mph operation on most of the GWML so has to stay for the moment.

Vanmanyo

Throwing my hat in, I find them fine interior wise (although the seats are less comfortable than other equivalent stock like 350s), apart from the standard Bombardier *star trait of all the internal panels and fittings feeling like they're about to come apart. The last one I was in was horrifically noisy due to all the panels rattling and buzzing whenever the engine was above idle
350s have way worse seat than the 168s, especially the 350/3s.
Neither of these pics are mine btw. 1653214740095.png
1653214714015.png

AJDesiro

To be honest, seat comfort is a rather subjective thing. While I agree that 350/2s (I assume that's what @Vanmanyo meant, not 350/3s) could do with wider, better-padded seats, standard desiro seats are generally more suited towards different body types, due to the smaller wings.

168's certainly need corrosion attention around the windows unless it's just bubling paint. Front air dams/fairings need attention as many look rather second hand tbh. They are a realy nice interior and not at all drab.

Vanmanyo

168's certainly need corrosion attention around the windows unless it's just bubling paint. Front air dams/fairings need attention as many look rather second hand tbh. They are a realy nice interior and not at all drab.
They are defo getting a full clean so hopefully they sort this out too

MarkyT

Established Member
I believe the GWML will be getting ETCS at some point but ATP is still required for 125mph operation on most of the GWML so has to stay for the moment.
Don't forget GWML and Chiltern pilot ATP schemes were two different incompatible systems, both now unsupported by their respective manufacturers I believe.

dgl

Established Member
Don't forget GWML and Chiltern pilot ATP schemes were two different incompatible systems, both now unsupported by their respective manufacturers I believe.
Yes, best to test multiple options if the original intention was to put ATP on all/most lines, naturally after accidents on the GWML it became mandated that ATP had to be operational for 125Mph operation and the original HEX units wern't fitted with AWS/TPWS just GW ATP, as the added safety was needed in the tunnels and there was no room/need to fit AWS/TPWS.

Vanmanyo

The 68s will still be leaving after the Commonwealth Games I believe.
That is where you are wrong, the 68s got new nameplates recently and I spoke to the families of the nameplates names and they said they are staying until 2024

would explain why the 168/3s are getting atp removed

skyhigh

Established Member
That is where you are wrong, the 68s got new nameplates recently and I spoke to the families of the nameplates names and they said they are staying until 2024
I wouldn't be so sure on that.

Suraggu

The DfT have not confirmed if the Mk.3s have a stay of execution yet. The date of withdrawal still stands as August '22 at present.

Even if granted it will only be for a small period of time until class 175's are available.

Vanmanyo

I wouldn't be so sure on that.

The DfT have not confirmed if the Mk.3s have a stay of execution yet. The date of withdrawal still stands as August '22 at present.

Even if granted it will only be for a small period of time until class 175's are available.

I also spoke to staff members and they said they are staying for 2 more years. Also I doubt they will get 175s

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I also spoke to staff members and they said they are staying for 2 more years.
The staff members don't make the decisions about what rolling stock they work on. Moreover, a final decision may not have been made or communicated to those staff (or the general public).

dooton

I also spoke to staff members and they said they are staying for 2 more years. Also I doubt they will get 175s
We are still awaiting confirmation from the DFT. The hope is to keep them and ideally until 2024 to allow time to source a replacement that meets our fleet strategy. But that is not confirmed.

I believe however, a decision is due quite soon.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Agreed. the 168s are to me have the best interiors of any train operating between London and Birmingham

I find the headrest "wings" too low, but that some of the earlier units that have a different design of seat in the end section with a higher, "unwinged" headrest are very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.