• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Stopping Pattern Late Evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

njr001

Discovered last night that 2257 departure from Marylebone does not stop at Rickmansworth given that many people at stations from Ricky northwood use the Chiltern more often now that London Underground only run Fast during peak hours it seems strange that there is a two hour gap between 2157 & 2357. Had to drive to Chorleywood to collect a rather grumpy partner. I did notice that it was a 168 rather than a 165 I think five carriages, are 168's significantly longer than 165's so I guess it may be a platform length issue at Ricky.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hkstudent

Established Member
Discovered last night that 2257 departure from Marylebone does not stop at Rickmansworth given that many people at stations from Ricky northwood use the Chiltern more often now that London Underground only run Fast during peak hours it seems strange that there is a two hour gap between 2157 & 2357. Had to drive to Chorleywood to collect a rather grumpy partner. I did notice that it was a 168 rather than a 165 I think five carriages, are 168's significantly longer than 165's so I guess it may be a platform length issue at Ricky.
I checked realtime trains and the service was scheduled to stop at Rickmansworth but didn't. So maybe worth claiming a delay repay on this occasion.
BTW, am curious why not change to Metropolitan Line when the train didn't call at Rickmansworth?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@hkstudent. Are you sure that the 2257 Marylebone->Aylesbury Vale Parkway Chiltern service is actually scheduled to call (rather than pass through without stopping) at Rickmansworth?

njr001

Latest timetable shows 2257 does not call at Ricky, it was therefore easier to go to Chorleywood and be collected late at night rather than go to Baker Street and take a very slow Met or take the Chiltern to Harrow and stand around in the cold particularly as Amersham and Chesham trains are currently frequently cancelled.

skyhigh

Established Member
I checked realtime trains and the service was scheduled to stop at Rickmansworth but didn't. So maybe worth claiming a delay repay on this occasion.
I can't see that RTT says that. Either way it wasn't booked to stop at Rickmansworth.

sammyg901

I'd guess that they want to send a longer train due to the (current) hours gap in the timetable at this time. There has always been one or two 168 diagram around this time on a late Aylesbury Met service, presumably to get it to the depot there

hkstudent

Established Member
Latest timetable shows 2257 does not call at Ricky, it was therefore easier to go to Chorleywood and be collected late at night rather than go to Baker Street and take a very slow Met or take the Chiltern to Harrow and stand around in the cold particularly as Amersham and Chesham trains are currently frequently cancelled.
Um. Chorleywood has 4 tph MET service between Chalfont and Moor Park.
The closest call service was 2329 MET service from Chorleywood to Rickmansworth, which connects perfectly with the 2324 arrival of CH trains.

If things are uncertain, there's a heated waiting room on the platform at Harrow on the Hill. CH train arrives at 2309, and MET trains depart at 2311 and 2315.

@hkstudent. Are you sure that the 2257 Marylebone->Aylesbury Vale Parkway Chiltern service is actually scheduled to call (rather than pass through without stopping) at Rickmansworth?
My bad, I mixed up the departure time with the 2157 one.

Triumph

2V72 2257 MYB-AYS is booked for a 4 car 168 & 2 car 165 (Diagrams AY686 & AY602) and is not booked to stop at Rickmansworth, in fact in the Met WTT it is shown with a code of BZ - Chiltern Railways train formed of 6 cars.

RPM

Established Member
168s vehicles are not significantly longer that 165s, but Rickmansworth can only take a maximum 5-car Chiltern service. This train is booked for a 6-car formation so does not stop at Rickmansworth.

jfisher21

Is that something to do with the bend in the platform rather than the length ? As a former Ricky resident it is annoying that some trains stop at Chorleywood which is a much smaller place and not Ricky!

RPM

Established Member
Is that something to do with the bend in the platform rather than the length ? As a former Ricky resident it is annoying that some trains stop at Chorleywood which is a much smaller place and not Ricky!
In this particular case is is solely down to platform length. However, a few peak services also miss out Rickmansworth, even though they are short enough to stop there. It does seem counterintuitive, I agree. My best guess it is about evening out loadings. There's a tendency for Metropolitan line pax to crowd onto the relatively short Chiltern services whilst the LU services run half empty.

njr001

Not surprising that Met passengers for Ricky and beyond prefer to crowd on to Chiltern services since there are normally no Met 'Fasts' except during the peaks. One wonders if Chiltern have received any more revenue since the demise of fast Amersham Met trains.

RPM

Established Member
Not surprising that Met passengers for Ricky and beyond prefer to crowd on to Chiltern services since there are normally no Met 'Fasts' except during the peaks. One wonders if Chiltern have received any more revenue since the demise of fast Amersham Met trains.
Absolutely. The removal of off-peak Met "fasts" exacerbated the problem. Not sure if the Chiltern revenue share was altered at that time, but I strongly suspect not. Chiltern operate over the Met very much on TfL's terms.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Absolutely. The removal of off-peak Met "fasts" exacerbated the problem. Not sure if the Chiltern revenue share was altered at that time, but I strongly suspect not. Chiltern operate over the Met very much on TfL's terms.
The agreement of revenue share is (or at least historically was) based on the station that tickets were bought at, and the destination stated. Of course most people will now use Oyster/contactless so revenue distribution is very simple.

hkstudent

Established Member
The agreement of revenue share is (or at least historically was) based on the station that tickets were bought at, and the destination stated. Of course most people will now use Oyster/contactless so revenue distribution is very simple.
Yeah, especially with CH is using different terminus as from MET Line, revenue distribution can be made through an automated system.
(OSIs are well recorded in the system)

jfisher21

I always understood that tfl got all the revenue from their stations but chiltern get to use the tracks for free .... not sure if thats still correct

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I always understood that tfl got all the revenue from their stations but chiltern get to use the tracks for free .... not sure if thats still correct
Perhaps that's how it was at one stage in BR days but it's certainly no longer the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.