• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Rail Platform lengthening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Lets be fair to the Chiltern stations with regards to waiting and catering - you are not meant to be waiting on them for long given they are commuter belt stations whose main passengers are just that. Commuters who turn up within 5 mins of their train and then gone. And on the way back theyre out of there.

And a lot of the catering on some of their stations were not very well patronised either bar about 100 cups of coffee in the morning and maybe 30-40 newspapers. And the ones where people have tried their best to offer something, say West Ruislip, struggled to stay open more than 6 months no matter how cheap the rent was.

For me and maybe others I dont particularly want to spend an age on a station waiting for a train.

Plus how could you ever not love the provision of Shelter at Denham Golf Club?

HowardGWR

Established Member
Lets be fair to the Chiltern stations with regards to waiting and catering - you are not meant to be waiting on them for long given they are commuter belt stations whose main passengers are just that. Commuters who turn up within 5 mins of their train and then gone. And on the way back theyre out of there.

And a lot of the catering on some of their stations were not very well patronised either bar about 100 cups of coffee in the morning and maybe 30-40 newspapers. And the ones where people have tried their best to offer something, say West Ruislip, struggled to stay open more than 6 months no matter how cheap the rent was.

For me and maybe others I dont particularly want to spend an age on a station waiting for a train.

Is not the level of staffing more important? Looking at Beaconsfield the following is quoted on NRE page:
Monday - Friday 06:05 - 20:00
Saturday 06:40 - 18:10
Sunday 08:05 - 17:35

That is for 'information services', so I assume a member of staff is present. I don't know if that means there are no staff after 2000 and worse at weekends, but if it did, then a woman or other vulnerable person using the station would not have great confidence. Anyone know if the above just refers to booking facilities?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Says here that Chiltern/Network Rail are planning to extend platforms at Beaconsfield, High Wycombe, Princes Risborough, Haddenham and Thame Parkway and Bicester North stations.

I think the Chiltern Service is excellent generally however I think the stations are often lacklustre with poor waiting facilities and catering outlets.

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...ty-for-Chiltern-Railways-passengers-2082.aspx

That's been on the cards since it came up in the CP5 draft plans back in January 2013 - and it is a separate project to the Bicester - Oxford line as well. I mentioned it as being one of the reasons for Chiltern needing more rolling stock in the discussion about the planned transfer of TPE 170s here:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1735638&postcount=184

What is interesting about this NR press release is that they confirm the first phase target date is July 2014 to allow for longer Chiltern trains during an upcoming WCML blockade. The project as described in the CP5 plans is also about 9 car DOO operation, so it doesn't necessarily imply operation by longer loco hauled stock.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Is not the level of staffing more important? Looking at Beaconsfield the following is quoted on NRE page:
Monday - Friday 06:05 - 20:00
Saturday 06:40 - 18:10
Sunday 08:05 - 17:35

That is for 'information services', so I assume a member of staff is present. I don't know if that means there are no staff after 2000 and worse at weekends, but if it did, then a woman or other vulnerable person using the station would not have great confidence. Anyone know if the above just refers to booking facilities?

Thats just for the booking office.

Yes, we must always think of the women and the vulnerable person who travels late at night for some reason.

Worth noting that nothing was made in the OP about staffing levels which is why I never mentioned them.

tompatt

Fair points, made well. I guess I've never used the service as a commuter, although the service and rolling stock have always though excellent. I always think seating is never up to scratch outside the main transport hubs, some people really appreciate a good seat.

NSEFAN

Established Member
I wonder how they intend to extend platform 2 at High Wycombe? 1 and 3 are easier but 2 is blocked by Amersham Hill on one end and the subway on the other.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wonder how they intend to extend platform 2 at High Wycombe? 1 and 3 are easier but 2 is blocked by Amersham Hill on one end and the subway on the other.

The CP5 plans include this relevant sentence:

In-filling of the existing subway at High Wycombe station is possible and an alternative structure between the platforms is proposed.

Does that make any sense - I'm not familiar with the station...

Clip

Established Member
The CP5 plans include this relevant sentence:

Does that make any sense - I'm not familiar with the station...

Yes. HWY is a staggered station a bit like say sydenham and instead of a footbridge there is a subway connecting them both. Im guessing the will fill that in then build a bridge or build the bridge and then fill in the subway before works start

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wonder then if they could kill two birds with one stone and do the work as an 'Access for All' project?

Clip

Established Member
I wonder then if they could kill two birds with one stone and do the work as an 'Access for All' project?

That's the problem with filling in the subway as currently it is access for all as it is sloped. A bridge takes that away and then lifts will add masses of money to the project!

NSEFAN

Established Member
Is the slope actually compliant with access for all? As in, is the gradient not too steep?

