• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern services after 1900

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitha1

Hi there,
I am planning on travelling on Chiltern services leaving Marylebone after 19:00 tomorrow towards Birmingham, was wondering how busy are these services at 19:15/19:45? Have purchased a super-off peak ticket and now wondering if I'll be standing the whole way.
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
The high peak at Marylebone is at about 18:00-18:30 and the station is extremely busy at that point, but the drop off from about 19:00 is very noticeable. At the time you wish to travel I would describe it as 'steady'.

What I will say is board the train as soon as it is posted on the departure screens and go to the far end of the train behind where the driver sits. It's ridiculous how many people pile into the coach closest to the buffer stops (I would imagine this is true at every terminal station in the world, it is certainly the case at Marylebone) and you would be amazed at the difference in how crowded the rear coaches are on trains leaving Marylebone compared to the front ones.

SS4

Established Member
Get on at the front and you'll likely get a good seat. If you feel brave I've noticed the departures app is slightly ahead of the departure boards although use at your own risk re: platform changes.

I was on the 2045 ex-MYB in April and it was quite busy although I suspect this may have been due to the 50p return offer in force then.

stu

I did the 19:15 last Friday which is obviously the first super off peak train, was busy on an 8 carriage train but not to the point of having to stand.

smitha1

Travelled on these trains yesterday, and the 19:45 was quite busy, few people standing as far as High Wycombe and Bicester, but was pretty quiet after Leamington. Surprisingly the morning train to Marylebone was quite busy the 9:55 from Moor Street. Anyway thanks for all the replies!

ChilternHenry

I did the 19:15 last Friday which is obviously the first super off peak train, was busy on an 8 carriage train but not to the point of having to stand.

I've only ever seen Chiltern do a 7, although some platforms can take 8 cars I've never seen it done, are you sure it was 8 cars?

js47604

Cheers for confirming that eagle, however, I'm still reluctant to believe it was an eight car train, I must check the set diagrams for this service

Shouldn't have been more than 7 if calling at DOO stations with no monitors under current Chiltern agreements.Stations like Haddenham and Thame Parkway etc are having mirrors replaced by monitors this year for the purpose of running 8 car trains from the December timetable.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
That's an interesting bit of info. Seems odd because mirrors have only been in situ at Haddenham for a few months!

Status
Not open for further replies.