• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - Apprentice Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/23)

ratbag

Good evening all,

Long time lurker, first time poster…

When I saw the Chiltern apprentice roles advertised back in January I decided to take the plunge and apply to both Banbury and Aylesbury (both are within 45 minutes of me, but Banbury is much closer). After a little under three months, I am very pleased to say that I have been offered the role of apprentice / trainee train driver, starting at the end of August (pending medical, background checks etc.)

Below is my application timeline, for reference:
  • Submitted applications 28/01/23 (Aylesbury & Banbury)
  • First sift questionnaire received 10/02/23 (Aylesbury & Banbury). Completed a couple of days later.
  • Rejection from Aylesbury 15/02/23
  • Second sift questionnaire 16/02/23. Completed a couple of days later.
  • VSE 08/03/23. Completed 13/03/23.
  • Phone call from recruitment (XC, Birmingham) 17/03/23 to inform of passing VSE and arrange assessment day at OPC (Watford).
  • OPC assessment day 04/04/23.
  • Phone call from recruitment 05/04/23 to inform of passing OPC assessment day and arrange DMI (Banbury).
  • DMI 14/04/23.
  • Phone call from Lead DM to inform of passing DMI and to offer start date 18/04/23.
A few notes.
  • I applied to both Banbury and Aylesbury as both are within 45 minutes commute for me. I sent the same application (CV, covering letter) to both depots and completed both first sift questionnaires the same, save for the additional question which popped-up for Aylesbury when selecting that it wasn’t my closest depot; I simply said that I wanted to apply to both, as both are reasonably close and I wanted to maximise my chances. Shortly after, as you can see from the timeline above, I was rejected from Aylesbury but progressed to the second sift at Banbury. I assume that either a) Aylesbury talked to Banbury and decided to progress with only the application for the closest depot, or b) Aylesbury being larger had more and higher quality applicants so I was eliminated.
  • As an external applicant from a very different but equally safety-critical industry, the information on this forum has been invaluable at helping me prepare for both the OPC assessment day and the DMI. I am truly grateful to every contributor’s post I have read when researching assessment centres, MMI, DMI etc.
  • I used the RSSB documentation emailed by recruitment to assist with the first half of the OPC assessment centre, but didn’t think it necessary to purchase additional practise material; the paper and computer phases are certainly difficult, but I am not at all convinced, once you have an idea what you are expected to do (gained from the forum and RSSB book), that you can successfully practise for these – you can either do it, or you can’t, and that’s the idea really – no point forcing something which won’t come naturally as I think you might well struggle in the training later on. I put many more hours into structuring and practising several good, relevant, real-life examples foreach of the MMI questions. This was equally good preparation for the DMI.
  • Banbury is likely progressing faster than the other depots as they have new roles to fulfil relating to EWR, so I wouldn’t worry about not hearing back from the other depots yet. I understand and appreciate that my journey has been quicker than the norm. I shall not divulge the exact number of driver roles being recruited for at Banbury here as it is not my place to do so, but they are recruiting for a surprisingly large number over the next two years. Accordingly, they have several training course dates in place already, before the advertised September course.
Thanks again to everyone’s help so far. I really can’t wait to complete my medical, background checks, hand in my notice and start training in August!

Just a quick question, did you have to sit the DFFT (Driver Fault Finding Test) with Chiltern?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fatbob22

Hello there, yes I believe we did, it was a series of dials and you had to put them in priority order.

mr_roggger

I think that is what was referred to as Trainability for Rules and Procedures Part 2 (TRP2) ("Cables and Dials"). This has 40-something questions. I think DFFT is a slightly different test with fewer, but harder questions (from a quick search on here).
Assuming all of the above is correct, we sat TRP2, not DFFT at the OPC.

