• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Settlement Amount

player45

Hi All,

I recently received a notice of intended prosecution from Chiltern Railways, in the letter the highlighted that as I am under 18 they have decided that the offence is suitable for resolution by administrative disposal. This included fares due and an admin charge incurred in the recovery of these fares. The total number of offences was 8 with the total avoided amount at £100 if the full price is paid. However, I am on a 16-17 saver railcard but doubt that they would use this discount. I was wondering how much the final settlement amount would be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notmyrealname

Hi.

Could you post up the letter you've received please? That will help the experts to advise you.

Cover up your name, address and any reference numbers from Chiltern.

player45

Hi.

Could you post up the letter you've received please? That will help the experts to advise you.

Cover up your name, address and any reference numbers from Chiltern.

Hi,

The letter is not the part I am concerned about. Its the amount that I am interested in. I have been in correspondence with Chiltern and have admitted to 8 offences totalling £100 in avoided fairs. They have stated that they are going to resolve this by administrative disposal and I just wanted to know at the amount I am looking at to pay at the end.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Hi,

The letter is not the part I am concerned about. Its the amount that I am interested in. I have been in correspondence with Chiltern and have admitted to 8 offences totalling £100 in avoided fairs. They have stated that they are going to resolve this by administrative disposal and I just wanted to know at the amount I am looking at to pay at the end.
It's very difficult for us to give advice with limited information from you, and we can't calculate the fares you will be asked to pay without knowing the journey involved. However, if you are not prepared to tell us that you should calculate the full adult anytime single fare for each journey and then add on around £150 in admin fees. I suspect that will come to quite a bit more than £100.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi,

maybe the £100 fares evaded plus there 'admin fee' which depending on how long it took to look into what you did may be say £150-£200. This is all my guestimate

ikcdab

You are right that you can't use your Railcard discount against the recovered amount. They will write to you and tell you how much you have to pay. The starting point is usually around £150 plus the adult anytime single for each evaded fare.

Gloster

Established Member
To make clear, I hope. They normally charge the full Anytime Single fare for each and every journey you made, so for a return journey you would be charged the full Single fare for each of both the outward and the return legs. No allowance is made for any money you paid for the tickets you bought, nor do they make any reduction for any railcard you do hold. They then add an investigation fee, which normally starts at around £150, although your’s shouldn’t be much more than this. However, in view of your age, they might reduce one or more elements of their calculation and not charge you as much as someone over 18 would be charged, but this is not guaranteed.

CarrotPie

However, in view of your age, they might reduce one or more elements of their calculation and not charge you as much as someone over 18 would be charged, but this is not guaranteed.
plus the adult anytime single for each evaded fare.
Slightly OT, but how do they calculate settlements for under-16s (or do they not care about evasion)?