• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

China Rail Trip

CS2447

Any body been to China at all , I have friends in Xi'an flight prices have dropped to £630 so fancy some rail travel around China!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesr

I live in Hong Kong and travel into China by train on a semi-regular basis. I would recommend pre-booking rail travel and sticking to high speed lines unless you read Mandarin or are travelling with someone who does. The High Speed Lines tend to be just about manageable alone - most information is replicated in English. Google Translate will be your best friend to translate, but it’s translation into Chinese is a long way from perfect. Unlike other Google services, it still seems to work in mainland China.

Once you venture off the high speed network, it becomes a little more challenging - it can be quite difficult to communicate to purchase rail tickets, and, once purchased, quite challenging to identify which train you need and which platform it leaves from.

It’s normally fine when everything runs to time, but as soon as there is any kind of disruption, it’s challenging to work out what to do. I speak and read a little Mandarin but it’s not enough - on a couple of occasions, I’ve given up on day trips because I cannot work out where I need to go and can’t find anyone who speaks English, or can understand whatever Google Translate has done to my translated sentence. On one occasion, my train was terminated unexpectedly in a small town (by China standards), buses were arranged for onward travel, with departures to different places from different station exits. No information in English, of course. After an hour in a queue uncertain of what I was queueing for I gave up and decided to spend the day where I’d ended up.

Pre-booking - most high speed and inter-regional Chinese trains have a 14-day purchase window (i.e. they are only available for sale 14 days before the day) and once trains are sold out, there are no more tickets. This can be quite challenging at busy times of year (around Chinese public holidays) when it can become impossible to make a long distance journey for a couple days. There are websites for purchase, but with some exceptions, I wouldn’t expect English language webpages, and you may find tickets difficult to buy without a Chinese ID number and Chinese methods of payment (this is challenging even from Hong Kong). Because of this, you may find yourself left with whatever is left to buy at the station when you arrive.

I’ve never travelled to/from Xian by train - being a tourist place it’s quite possible (but far from certain) there’ll be some sort of English speaking support at main railway stations there, but I wouldn’t expect it in most Chinese cities.

An additional challenge post-Covid is that almost everything in China now operates through WeChatPay or AliPay - cash and credit cards are not accepted by restaurants or most shops - the only place I could find in Shanghai that would take cash was the 7-11. Within the last few months, they’ve added functionality for Hong Kong Credit Cards on WeChatPay, but I’m not sure this extends to British credit cards.

The high speed trains are brilliant, and generally run on time. The ”traditional” network varies considerably from route to route, but in a lot of cases the trains aren’t all that comfortable - windows are often dirty enough to be hard to see out of, customers have a habit of drawing all the curtains closed (which drives me nuts!), and seats are not always pleasant for a long distance trip, and although it’s changing, smoking in the vestibules is still common place in rural areas.

Sorry if this is a bit off putting - I love travelling around Asia by rail - Taiwan, Japan, Korea are all wonderfully easy to get around. China is an experience and you see some wonderful things by rail and get a real sense of adventure - but give it a go if you have a Mandarin speasker to travel with, or a lot of patience and you don’t mind the feeling of “I have absolutely no idea what is going on here”!!!

I expect others on here have more experience than me and can offer more positive advice!

CS2447

My friend is married to a Chinese Lady , they currently live in Beijing but are moving to Xi'an , her home base . Flight currently running at £650 ish then theres the £151 Visa ? then theres informing them of my travel itinary my friend Ian has lived in China since Pre Covid , but every thing seems to preclude having good assitance

ive watched a few Youtube travellers , one of the better ones was The New High Speed Line through to Lhasa , goes through Xi'an

Last edited:

P Binnersley

I went in 2004 and 2009. There was an extensive service of night sleeper trains for longer distances (e.g. Beijing - Xian, Xian - Guangzhou) which were reasonably priced and as good as if not better than their European counterparts at the time. I'm not sure how many are still running as this was pre-high speed rail. We were the only westerners on the train, but coped well with pointing and smiling.

There was somebody who used to publish a China rail timetable and this included a bi-lingual booking sheet you could fill in and hand over at the (Foreigners) booking office. I can't find a link now; but with the internet and google translate it probably isn't necessary.

I can recommend Suzhou and Hangzhou.