This reminds me, I and some of the other candidates were quite surprised when the assessors/examiners at the OPC announced that Chiltern conduct psychometric tests at an enhanced level. We sat nothing beyond those in the standard RSSB Train Driver Assessment (2016-17) document (excluding the written communication test), but of course we do not know what the pass marks required were. I've just had a search through this topic and found this useful piece of information:
National standard plus the VSE. (which you might class as enhanced, but does not mean a required higher pass mark or any further additional tests above the national standard, if you see what I mean).
which explains the situation fully.

Last edited:

Cuppatea

Hi! Does everyone have to sit the VSE test? I’ve previously failed stage 1 a few years back (within the 5 years) so was wondering if I’d need to sit the VSE as I’ve never had to do this?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hi! Does everyone have to sit the VSE test? I’ve previously failed stage 1 a few years back (within the 5 years) so was wondering if I’d need to sit the VSE as I’ve never had to do this?

The VSE forms part of the Chiltern Railways recruitment process and is currently done online prior to attending OPC in person. If you fail the VSE then that will count as a life lost for Chiltern and you would have to wait 6 months before trying again.

Railway2023

Hi all,

After applying to Chiltern and completing the online VSE at some.point (cannot recall when exactly but it was at some time before the 20th of March), I haven't heard anything, either way.

DB site still shows application in process.

Given the time lapse, I'd be keen to learn people's thoughts.

Fatbob22

Hi all,

After applying to Chiltern and completing the online VSE at some.point (cannot recall when exactly but it was at some time before the 20th of March), I haven't heard anything, either way.

DB site still shows application in process.

Given the time lapse, I'd be keen to learn people's thoughts.
Hi, I really hope you’re still in the process, however if I’m honest it does look slim, I got a phone call 4 days after doing the VSE inviting me to OPC for assessments. My online portal has only just changed to “Assessment” from “application in progress” now that I’ve finished the process so there is a delay there too. They are prioritising Banbury because of needing more drivers so fingers crossed you’re still in.

Railway2023

Hi, I really hope you’re still in the process, however if I’m honest it does look slim, I got a phone call 4 days after doing the VSE inviting me to OPC for assessments. My online portal has only just changed to “Assessment” from “application in progress” now that I’ve finished the process so there is a delay there too. They are prioritising Banbury because of needing more drivers so fingers crossed you’re still in.
Hi,

It's Banbury I have applied to.
I did opt for the later of the two intakes; but even with it still showing as in process, I am not so sure that it is.
At this point I am really keen to see the status change, either positively or negatively.

Unic0rn

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I would like to congratulate those who were successful in the Chiltern Aylesbury and Banbury recruitment vacancies, and wish those who are still in the process the best of luck.

Having previously browsed the net and seen the advertisement for Banbury, I applied for the position. Unfortunately, I live in Aylesbury, and hour’s drive from Banbury, which is most likely why I wasn’t able to progress pass the initial online questionnaire. I regret not seeing the Aylesbury advertisement a few days earlier, as the station is less than 20 minute walk from my house and 5 minute bike ride.

I have 2 questions I hope someone could shed light on. First, how do you manage to keep on top of Chiltern recruitment announcements for Trainee Train Driver positions? As of now, I have been refreshing the DB website looking out for vacancies, but I missed the Aylesbury announcement, so there must be a better way that I can be alerted about vacancies. Could anyone advise?

My second question is one of curiosity. Do trainee train driver positions emerge as current drivers retire, advance into management or other TOC jobs, or worse, leave the job because they become jaded and cynical? Many people want to become train drivers, but do some make it through the training and then disillusionment sets in when faced with the realities of the complex and demanding responsibilities? I imagine only an insider could answer this question, but I would find it interesting to know the estimated percentages of all the reasons for trainee train driver vacancies with Chiltern.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I have 2 questions I hope someone could shed light on. First, how do you manage to keep on top of Chiltern recruitment announcements for Trainee Train Driver positions? As of now, I have been refreshing the DB website looking out for vacancies, but I missed the Aylesbury announcement, so there must be a better way that I can be alerted about vacancies. Could anyone advise?

I'm not sure how you would expect to be informed personally about driver vacancies? All I can suggest is to do what you are doing, keep checking the DB website and get your application in ASAP when a suitable vacancy is advertised.

