• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - Apprentice Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/23)

12LDA28C

Established Member

One thing I realised after filling it out, I’m sure it’s no biggie, it asked what my closest national rail station was, I put my local
One down and realised afterwards it meant a station that goes all over the country, it’s only a 5 minute walk from my depot station to the national one anyway and I can commute within 20 minutes to my depot.

Your closest 'National Rail' station means your nearest station that is on the National Rail network, ie not the Underground, DLR or other subway or light rail system. Not one where you can catch a direct train to anywhere in the country.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brum_AVFC

Your closest 'National Rail' station means your nearest station that is on the National Rail network, ie not the Underground, DLR or other subway or light rail system. Not one where you can catch a direct train to anywhere in the country.
Ahh so I was correct putting my local one then as it is on the national rail

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I visited OPC twice for two sets of tests. The first was the initial SJE, Group Bourdon, etc and the second were the visual exercises, Grey Box, etc with the MMI as the final stage. I passed them all but at the time couldn't sit the DMI but if you're in a situation like me you'll be able to carry those pass marks forward to this application assuming they meet the criteria and are within the time frame.
Indeed, timeframe varies between companies, but up to 5 years from testing.

Speedbird100

Anyone here having a second crack at the OPC assessments? I did them way back in December 2020 with West Mids (Abellio) and only failed the 2 hand co-ordination test, waited 2 years for another opportunity to apply! Just wondering wether we get fast tracked to the assessment’s again or have to sit the company’s VSE’s first?
I also failed the two hand co-ordination test for GWR in 2019 but no idea if it counts on a new application.

I also failed the two hand co-ordination test for GWR in 2019 but no idea if it counts on a new application.
As long as it's outside of 6 months then you should be allowed to take them again. Some companies take a stricter position on any failed tests and may take you out of the initial sift - This is simply because it helps them reduce the number of applicants. But the general rule is that as long as it's outside of 6 months since you failed, and have only taken it once before, then you should be able to retake the tests that you failed.

Also, keep in mind that some companies may want different tests to be taken which you may not have done before. Good luck!

As long as it's outside of 6 months then you should be allowed to take them again. Some companies take a stricter position on any failed tests and may take you out of the initial sift - This is simply because it helps them reduce the number of applicants. But the general rule is that as long as it's outside of 6 months since you failed, and have only taken it once before, then you should be able to retake the tests that you failed.

Also, keep in mind that some companies may want different tests to be taken which you may not have done before. Good luck!
Correction *and have only failed it once before, then you should....

Correction *and have only failed it once before, then you should....
I was informed you get two lives per TOC. West Midlands I took my tests at enhanced level and passed all apart from the MMI. A bit of a strange one because I passed my MMI questions they failed me on something else. They did also advise some TOCs will allow more than 2 attempts it just depends on what they’re looking for.

golfsareus

I was informed you get two lives per TOC. West Midlands I took my tests at enhanced level and passed all apart from the MMI. A bit of a strange one because I passed my MMI questions they failed me on something else. They did also advise some TOCs will allow more than 2 attempts it just depends on what they’re looking for.
You only get 2 life’s total on all OPC tests including the MMI, so if you failed the MMI you have lost one life so your not able to fail again sadly however you can fail the managers interview an unlimited amount of times.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Did you find out what you failed on? The TOCs don't decide on the 2-attempt rule, that's the OPC rule which they cannot ignore

Very different to my experience. The general rule is two fails (not attempts) in total. You can take the test as many times as you like but you can only fail it twice. One reason for taking it again would be because, for e.g., you passed to a national level but the TOC/FOC require enhanced. You also, depending on the TOC, wouldn't have to wait six months.

I would also argue that TOC's / FOC's do not need to allow candidates a third attempt at any of the OPC tests because of the sheer number of applicants that apply. To me it simply wouldn't make much sense to do so and there wouldn't be any need. They have too many applicants to choose from so why take the risk with someone who isn't able to pass the first or second time? It's not a measure of intelligence, it's to do with suitability for the role.

Very different to my experience. The general rule is two fails (not attempts) in total. You can take the test as many times as you like but you can only fail it twice. One reason for taking it again would be because, for e.g., you passed to a national level but the TOC/FOC require enhanced. You also, depending on the TOC, wouldn't have to wait six months.

I would also argue that TOC's / FOC's do not need to allow candidates a third attempt at any of the OPC tests because of the sheer number of applicants that apply. To me it simply wouldn't make much sense to do so and there wouldn't be any need. They have too many applicants to choose from so why take the risk with someone who isn't able to pass the first or second time? It's not a measure of intelligence, it's to do with suitability for the role.
FYI - From OPC: With the driver assessment process being a national process, all registered assessment centres will undertake checks on everyone that applies to ensure that these tests are only undertaken once within a 6 month period and that an individual hasn't failed the process more than once previously. Unfortunately you can only be unsuccessful twice through this process and you then cannot apply again for the role of train driver within the UK.

12LDA28C

Established Member
You also, depending on the TOC, wouldn't have to wait six months.

FYI - From OPC: With the driver assessment process being a national process, all registered assessment centres will undertake checks on everyone that applies to ensure that these tests are only undertaken once within a 6 month period and that an individual hasn't failed the process more than once previously. Unfortunately you can only be unsuccessful twice through this process and you then cannot apply again for the role of train driver within the UK.

This appears to be contradictory. You're saying you wouldn't have to wait six months before retaking the test, then highlighting the OPC rule that says you would.

