• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

chiltern line route clearance and GWR diverts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgwwfc

given that the chiltern line is used by hst's on gwr diverts will this be able to continue with 800s and 802s in the future?
from what I can see from googling it line clearance is based primarily on axle loading but to the eye the 800s coaches are longer so curvature is a consideration surely?
forgive my ignorance on the subject but I'm assuming that the route will still be needed and I have not noticed any testing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
given that the chiltern line is used by hst's on gwr diverts will this be able to continue with 800s and 802s in the future?
from what I can see from googling it line clearance is based primarily on axle loading but to the eye the 800s coaches are longer so curvature is a consideration surely?
forgive my ignorance on the subject but I'm assuming that the route will still be needed and I have not noticed any testing.
It may not be needed in the short or medium term. The HSTs to Marylebone (and earlier to Waterloo) were done for exceptional reasons, such as full closures in the Reading area. The Network Rail Enhancement Delivery plan lists the intended diversionary route clearance, and Marylebone isn’t included, on the other hand Waterloo is - but only via Ascot and Staines.

The 800 is designed to go where an HST can go, within reason. The wheelbase is only slightly longer and the coach ends have extra taper.

rgwwfc

It may not be needed in the short or medium term. The HSTs to Marylebone (and earlier to Waterloo) were done for exceptional reasons, such as full closures in the Reading area. The Network Rail Enhancement Delivery plan lists the intended diversionary route clearance, and Marylebone isn’t included, on the other hand Waterloo is - but only via Ascot and Staines.

The 800 is designed to go where an HST can go, within reason. The wheelbase is only slightly longer and the coach ends have extra taper.

thanks for that, my guess was that it would have to be an option that was open for them if needed.
in recent years I can remember a few occasions chiltern has been used for gwr diverts and even voyagers on wcml diverts too.

jimm

Established Member

As swt_passenger says, the Marylebone diversions were linked to the major modernisation projects in the Thames Valley in recent years for the GW electrification, resignalling, rebuild of Reading station and the construction of the flyover and new junctions west of Reading station, plus Crossrail.

With that work pretty much complete now, there are unlikely to be many occasions when closures of all lines though Reading and into Paddington are needed, so there is no obvious need to go to the trouble of clearing the Chiltern route for IETs - especially when GWR diversions required Chiltern to reduce its services, due to limits on capacity on the line and at Marylebone.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
If there are anymore closures at Paddington they are surely more likely to terminate at Ealing Broadway since there is now a new flyunder enabling trains to revers more easily.

Class 170101

Established Member
But is Ealing Broadway capable of taking Crossrail and GWR passengers by then?

I would also question whether or not the GWML would be closed everytime OLE maintenance is required on the centre lines and as such diversions into Marylebone and / or Waterloo would be needed.

Also didn't HSTs get cleared via Surbition rather than needing to run on the longer route via Ascot and Staines?

74A

I did hear that 9 and 10 car formations are too long for the platforms at Marylebone. Coupled with the fact that SWR are now also run by first group who seem more helpful in providing extra services from Reading it seems unlikely they will divert again.

Last Christmas Paddington was closed for 3 days and all long distance trains terminated at Reading.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Also didn't HSTs get cleared via Surbition rather than needing to run on the longer route via Ascot and Staines?
The latter was specifically because the entire Reading area was closed, but it wasn’t used initially and HSTs ran via Byfleet Junction for the first period of diversions. However the route from Westbury via Salisbury to Waterloo is not part of the IEP gauge clearance project, so like Marylebone is probably not expected to be needed again.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Literally, yes, there is a new flyunder. However, it won't help reversing trains. It is to make it easier getting freights out of Acton yard.
Exactly what I thought, so same general area, but near a completely different station, and for an entirely separate function. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.