TD2018

Moor Street applicant here. At this point I'm not holding much hope with hearing anything back after completing the situational judgment tests all those weeks ago. But my status will always say "application in process". Would love to be proved wrong

12LDA28C

Established Member
My second question is one of curiosity. Do trainee train driver positions emerge as current drivers retire, advance into management or other TOC jobs, or worse, leave the job because they become jaded and cynical? Many people want to become train drivers, but do some make it through the training and then disillusionment sets in when faced with the realities of the complex and demanding responsibilities? I imagine only an insider could answer this question, but I would find it interesting to know the estimated percentages of all the reasons for trainee train driver vacancies with Chiltern.

Driver vacancies arise for a number of reasons at any given location. Some drivers retire, others transfer to another depot within that TOC, others move away to another TOC. Occasionally a requirement for additional drivers becomes evident, such as Chiltern being awarded the EWR contract with the requirement for additional drivers due to an increase in establishment at Banbury depot to accommodate the new work.

Don't forget also that qualified drivers are also taken on, indeed Chiltern are recruiting right now for qualified drivers at various depots. In answer to your final question, it's extremely rare for a driver to leave the industry completely, once you're in it's pretty much a job for life I would say, unless you screw it up so majorly that you get sacked, or asked to resign.

mr_roggger

First, how do you manage to keep on top of Chiltern recruitment announcements for Trainee Train Driver positions? As of now, I have been refreshing the DB website looking out for vacancies, but I missed the Aylesbury announcement, so there must be a better way that I can be alerted about vacancies. Could anyone advise?

I saw the Banbury role advertised on LinkedIn, where I have an alert set for "Trainee Train Driver", "Apprentice Train Driver" and "Train Driver" within 30 miles from my home postcode. The DB careers website has a "Set up a job alert" link on the left of the search page which you can probably set-up like I have for LinkedIn.

TFL_Rocks

Hi,

I’ve still not heard back after completing the 2nd questionnaire for the marlybone depo @ alysbury. Is there a contact in which I can find out any updates on my application?

Many thanks

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hi,

I’ve still not heard back after completing the 2nd questionnaire for the marlybone depo @ alysbury. Is there a contact in which I can find out any updates on my application?

Many thanks

I assume you mean you've applied for Marylebone and Aylesbury?

As far as I understand it all Aylesbury applicants should by now have received either a rejection email or an invitation to take the online VSE test if they have got past the initial two stages of sifting. Can't speak for Marylebone applicants currently.

michbridie

As far as I understand it all Aylesbury applicants should by now have received either a rejection email or an invitation to take the online VSE test if they have got past the initial two stages of sifting. Can't speak for Marylebone applicants currently.
I don’t seem to have received a rejection email, or an invitation to the next stage - applied for Aylesbury. Keeping a close eye on my emails and logging onto my online account regularly!!

Last edited:

TheRedRattler

Do you have some inside information then? I'm in the same position as @michbridie. No rejection email, no invitation to proceed further, DB portal still says it's an active application. Notwithstanding this, I don't have my hopes up. With the amount of time that's elapsed since I applied (January '23), it doesn't seem like it's a goer.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Do you have some inside information then? I'm in the same position as @michbridie. No rejection email, no invitation to proceed further, DB portal still says it's an active application. Notwithstanding this, I don't have my hopes up. With the amount of time that's elapsed since I applied (January '23), it doesn't seem like it's a goer.

The only advice I can offer is that the people currently involved with driver recruitment at Chiltern are very busy indeed with other tasks and recruitment takes priority as and when time allows, hence the slow progress of some candidates' applications. Even candidates who have previously passed all OPC assessments have only just been invited for interview.