Established Member
Done Beijing - Pingyao Ancient City (overnight stop) - Xian. Views out of the window are a blur, but an excellent, growing train system. Xi'an has the obvious tourist traps (chaos, packed, avoid spring festival) however Pingyao is a lovely ancient city, and not too touristy.

Train tickets on sale on trip.com (used to be Ctrip) - your ID becomes your ticket after purchase (ie no barcodes or paper ticket necessary) - you scan this on the gate nowadays. For locals, it's their China National ID Card. For foreigners, it's your passport. You can't reserve a specific seat but you can request aisle or window, seats together etc.

Had some absolute bargains (£400ish rtn) with China Southern (via Guangzhou) from LHR or using Cathay to HK from Manchester (dearer), however MAN is set for more flights soon to mainland China from Manchester (with both Juneyao & Hainan Airlines).

For your visa, the Portland St visa centre needs no appointment now. For a destination visit ie travelling round, the China tourist L visa is around £240. A cheaper option I use is the free transit (144hours, one or two provinces only) is still available on arrival at many mainland airports, if youre travelling from UK, eg Country 1, via China, on to Country 3 (eg onward to Australia, NZ, Thailand or even HK - a territory).

rf_ioliver

I was there in 2016 (twice). Took the high speed train from Beijing West to Xian North and vice versa (G-category train), 5h30 passing through some huge (and unknown) cities.

https://www.seat61.com/China.htm was invaluable!

Beijing South IMHO had the fastest moving queues for the ticket offices I have ever seen. Take cash (just in case). Xi'an North is a long way north of the city - I think the metro line goes there now, but otherwise expect an "exciting" taxi ride with some impressive manoeuvers to get around traffic

Trains were packed full of people, except in first/business class. Take snacks though I got server a snack box and drink. Restaurant car serves drinks and snacks. Other passengers were friendly and you will get used for English language practice.

If you go to Xi'an ... city walls and the Terracotta Army ... well worth it and at the latter you can hire a guide.

doc7austin

Well, I'd recommend to walk off a bit the classic tourist routes.

Inner Mongolia - I've enjoyed travelling to this province. And I even broke away from using high-speed trains, but actually buying a ticket for a classic night train.

In addition - all of Mainland China (except Tibet) had become visa-free for citizens of France, the Netherlands, Germany, and Italy - up to 15 days.

CS2447

Done Beijing - Pingyao Ancient City (overnight stop) - Xian. Views out of the window are a blur, but an excellent, growing train system. Xi'an has the obvious tourist traps (chaos, packed, avoid spring festival) however Pingyao is a lovely ancient city, and not too touristy.

Train tickets on sale on trip.com (used to be Ctrip) - your ID becomes your ticket after purchase (ie no barcodes or paper ticket necessary) - you scan this on the gate nowadays. For locals, it's their China National ID Card. For foreigners, it's your passport. You can't reserve a specific seat but you can request aisle or window, seats together etc.

Had some absolute bargains (£400ish rtn) with China Southern (via Guangzhou) from LHR or using Cathay to HK from Manchester (dearer), however MAN is set for more flights soon to mainland China from Manchester (with both Juneyao & Hainan Airlines).

For your visa, the Portland St visa centre needs no appointment now. For a destination visit ie travelling round, the China tourist L visa is around £240. A cheaper option I use is the free transit (144hours, one or two provinces only) is still available on arrival at many mainland airports, if youre travelling from UK, eg Country 1, via China, on to Country 3 (eg onward to Australia, NZ, Thailand or even HK - a territory).
Thanks for that reply, full of great info , my friends wife had to pay £350 for a visa so we cant moan at £150. so if i'm travelling round its a different Visa i take it!

Well, I'd recommend to walk off a bit the classic tourist routes.

Inner Mongolia - I've enjoyed travelling to this province. And I even broke away from using high-speed trains, but actually buying a ticket for a classic night train.

