• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas Day bus services 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

With just over a week to go until the 'big day', I've started this thread to create a list of bus / coach services running on Christmas day across the UK, disregarding those which operate in the early hours of the 25th by virtue of being 'last buses' on Christmas Eve. Those I've identified so far as running are, in no particular order:

Southern Vectis: a network of 5 routes
Morebus: M1 and M2 each operating hourly, offering a combined 30 minute frequency over common sections
Oxford Bus Company: Airline operating between Oxford and Heathrow
Metrobus: Fastway 10 operating twice hourly throughout the day and night
Arriva Essex: routes 133, 309 and 510
Stagecoach Highlands: Dounreay works Service 276 will operate a normal Saturday service.
Stagecoach Manchester: special service on route 43
Stagecoach Merseyside: a network of 12 routes tendered by Merseytravel. Not clear if Stagecoach operate all of these
First Berkshire: Sunday service on routes 7, RA1 and RA2.
The Lothian 'group' have 18 services running
Black Prince are running 2 routes
1950's Vintage Bus Hire are again running 2 RTs between Roehampton and Putney Bridge Station over TfL route 430
National Express are running 13 routes
Megabus are running to 28 locations
Citylink 900 will link Edinburgh with Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Route 43 in Manchester is the service between Manchester City Centre (Piccadilly Gardens) and Manchester Airport via the Wilmslow Road corridor.

Has for a number of years been the only service operating in Greater Manchester on Christmas Day.

Hourly service planned on Saturday 25th December 2021, departing Manchester City Centre at 0905, then xx05 until 1905.

Similar times from the Airport, although the last one is at 2005. Fifty-five minutes journey time, each way.

Believe four drivers are required to operate the day's service(s).

Not sure if someone has already mentioned it but First are running services X25, X26 and X38 next Saturday, under contract to West Lothian Council.
Details of their Christmas & New Year schedules are in the link below.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The purpose of this thread was to provide a list of services that are running on Christmas day, not to debate the rights and wrongs.

I have moved that debate to the following thread:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
With just over a week to go until the 'big day', I've started this thread to create a list of bus / coach services running on Christmas day across the UK, disregarding those which operate in the early hours of the 25th by virtue of being 'last buses' on Christmas Eve. Those I've identified so far as running are, in no particular order:

1950's Vintage Bus Hire are again running 2 RTs between Roehampton and Putney Bridge Station over TfL route 430
Anyone know why this route is chosen above any other? Seems to be well patronised from the photos I've seen, but the clientele largely appear to be enthusiasts. some of whom probably travelled many miles to get there.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
After around 25 years of having 3 hourly volunteer vintage bus services on Christmas Day, this is the second year Keighley doesn't have any. It's not clear if they still return post-Covid.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Ember electric coach service appears to be running 2 return services between Edinburgh and Dundee

mjc

In Stoke I don’t think that First or D&G are running anything but PMT Preservation Trust (825 Preservation Group on Facebook) is running a limited service using preserved bus serving the main hospital.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
First Glasgow used to run the 500 airport bus on Xmas day but it hasn't run last few years. As far as I know the 900 Glasgow - Edinburgh will be the only bus in Glasgow on Christmas day.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Glasgow used to run the 500 airport bus on Xmas day but it hasn't run last few years. As far as I know the 900 Glasgow - Edinburgh will be the only bus in Glasgow on Christmas day.
It never ran on Christmas Day - it was New Years Day it ran on a 20 minute service. The last time any First bus ran in Glasgow on Christmas Day was Christmas 2009.

gunn13

It never ran on Christmas Day - it was New Years Day it ran on a 20 minute service. The last time any First bus ran in Glasgow on Christmas Day was Christmas 2009.
Out of interest, would you happen to know any previous First Glasgow Christmas Day service patterns? I have a strong recollection of there being a skeleton service with at least the 36 and 61 running on Christmas Day sometime around 2007/8 but I have never been able to find any evidence of it! Whenever I mention it to others, nobody else seems to remember it.

Bus Lightyear

Out of interest, would you happen to know any previous First Glasgow Christmas Day service patterns? I have a strong recollection of there being a skeleton service with at least the 36 and 61 running on Christmas Day sometime around 2007/8 but I have never been able to find any evidence of it! Whenever I mention it to others, nobody else seems to remember it.
First Glasgow operated the 5, 12, 18, 20, 36, 38, 40, 41, 45, 54, 57, 61, 62, 66, 75, 88, 205, 240 and 267 on Christmas Day and New Years Day up until around 10 years ago. Most timetables were every 60 minutes between 0800 and 2000 approx.

Strathclyde's Buses provided a similar range of services on the same dates in the late 80s and early 90s. I cannot recall if Clydeside or Kelvin Central operated anything.

gunn13

First Glasgow operated the 5, 12, 18, 20, 36, 38, 40, 41, 45, 54, 57, 61, 62, 66, 75, 88, 205, 240 and 267 on Christmas Day and New Years Day up until around 10 years ago. Most timetables were every 60 minutes between 0800 and 2000 approx.

Strathclyde's Buses provided a similar range of services on the same dates in the late 80s and early 90s. I cannot recall if Clydeside or Kelvin Central operated anything.
Amazing! Thanks for this. Would love to see some level of Xmas Day service again around Glasgow, I would definitely use it!

route101

Established Member
Amazing! Thanks for this. Would love to see some level of Xmas Day service again around Glasgow, I would definitely use it!
At that time the night buses ran throughout the week too.

I think my Dad used it when he didn't have a car. I suppose its ok if you don't have to connect to another service.

pgfb1306

Flixbus running a few routes. Whippet are running 001 Newcastle - Leeds - London, 002 Bradford - Leeds - London, 005 Derby - Leicester - London, 006 Cambridge - London and 023 Manchester - Birmingham - London. And Turner's Cardiff - Bristol - London. Are Ridleys doing anything today??

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Symphony Coaches had an Enviro 40D in Hounslow this morning, I am assuming on some form of shuttle for airport workers at Heathrow. It was labelled ‘Bus 2’ so there was probably at least one more out there somewhere.

Wessexbuses

Operating the Morebus & Bluestar Services today including swaps are

Bluestar
1X - 1242(HF68 DYJ)
18X - 1235(HF68 DXZ), 1252(HF68 DXW)

Morebus
M1 - 1123 (HF58 GZC), 1198(HW58 GZN), 1626(HF66 CEJ)
M2 - 1021(YN06 JWY), 1101(HW08 AOP), 1104(HW08 AOT)

Bus Lightyear

No problem. From memory volunteers were asked to work on one or other or both days and they were paid double time. Unfortunately there wasn't enough demand on Xmas day.

TheSel

Merseytravel tendered 44, Formby to Crossens via Southport Hospital (generally an Arriva Merseyside commercial service worked by Southport depot) is being worked by Stagecoach (Gillmoss depot) Solo 47331 - PX06FYB today. A couple of pictures (my own) below.

47331 - PX06FYB - Southport, Eastbank Street (2).jpg47331 - PX06FYB - Southport, Hesketh Park (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steddenm

Had an email from Hannons Coaches saying that the Glasgow-Belfast-Lisburn-Lurgan will be operating a normal service today. Three minutes later an email saying they aren't as Stena aren't running ships Cairnryan-Belfast.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Diamond are operating Hotel Hoppa services serving Heathrow.
They also had at least one vehicle out doing the DHL (the courier/parcel delivery firm) staff shuttle, although I guess that probably doesn't count for this thread, not being a public service.

Status
Not open for further replies.