An alternative scheme might be to extend the platforms out into the space formerly occupied by the passing loops. Not sure if that'd be much cheaper, though!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is the slope actually compliant with access for all? As in, is the gradient not too steep?

An alternative scheme might be to extend the platforms out into the space formerly occupied by the passing loops. Not sure if that'd be much cheaper, though!

That's basically what they did with the up platform only at Bicester North isn't it? Would doing just the down platform here solve the problem and also allow any down non-stop trains to be speeded up a bit?

Old Hill Bank

i can still not for the life of me work out how they will fit longer trains into the depot at Stourbridge or the sidings at Moor Street.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
It's all going to be DMU work by the sounds of things. Seems to me like the plan is to run some 9 car 168s to/from Oxford in the peaks. If that's the case then stabling overnight in the West Midlands won't be an issue.

Old Hill Bank

It's all going to be DMU work by the sounds of things. Seems to me like the plan is to run some 9 car 168s to/from Oxford in the peaks. If that's the case then stabling overnight in the West Midlands won't be an issue.

Here is the press release from Chiltern which is clear about longer trains to Birmingham, as three of the Silver sets are serviced and stabled at Stourbridge along with two 4-car 168s it dont work unless there is something about the plans we are not being told.

Platform lengthening to help deliver extra capacity for Chiltern Railways passengers
Date:08 May 2014 09:28
Work has started to extend platforms at five stations between London Marylebone and Birmingham Moor Street to provide the option for longer trains and extra seats on the Chiltern main line.
Working with Chiltern Railways, Network Rail will extend platforms at Beaconsfield, High Wycombe, Princes Risborough, Haddenham and Thame Parkway and Bicester North stations.
Longer platforms will allow nine-carriage trains to stop at the stations from summer 2015 following the opening of the Oxford to London Marylebone rail link. The new route, additional trains and longer platforms will provide more seats for passengers on the increasingly busy route, particularly south of Banbury.
The first phases of the work will be completed by the end of July 2014 and will allow Chiltern Railways to run longer trains between Birmingham Moor Street and London Marylebone during Network Rail’s West Coast main line upgrade work being carried out in August.
Lengthening platforms is part of Network Rail and Chiltern Railways’ commitment to provide capacity for an extra 1,000 passengers into London every day during the morning peak by April 2019. The increased capacity will be introduced in phases with the first longer trains regularly calling at the stations from summer 2015.
Liam Sumpter, area director for Network Rail, said: “Extending platform lengths at these five stations is the first stage of our work with Chiltern Railways to boost capacity between London Marylebone and Birmingham Moor Street.
“As the number of passengers travelling by train on this route continues to rise, it’s important that we work together and invest in the network to meet the increasing demand. Longer platforms will allow longer trains to call at the stations, providing passengers with more space and more seats.
“The nature of the work means there will be some disruption while it is carried out but we continue to work closely with Chiltern Railways to minimise this as much as possible.”
Rob Brighouse, managing director for Chiltern Railways, said “Chiltern Railways is one of the fastest growing train companies in the UK with more people choosing to travel with us between Birmingham and London than ever before. Our passenger focused investment strategy is at the heart of our business and the lengthening of platforms allows us to deliver long term, increased capacity where required.
“Passengers should expect to see longer trains from summer 2015 following the launch of our new line between Oxford and London Marylebone when we will introduce additional trains to the fleet. We have also made temporary arrangements to run lengthened trains during the closure of the West Coast main line in August 2014 to allow passengers to travel between Birmingham and London.”
Work to lengthen the platforms will take place until Thursday 31 July either overnight or during weekend possessions which will mean amended services for passengers at certain times. Information is available at www.nationalrailenquiries.co.uk or www.chilternrailways.co.uk.

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/n...r-extra-capacity-chiltern-railways-passengers

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

The Bicester -Oxford section won't be 9 car capable will it - particularly Oxford station bays. Just like the CP5 Enhancement plan, the Chiltern press release seems to suggest it will be trains from Banbury that will be lengthened.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
9 "coaches" = Loco + 7 Mk3s + DVT...Just a thought!
The CP5 wording is:

"The operation of 9 car train formations south of Banbury will require Driver Only Operation (DOO) equipment to be enhanced at the five stations to accommodate longer trains in a safe manner. Sidings at both Wembley Stadium and West Ruislip will also be enhanced. "

That strongly suggests DMUs to me...

Old Hill Bank

9 "coaches" = Loco + 7 Mk3s + DVT...Just a thought!

There is the problem. Stourbridge LMD has four sidings each of 8-car length and already caters for Loc+6 Mk3+DVT times three and two 4-car 168s each night for fueling and tanking. The two sidings at Moor Street are the same length. It dont work for longer trains that start in the West Midlands!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.