• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas Eve travel to Oxted

Status
Not open for further replies.

les.

Hi,

I am traveling down to my brothers on Christmas Eve and was just wondering if anyone was aware of any pending strike action which may happen on the day.

I will be traveling into KX on VTEC and then tube to Victoria and the Southern service to Oxted. I am aware of the recent strike action by Southern but I'm not aware if they are planning any strike action on Christmas Eve.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've given this thread a descriptive title and moved it to the appropriate forum.

No strike that day but a driver overtime ban is in force and short notice cancellations and delays may occur.

See: http://www.southernrailway.com/strike-action/saturday-24-december/

I would not be surprised if some of the trains listed as operating are cancelled at short notice.

Last edited:

les.

I've given this thread a descriptive title and moved it to the appropriate forum.

No strike that day but a driver overtime ban is in force and short notice cancellations and delays may occur.

GTR have uploaded their expected timetable here:
http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/strike/travel-advice-for-driver-overtime-ban-on-weekdays

I would not be surprised if some of the trains listed as operating are cancelled at short notice.

The last Oxted train is booked to be the 2323 from Victoria.

Thanks for that. I should get into KX around 5pm ish so at least I should have plenty of time to get to Oxted even if it means a couple of pints whilst waiting for a late or delayed train. :D

I also notice that link is for the Monday-Friday timetable but Christmas Eve is Saturday this year.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Looks like the official advice is to check the journey planners on the afternoon of the 23rd. However at present, a half-hourly service departing VIC at xx53 and xx23 is expected to run (in theory).

les.

Looks like the official advice is to check the journey planners on the afternoon of the 23rd. However at present, a half-hourly service departing VIC at xx53 and xx23 is expected to run (in theory).

Thanks for your advice. Hopefully all will be okay. I travel down every year but just didn't fancy getting stranded at Victoria this year if there were more strikes planned.

Veteran Member
The last Oxted train is booked to be the 2323 from Victoria.

The OJP is showing the 2053 as the last train - this is much more likely, given the longstanding early closedown.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I also notice that link is for the Monday-Friday timetable but Christmas Eve is Saturday this year.

The reduced timetable is essentially the Saturday one.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I am doubtful that a service will leave Victoria for Oxted as late as 2353 on Christmas Eve. I think that a last train at 2053 is far more likely, too.

les.

I got there on Christmas Eve and back again yesterday (27th) with no problems at all. Every train on time and far quieter on Christmas Eve as it is usually.

Only slight delay on the way home was the 3 million people at Victoria Underground station. If they treated cattle like that there would be uproar!

Status
Not open for further replies.