In addition - all of Mainland China (except Tibet) had become visa-free for citizens of France, the Netherlands, Germany, and Italy - up to 15 days.
I'm currently working my way through these Youtube Vids, there is an English Guy called China Traveller who speaks perfect Mandarin , great interaction with local people.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Have been there 5x, the first 2 in a guided group and pre 2000 (even into Tibet once) and the last 3 all by myself, incl a then easy to organise visum. DO realise you now need a visum that seems to cost at least 150US$+ a lot of burocrazyness. But with very smart planning in flights it seems you can stay as stop-over/transit in some towns for MAX 96 hrs. without visa.
Since 1/11-when last anti-covid meaures were withdrawn, China even tries to attract tourists a new, and offers max 15 day VISA-free entry to 6 nations- 5 major EUmembers-so UK is out. Being among the honored nations I am thinking of maybe going again.
I visited all +_ 20 cities at that time that had trolleybuses and/or trams-most are withdrawn now and there hardly was a hi-speed train. Did it also on a budget and in fact I think that made this a little easier-sleep in hoStels and be assured of /en/speaking staff and help in those matters they knew the bignoses were not used to. Alternating night in sleeper/train and in hoStel mostly. But every time this also became more difficult and the reward less and less- so the last time I thought this would be last indeed. But I cannot really remember big mishaps on going by train
As above pointed at, the way on how to currently pay etc also is very often mentioned as big stumbleblock. It seems one can also buy kind of preloaded moneycards-like used in publ. transp. in some countries.
Of course it will very well be possible to have it all arranged for you- trip.com is best know for that- but that will cost extra.
For around 6/700€ with some planning it is quite possible to fly return to about any ASEAN nation and countries like Thailand, Malaysia are among them and offer easy visa-free entry and have an excellent and quite cheap tourist infrastructure-and railways too. Hot tropical weather too.

sh24

I did 2 months in 1997 and managed OK, without Google Translate or any other tech. Prebooking is the best option as it removes the most challenging part of the process. I've been frequently ever since, mostly on business, and find China a much easier place than before. Don't try and do too much, treat it as an adventure and you'll be fine.

Xi'an is an interesting place to start or finish your travels.

Chester1

Established Member
I would like to do a holiday in China one day but it will have to be to Taiwan because I don't want to support a regime that hates the west and surpresses various minorities!

johnnychips

Established Member
I have done Qingdao to Beijing twice and Qingdao to Shanghai once. In Qingdao there was a dedicated English counter, and I had all the details of train number, times, dates and class written out ready. It was relatively easy. I would recommend First Class if you can - it wasn’t much dearer, and there is the risk of second class tickets being sold out.

doc7austin

Google Translate won't work even in the year 2024 - in Mainland China.

Dining Car on a classic K night train in China:

china-dining-car-01.jpg

china-dining-car-04.jpg

china-dining-car-02.jpg

china-dining-car-08.jpg

And an older Soft Sleeper car:

china-dining-car-05.jpg

china-dining-car-06.jpg

china-dining-car-07.jpg

china-dining-car-09.jpg

china-dining-car-10.jpg

I have published a video recently about classic Chinese night trains:

Enjoy !

Last edited:

CS2447

Google Translate won't work even in the year 2024 - in Mainland China.

Dining Car on a classic K night train in China:

View attachment 149836

View attachment 149837

View attachment 149838

View attachment 149839

And an older Soft Sleeper car:

View attachment 149840

View attachment 149841

View attachment 149842

View attachment 149843

View attachment 149844

I have published a video recently about classic Chinese night trains:

Enjoy !
That food looked very nice , nice Vlog that one.

Tester

There was somebody who used to publish a China rail timetable and this included a bi-lingual booking sheet you could fill in and hand over at the (Foreigners) booking office. I can't find a link now; but with the internet and google translate it probably isn't necessary.
That would be me :D

The link is www.chinatt.org

Not updated since 2019 (with an explanation on the home page as to why) but there is useful information there for anyone interested in travelling by train in China.

doc7austin

Why don't you just use trip.com to research train timetables and book tickets (without the need to go to a booking office) ?

CS2447

Why don't you just use trip.com to research train timetables and book tickets (without the need to go to a booking office) ?
I have access to the information via Chinese friends , the first post was a general invite for peoples experiences while travelling on the trains in China

dutchflyer

Established Member
All Asian food always looks so nice on the pix........... They may however also have quite weird or unusual tastes.
As for those who wonder: ANY activity of a US-based mr. google is NOT allowed=BANned in that mainland (and not in Taiwan-where I was some 6 weeks ago).
as above also suggests : trip.com is by far the best site for general info, bookings (Both transport-any and HTLs).
Read a entertaining and thorough report with much sensible advice from a German who was there on that new visa-free regime (does not apply to Brits-only a few EU + Malaysia) on his own and without any previous experience.