• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Churnet Valley Railway, Winter Steam Gala.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
Churnet Valley Railway, Winter Steam Gala. Saturday 25th February 2017.

I`d be looking forward to seeing two USATC S160`s together for sometime. Rob was back in the UK and stayed over on the Friday night, and after a few beers, and some catching up, we eventually hit the sack, but with an early start, I was up at 05.00 for the drive down to the Churnet Valley, arriving by around 07.00 and in good time to take a few images of the locos steaming up on shed, and ready for action.

Loco`s in steam were USATC S160`s numbers 5197 and 6046, amazing to see two of those beasts together, also visiting were Brighton Terrier ex SECR P number 323, Bluebell and resident loco Polish TKh number 2944 Hotspur.

We purchased senior all day rovers at £20 each, excellent value and as soon as the buffet was open a bacon and sausage teacake and a brew. We took the first train up to Froghall behind one of the Big Jims, and after a quick turn around we made the run from Froghall to Ipstones Loop, top and tailed by the Big Jim`s. Returning to Cheddleton, while I grabbed a few more sausage and bacon teacakes and another coffee, I met up with Rob again for the ride behind Bluebell and the Polish tank, which were top and tailing a shuttle service as far as Constall, changing trains for the returning Big Jim, which were running up to Ipstone Loop for the second time of the day, Rob stayed on again, but I decided to alight at Cheddleton, bought 3 railway books, (I really shouldn’t), and caught “Bluebell” and the Polish tank back upto Froghall, where I couldn’t resist another sausage and bacon teacake, another coffee, a kit-kat and a can of coke, I really do eat too much.

I waited at Froghall for the Big Jim`s to return with Rob on board and then boarded for the last run, double headed Big Jim`s back up the Ipstone Loop, it was amazing having two on the front, plus the little Polish tank banking us. Returning to Cheddleton again, Rob continued back up to Froghall, while I wanted to take a few more images on shed as the light faded. Rob returned on the last train from Froghall and after the drive home we arrived back in North Manchester by around 19.30 after a great day on the Churnet Valley Railway, a big well done to everyone involved and lovely to meet up with a few friends down there, until next time guys.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...05193596997.1073742676.100001125840218&type=3

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You've just set me off looking up S160s Shredder. When I volunteered at the Mid Hants years ago we had one there (3278/701 Franklin D Roosevelt). It was incredibly noisy and you could hear it from miles away.
Must do that railway at some point, especially if they're running on the Caulden Low branch as there's some proper banks on it.

shredder1

Established Member
You've just set me off looking up S160s Shredder. When I volunteered at the Mid Hants years ago we had one there (3278/701 Franklin D Roosevelt). It was incredibly noisy and you could hear it from miles away.
Must do that railway at some point, especially if they're running on the Caulden Low branch as there's some proper banks on it.

Ah yes you had Roosevelt on the Mid Hants, amazing locos, they have one at Worth valley too of course. Sadly Cauldon Low only goes as far as the Ipstones Loop now, the rest has been lifted.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah yes you had Roosevelt on the Mid Hants, amazing locos, they have one at Worth valley too of course. Sadly Cauldon Low only goes as far as the Ipstones Loop now, the rest has been lifted.

How many miles is Ipstones from Leekbrook Junction then? Is it quite a climb? I remember looking at a feature on that section and it all looked a bit careworn even after they'd cleared the vegetation away.

Status
Not open for further replies.