• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern ticket machines and fares via Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.

A few weeks ago I had occasion to travel form Haddenham & Thame Parkway to Didcot (on a Saturday afternoon, so the ticket office was closed). I was surprised to find that the off-peak day single fare, routed Not London, was £29.50 (BRfares.com indicates that you can go via London, which must be several times the distance, for only about 33% more). Fortunately I was due to have enough time at Oxford to rebook there, so I was able to reduce the fare to £12.90*, but I wonder whether if the ticket office had been open they would have suggested this -- as I understand it, they don't have to, but it would seem that offering only a ridiculously high fare will put people off travelling. For a simple two-part split with the same ticket type, a 56% saving seems quite a lot -- does anyone know of examples of bigger savings?

*Actually I have a Network Railcard, but the percentage difference is still the same.

My guess was that the through fare is the same as it was before the curve at Bicester was opened, and is calculated on the assumption that people will go via Banbury (or at least King's Sutton), but it appears that even if you do want to go via Banbury you can do so for £18.50 by splitting. Does anyone know why the through fare is so high (something to do with clustering, maybe?), or whether Chiltern would be likely to pay any attention to suggestions to change it? I see that the £6.00 Haddenham-Oxford fare (in contrast to £28.50 for 'not via London') is routed 'Chiltern only', which wouldn't work for destinations beyond Oxford, rather than 'via Oxford Parkway', which would.

The other thing I found was that when I came to add the railcard discount on the first ticket machine that I tried, and at an earlier stage on the other one, the machine appeared at first to be unresponsive. Normally in my experience, touchscreens respond to a gentle touch with a fingertip or knuckle, or failing that firm pressure with a thumb, but the only thing that worked on this occasion was (I eventually found) to hit it sharply as if knocking on a door. I mention this in case other people find it useful. Has anyone else had the same problem? (I don't know much about ticket machine types, but I think they were what's pictured here).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
It’s worse elsewhere in Oxfordshire. From Charlbury to Princes Risborough, for example, the only fares are Any Permitted, making an SVR a ludicrous £75.60.

Nicholas43

These fares are set by GWR. Their pricing manager hasn't, apparently, been told that the Bicester curve is in use. There are reasonable fares Didcot (etc) <>Bicester Town/Village, from the time when Oxford-Bicester was operated by First Great Western.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It’s worse elsewhere in Oxfordshire. From Charlbury to Princes Risborough, for example, the only fares are Any Permitted, making an SVR a ludicrous £75.60.
If you want to travel on the 08:27 then a split at Oxford will save you 78% over the SOR you'd otherwise need.

This of course arises as the through ticket is priced for use via London.

infobleep

Veteran Member
These fares are set by GWR. Their pricing manager hasn't, apparently, been told that the Bicester curve is in use. There are reasonable fares Didcot (etc) <>Bicester Town/Village, from the time when Oxford-Bicester was operated by First Great Western.
If they read this forum, as it is said, some of the pricing managers do, may be they will make changes.

FenMan

Established Member
The problem appears to be widespread. An example:

The shortest route, by far, between Blackwater, on the North Downs Line, and Haddenham & Thame Parkway is via Reading and Oxford.
The only fare routeing available is ✠VIA LONDON and the Off Peak Day Return is £36.00.

As it happens I had to make this journey in 2019 and purchased Blackwater - Oxford, Oxford - Haddenham & Thame Parkway tickets.
At today's prices, these are £14.20 + £6.50 = £20.70

Status
Not open for further replies.