TheRedRattler

The only advice I can offer is that the people currently involved with driver recruitment at Chiltern are very busy indeed with other tasks and recruitment takes priority as and when time allows, hence the slow progress of some candidates' applications. Even candidates who have previously passed all OPC assessments have only just been invited for interview.
Thank you, I understand :)

potoci1

Hi there. New poster here. Applied in January for Banbury depot. Slow progress, no emails for 2 months. 2 days ago I got an invitation to do the VSE online test
Must be done until the 17th of May. As I have no information at all can someone enlight me on what stage am I. And if someone reached the top could tell me what steps are ahead. I do not ask for any inside info but I would tresure any advice what would make my journey easier. I would take the opportunity to congratulate the successful candidates and wish luck to those still fighting. Thank you.

TLF11

Hi there. New poster here. Applied in January for Banbury depot. Slow progress, no emails for 2 months. 2 days ago I got an invitation to do the VSE online test
Must be done until the 17th of May. As I have no information at all can someone enlight me on what stage am I. And if someone reached the top could tell me what steps are ahead. I do not ask for any inside info but I would tresure any advice what would make my journey easier. I would take the opportunity to congratulate the successful candidates and wish luck to those still fighting. Thank you.

It looks like you have passed sifting and now onto assessments so well done! For me it went VSE, DMI and then OPC all pretty quick. I had done previous OPC assessments but failed 1 so had to retake the 1 I failed and then MMI. Not sure if you will follow the same process but hopefully this will help. For the VSE I purchased a program to help me prepare for it. (Can't remember where top of my head but Google search will find it easily) best of luck!

12LDA28C

Established Member

If you have been invited to take the online VSE test, if successful the next stage would be taking the OPC tests in person, and if you passed them you would be invited for interview. Well done for getting this far.

mr_roggger

Congratulations, you must be delighted at being invited to sit the VSE!
I refer you to my post #511. This gives a timeline of my application via the Banbury depot.
The only advice I can offer is to research the VSE on here and Google. You will note that the VSE is provided by the OPC. Whilst the OPC do not have any VSE examples available online themselves, pay attention to the competencies assessed as described on This page.

Last edited:

potoci1

If you have been invited to take the online VSE test, if successful the next stage would be taking the OPC tests in person, and if you passed them you would be invited for interview. Well done for getting this far.
Thank you.

Congratulations, you must be delighted at being invited to sit the VSE!
I refer you to my post #511. This gives a timeline of my application via the Banbury depot.
The only advice I can offer is to research the VSE on here and Google. You will note that the VSE is provided by the OPC. Whilst the OPC do not have any VSE examples available online themselves, pay attention to the competencies assessed as described on This page.
Thanks for your reply.

It looks like you have passed sifting and now onto assessments so well done! For me it went VSE, DMI and then OPC all pretty quick. I had done previous OPC assessments but failed 1 so had to retake the 1 I failed and then MMI. Not sure if you will follow the same process but hopefully this will help. For the VSE I purchased a program to help me prepare for it. (Can't remember where top of my head but Google search will find it easily) best of luck!
Thanks for your reply. What MMI stands for?

Good morning. Thank you for your reply. I am taking the liberty to ask a few more questions. If any question could be classed as sensitive please decline to answer.
1. In the invitation letter there is a user name and a password. Can I log in into that account as many times as I wish or should I log in only on the day when I want to do the test?
2. If there is a practice option there,can I use that several times or it is restricted in any way.
3. If I am using the practice option do I have to do the live test straight after or it will be at my own leisure?
To be honest the first question is the most important as if I can log in I will find the answer for the next two. Thank you.

Last edited:

IAmGROOT

Thank you.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your reply. What MMI stands for?

Good morning. Thank you for your reply. I am taking the liberty to ask a few more questions. If any question could be classed as sensitive please decline to answer.
1. In the invitation letter there is a user name and a password. Can I log in into that account as many times as I wish or should I log in only on the day when I want to do the test?
2. If there is a practice option there,can I use that several times or it is restricted in any way.
3. If I am using the practice option do I have to do the live test straight after or it will be at my own leisure?
To be honest the first question is the most important as if I can log in I will find the answer for the next two. Thank you.
Don't log in until you are ready as it's a one time thing you log in and start the assessment.