• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Chiltern] Trainee Train Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTrackMind

From Chiltern Railways...

We are currently taking speculative applications for Trainee Train Managers at Birmingham Moor Street. If you are interested in applying for this position please complete one of our application forms and return it to [email protected]. The closing date for speculative applications is 14 November 2014.

A decent way into the company if your close to the area :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheggers

Perfect for me as i'm leaving RAF after 20 years and moving back to the West Midlands Coventry/ Birmingham area. Weirdly enough I completed an application form for Chiltern recently after emailing them a weeks ago asking about trainee driver jobs and they saying they were going to advertise early 2015.

If there a job reference no. for the trainee train manager job?

OneTrackMind

Perfect for me as i'm leaving RAF after 20 years and moving back to the West Midlands Coventry/ Birmingham area. Weirdly enough I completed an application form for Chiltern recently after emailing them a weeks ago asking about trainee driver jobs and they saying they were going to advertise early 2015.

If there a job reference no. for the trainee train manager job?

AFAIK your right in that Trainee Drivers will be advertised next year; gotta ensure the current batch get through first though!

No job reference number, as it's only speculative.

Glad to hear it could work out so well for you! :D

"If you are interested in applying for this position please complete one of our application forms and return it to [email protected]"

Am I missing something obvious, but I cant see the form on the page?

387star

On Moderation
If I lived in that area I would jump at the chance to work for Chiltern

They now offer a clickable Microsoft word version of their application form is that new?

wellwhatitis

I got a "thanks but no thanks" email on Wednesday; perhaps no news is good news for you?

I got a bizarre e mail which I don't undertsand, read as follows:

Dear Applicant

Thank you for taking time to apply for the speculative position with Chiltern Railways.

We receive a high volume of applications and unfortunately at this stage we will not be pursing with your speculative application further. [sic]

I would like to keep your details on-file should we be speculatively recruiting for the position again.

Due to the volume of applications that we receive we are unable to respond to application's [sic] that are not successful at application stage.

Kind Regards

etc etc

Can anyone make head nor tail of that??

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think it means you didn't get in but they might contact you if they recruit again. Though that grammar is shocking and their proof reader (if they have one) needs the sack.

wellwhatitis

I think it means you didn't get in but they might contact you if they recruit again. Though that grammar is shocking and their proof reader (if they have one) needs the sack.

I'm glad you were able to work that out because I couldn't. And I can't believe that people with such shocking grammar get into a HR role at this level.

wellwhatitis

I had to apply by hard copy as the form on their site is completely unusable however you download it. I hope it wasn't this that cost me.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Maybe they actually work in India

Maybe they do. But that makes no difference; there is no excuse for formal written communications (which includes e-mails in my book) from UK companies to be in anything other than perfect English. If it is not, it shows an incredible degree of sloppiness and shows the company in extremely bad light.

FWIW, I tend to find you can identify where staff are from India in written correspondence not because there are grammatical errors, but because the English tends to be of a very formal and ever so slightly stilted or archaic[1] nature, but normally perfectly correct. Most people working in that kind of business in India have enough pride in their English that they would not allow a communication out with sloppy grammatical errors.

[1] One giveaway you do get a lot is "kindly" being used in a friendly manner - i.e. "Would you kindly send me a copy of the ticket so we can verify your claim" is a genuinely polite request, rather than being slightly perjorative in the manner of its typical UK usage - e.g. "Would you kindly do the washing up, I'm fed up of the mess in the kitchen".

Neil

Last edited:

Dear Applicant

Thank you for taking time to apply for the speculative position with Chiltern Railways.

We receive a high volume of applications and unfortunately at this stage we will not be pursing with your speculative application further. [sic]

I would like to keep your details on-file should we be speculatively recruiting for the position again.

Due to the volume of applications that we receive we are unable to respond to application's [sic] that are not successful at application stage.

Kind Regards

etc etc

That is exactly the same email that I received. I agree; it looks frankly amateurish, especially considering that it has come from a high profile organisation.

I also found the application form a little unwieldy; compare this with the Arriva Trains Wales application site, which I found to be excellent and extremely user-friendly

387star

On Moderation
The East Midlands application form is similar in that it requires you to spend time editing the document if you do not intend on hand writing

Could you send in this application by post as well? Normally chiltern only give this option

However on the chiltern site you can now download an MS application form for word which I don't remember earlier this year

Last edited:

Cheggers

Dear Applicant

Kind Regards

etc etc

I got the exact same email.

js47604

Just for info re Trainee Driver vacs in 2015, the courses for both 2015 and 2016 were filled by the recent applicants.

Status
Not open for further replies.