Chiltern Railways train crew shortages

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by jimm, 29 Sep 2018.

1. jimm

jimm Established Member

Chiltern Journeycheck at 9.30am: 36 cancellations due to crew shortages, which I believe amounts to more than 10% of Chiltern services due to operate on a typical Saturday. Good job Spurs are playing at Huddersfield this afternoon, not at Wembley.

https://www.journeycheck.com/chilternrailways/

Not the first weekend that this has happened recently - August 4 (which was as bad as today), August 13, August 25 (the month was a repeat of events in August 2017) - but some people just don't seem to get half as excited about Chiltern letting down passengers as they do about other operators.

For the record, the number of GWR cancellations at 9.30am - for any reason - one, there will not be an 11.41 from Penzance to Plymouth due to a train fault.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Metroman62

Metroman62 Member

The Metropolitan Line is not running from Harrow on the Hill to London this weekend with Chiltern as the suggested alternative, so its rather annoying to have cancelled Chiltern services

4. didcotdean

didcotdean Member

Between 19:00-20:00 GWR will be accepting Chiltern tickets to Oxford from Paddington, as will West Midlands from Euston to Birmingham and Cross Country from Banbury to Birmingham.

5. Wilts Wanderer

Wilts Wanderer Member

That list is far worse than any Saturday I can recall with GWR. What on earth is tomorrow (Sunday) going to look like.

6. Metroman62

Metroman62 Member

As at 11:55 6 trains show as being cancelled

7. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

What is the cause of this? Have they hacked off enough staff that the stereotypical Saturday/Sunday BBQs are being organised?

Given that it's Arriva... :)

8. CarltonA

CarltonA Member

Well I hope they have got it sorted tomorrow or I will say "tut tut". (Quietly, of course).

Last edited: 7 Oct 2018
  9. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Didn't realise there where any issues else I probably would've avoided Chiltern. I was in Nottingham & it was a choice of Skegness or London Marylebone (not much difference between the two I know). The effects of the previous evening where still taking their toll & I missed the the one to the bracing East Coast resort so ended up on the 13:55 LHCS from Moor St.

10. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    There could just be a sickness bug around a depot! Drivers/guards aren't immune to the same workplace sicknesses and bugs that we all get from time to time!

11. Wilts Wanderer

Wilts Wanderer Member

Presumably it’s the kind of illness you only get at weekends :D

12. jimm

jimm Established Member

More Chiltern crew shortages today - 13 listed on Journeycheck at 8.15, with a couple of early departures from Marylebone also cancelled earlier this morning

https://www.journeycheck.com/chilternrailways/

13. jimm

jimm Established Member

Looks like some cover has been found for several evening trains, as the list has shrunk to five cancellations now

14. atraindriver

atraindriver Member

More people tend to take their days off at weekends than during the week, so that means the companies tend to rely on overtime cover more then than during the week, even if they are nominally fully staffed.

As an example, a TOC in my part of the world (not Chiltern) is struggling to crew trains at the moment because the management have issued an instruction that uncovered shifts are not to be split to allow them to be covered, which means that they're either covered in their entirety or not at all.

It sounds good in theory, but when you have a day turn open where an available staffer can cover the first half but not the second (because of their next shift) or vice versa (because of their previous shift), it seems madness to stop the traincrew rostering department from covering those parts of shifts that they can, even if in the end it means using two or three staff to cover one shift.

I suspect I know why; that company doesn't pay overtime enhancements so traditionally the rostering department would split shifts to encourage staff to work their days off (someone's more likely to agree to work a rest day doing half-a-shift paid for a full shift than coming in for a full shift getting paid the same amount, after all!), and I suspect that there are budgetary pressures. But even the cheapest one-way cancellation costs the same as paying for a driver's shift, and so I'm not sure that stopping shifts from being covered by splitting them will save money in the long run!

15. jimm

jimm Established Member

Another dozen cancellations due to crew issues listed for today

16. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

And 21 showing for Sunday at the moment, on top of Marylebone being closed until 10:30 for Engineering Work (trains are starting from Amersham or West Ruislip):

17. CarltonA

CarltonA Member

This has not affected me so far. Certain trains being cancelled can be a real pain. Once, they cancelled the 10:05 Banbury (from GX) due to a faulty unit (165s increasingly showing their age). In spite of them stopping a Moor Street silver train it delayed me by 59mins. At least I got the delay repayment.

18. muddythefish

muddythefish Established Member

Is this another example of a timetable that depends on drivers working overtime for it to work properly ?

19. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Most TOCs rely on overtime to cover Sundays. Some have agreements where drivers must work their own booked turns whereas others can opt out if before the cut off. Not sure what Chiltern are & as been one big franchise so long it's not like GA who still have drivers under three separate agreements dating from pre-2004 days.

20. jimm

jimm Established Member

Staffing situation much improved this weekend. Just two cancellations notified today, affecting a round trip between Leamington and Stratford-upon-Avon