This appears to be contradictory. You're saying you wouldn't have to wait six months before retaking the test, then highlighting the OPC rule that says you would.
The wording isn't great. But the general rule is no more than two fails. If you fail once, you have to wait 6 months before you can retake. You can retake in 6 months, depending on the TOC's application rules, if you passed to a national standard but they require enhanced. That wouldn't be classed as a fail. I wouldn't get too hung up on this. Apply to the TOC and you'll find out soon enough what they want or expect. Or email them and ask. But I would expect the responses to be in line with what myself and other members are saying. Good luck!

12LDA28C

Established Member
The wording isn't great. But the general rule is no more than two fails. If you fail once, you have to wait 6 months before you can retake. You can retake in 6 months, depending on the TOC's application rules, if you passed to a national standard but they require enhanced. That wouldn't be classed as a fail. I wouldn't get too hung up on this. Apply to the TOC and you'll find out soon enough what they want or expect. Or email them and ask. But I would expect the responses to be in line with what myself and other members are saying. Good luck!

I'm sure that you definitely cannot retake the test within six months of failing, as per the OPC rule regardless of TOC.

I'm sure that you definitely cannot retake the test within six months of failing, as per the OPC rule regardless of TOC.
That is correct. The only instance you would retake a test within the 6 months is if you DID NOT fail but had to retake to reach an enhanced standard after passing at a national level - Again, only if the TOC/FOC allowed it.

Did you find out what you failed on? The TOCs don't decide on the 2-attempt rule, that's the OPC rule which they cannot ignore
Yeah communication apparently. Even though my job requires accuracy, brevity and clarity when sharing information. I’ll be well equipped next time for sure!

You only get 2 life’s total on all OPC tests including the MMI, so if you failed the MMI you have lost one life so your not able to fail again sadly however you can fail the managers interview an unlimited amount of times.
Fingers crossed I pass the MMI if I get to resit it again within the 5 year time frame!

That is correct. The only instance you would retake a test within the 6 months is if you DID NOT fail but had to retake to reach an enhanced standard after passing at a national level - Again, only if the TOC/FOC allowed it.
All of my paper tests and computer tests were passed at enhanced level. Only the MMI left. From what I have read quite a few candidates fail their first MMI test and do much better the second attempt!

Last edited:
Yeah communication apparently. Even though my job requires accuracy, brevity and clarity when sharing information. I’ll be well equipped next time for sure!

Fingers crossed I pass the MMI if I get to resit it again within the 5 year time frame!

All of my paper tests and computer tests were passed at enhanced level. Only the MMI left. From what I have read quite a few candidates fail their first MMI test and do much better the second attempt!
The MMI can be quite a tough experience the first time around. I’m pretty much in the same boat. I did pass my MMI but all the slots for the TOC had been taken by the time I got to the DMI so my app stalled at that point. We keep trying though. :)

Is anyone aware whether Chiltern require enhanced or national level passes for the psychometric tests?

Last edited:
The MMI can be quite a tough experience the first time around. I’m pretty much in the same boat. I did pass my MMI but all the slots for the TOC had been taken by the time I got to the DMI so my app stalled at that point. We keep trying though. :)

Is anyone aware whether Chiltern require enhanced or national level passes for the psychometric tests?
Yeah the MMI was the most intense interview I’ve had. I know what I need to do to perform better! That’s harsh about your app stalling. I hope all goes well.

Amal

Enhanced

Attachments

• ADVICE_Train_Driver_Standards.pdf
    193.4 KB · Views: 89
Yeah the MMI was the most intense interview I’ve had. I know what I need to do to perform better! That’s harsh about your app stalling. I hope all goes well.
Thank you Scrambled Eggs.

Thank you Amal.

I believe it's National level.
Thank you 12LDA28C. I've had both Enhanced and National as a response. :) I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough when they contact me. I think I have some enhanced but not all, and as someone mentioned earlier, enhanced for one TOC mightn't be enhanced for another TOC. Appreciate the help though.

PK96

They resent an email admitting there’s an error and to re do the test with the third field a* corrected to “National Insurance Number”

Nice one thanks
I didn't receive this email. However, on my questioner it stated NI number. Everything seemed pretty good. I did mine around the 18th/19th. Haven't heard back since.

I didn't receive this email. However, on my questioner it stated NI number. Everything seemed pretty good. I did mine around the 18th/19th. Haven't heard back since.
We'll all hear back after the 28th. It's unlikely to be before then. Hopefully not too long after but there is no real way to tell unfortunately. Good luck to all.

By the way, how did you get on with your Cross Country application?

Last edited:
We'll all hear back after the 28th. It's unlikely to be before then. Hopefully not too long after but there is no real way to tell unfortunately. Good luck to all.

I didn’t do a Cross Country one. I missed the deadline unfortunately. Then this came up. I’m hoping everything happens for a reason.

I had an email on 21/02 saying they had received my application and were looking forward to learning more about me. They would be in touch in the next 2 to 4 weeks.
You'll get the initial form through that they use to sift suitable applicants at the first stage. Nothing too much to worry about at this stage and pretty straight forward.

TheRedRattler

You'll get the initial form through that they use to sift suitable applicants at the first stage. Nothing too much to worry about at this stage and pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the info. I applied via DB Cargo's website and have been tracking the application through their portal - Is that the best place do it? Or do Chiltern Railways / Arriva have their own portal?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I applied via DB Cargo's website and have been tracking the application through their portal - Is that the best place do it? Or do Chiltern Railways / Arriva have their own portal?
Chiltern is DB, so the DB site is correct