• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

China's 245mph train service, built in 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroland

Established Member
In the week that Britain's high speed rail link closed down because the wrong sort of snow interfered with the engine's electronics, China unveiled the world's fastest train service on one of the coldest days of the year.

Days after thousands of passengers were left stranded when Eurostar services were cancelled, China's new system connects the modern cities of Guangzhou and Wuhan at an average speed of 217mph - and it took just four years to build.

The super-high-speed train reduces the 664-mile journey to just a three-hour ride and cuts the previous journey time by more than seven-and-a-half hours, the official Xinhua news agency said.

In September, officials said they planned to build 42 high-speed lines by 2012 in a massive system overhaul as part of efforts to spur economic growth amid the global downturn.

Read more: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/...-completed-just-FOUR-years.html#ixzz0aq2EICLh

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyvern

Established Member
They have the land to do it, the distance to cover and the punters to pay the fares.

Flywaver

The revenue speed is 350km/h (217mph) Not 245mph!? That was a test run speed...

starrymarkb

Established Member
Well unlike Britain there will little/no compensation for the compusery purchases, no health and safety at all (life is cheap) etc etc

A60K

Chinese have always been one step ahead.
erm... opening a high-speed line 40 years after the Japanese, 30 years after the French, 20 years after the Germans and Spanish - not exactly one step ahead! When I went to China 13 years ago I was amazed how far behind it was in getting things that the Western world has considered normal for the past 50-100 years. It's only in the last 5-10 years that China has really started to catch up, but it's still not on a par with Western development. Or were you getting mixed up with Japan? :)

Drsatan

Established Member
Don't forget, it was built in five years because China has a huge workforce, there was the political spirit for it, and China doesn't **** around with public inquiries. Furthermore, when HS2 is (eventually, if ever) built if it has to cut across your land you could land an objection and delay construction; in China if you protested against your house being demolished to make way for a high-speed line you'd be locked up.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
...or worse. Also, they've had to buy-in trains- the CRH3 units running on the fast services are Siemens Velaro based; they've also got E2 Shinkansens and Pendolinos.

this was their own attempt.

gingerheid

Established Member
They also have an extensive and rather more old-fashioned non-highspeed network that I believe had more serious problems than ours when cold weather hit at the time of Chinese new year.

richa2002

Established Member
Don't forget, it was built in five years because China has a huge workforce, there was the political spirit for it, and China doesn't **** around with public inquiries. Furthermore, when HS2 is (eventually, if ever) built if it has to cut across your land you could land an objection and delay construction; in China if you protested against your house being demolished to make way for a high-speed line you'd be locked up.
You make it sound like public inquiry is a bad thing. I'd be pretty miffed if I was told I had to move out of my house, no questions asked.

Drsatan

Established Member
You make it sound like public inquiry is a bad thing. I'd be pretty miffed if I was told I had to move out of my house, no questions asked.

Public inquiries tend to delay projects and push costs up. This is a bit off-topic but remember it took 20 years to plan, design and build Terminal 5 at Heathrow because of the endless public inquiries surrounding the project? By contrast, Beijing's new airport was designed and built in four years.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Well unlike Britain there will little/no compensation for the compusery purchases, no health and safety at all (life is cheap) etc etc

You might be right about the compulsory purchasing, but China seems very big on H&S now.

Status
Not open for further replies.