• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Circle Line Terminators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyman42

Established Member
I was on a Circle Line train from Kings Cross that terminated in one of the bay platforms at Moorgate. I have never known this before, is it common?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
I was on a Circle Line train from Kings Cross that terminated in one of the bay platforms at Moorgate. I have never known this before, is it common?
Not common, signal problems at Tower Hill prevented Circle trains continuing this morning.

Last edited:

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Not common, signal problems at Tower Hill prevented Circle trains continuing this morning.

Depends on your definition of common!

On average around three or four Circles a day usually end up there to recover late running, either being extended there after arriving ex Circle at Edgware Road, or diverted there ex Hammersmith in lieu of going round. Both allow service recovery and trains to be presented right time at Edgware Road for the Inner Rail/westbound.

Diverting trains to Moorgate due to disruption on the District is less common.

jumble

Depends on your definition of common!

On average around three or four Circles a day usually end up there to recover late running, either being extended there after arriving ex Circle at Edgware Road, or diverted there ex Hammersmith in lieu of going round. Both allow service recovery and trains to be presented right time at Edgware Road for the Inner Rail/westbound.

Diverting trains to Moorgate due to disruption on the District is less common.

My Met train terminated at Moorgate yesterday at around 10.30

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The other week , a westbound S stock destined for Hammersmith was "reformed" into a Wimbledon train via High St Kensington in the Baker Street area.

Pretty unusual ? - caused some panic to the Paddington bound NR travellers , but I reassured them they had a shorter hike to the main concourse !

AlbertBeale

Established Member
The other week , a westbound S stock destined for Hammersmith was "reformed" into a Wimbledon train via High St Kensington in the Baker Street area.

Pretty unusual ? - caused some panic to the Paddington bound NR travellers , but I reassured them they had a shorter hike to the main concourse !

Are all drivers on the H&C, Circle and [at least] Edgware Rd-Wimbledon Districts trained on each other's routes so that they can switch at will?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Are all drivers on the H&C, Circle and [at least] Edgware Rd-Wimbledon Districts trained on each other's routes so that they can switch at will?
Circle and H&C drivers form one pool, trained to all Line locations.
Only Earl’s Court and Acton Town District drivers (and Line I/Os) are trained between High Street Kensington and Edgware Road.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Circle and H&C drivers form one pool, trained to all Line locations.
Only Earl’s Court and Acton Town District drivers (and Line I/Os) are trained between High Street Kensington and Edgware Road.

So there would inevitably have been a crew change on this service at Edgware Road (and probably a change in the set number) ?

Not often you get "odd" things on the system - many years ago on a freezing Sunday evening we were detrained on the eastbound at Farringdon , off a Circle , and whilst wondering how to say alive in the cold - a PA announcement advised us to stay put - and a train was reversed over the then extant crossover from what I now know to be the inner rail to the outer rail and we carried on our journey (and made the connections at Liverpool St) ......pre-graffiti "C" stock in those days.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Yes. Crew changeover at Edgware Road. This would have been a stock and crew changeover with the CnH driver transferring to a train at Edgware Road that would previously have been on the District line.

These are common in the evenings to help with ensuring the right trains get back to the right maintenance depots, as not all depots can do all the work.

They’ve become a bit more common during the day too if a train has any CBTC issues (generally VOBC related) with an additional changeover happening at Earl’s Court.

They can also happen during disruption to reinstate a Circle line that’s running late, with that train then moving to the District when it eventually turns up.

Whilst not frequent it’s certainly not unusual.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Yes. Crew changeover at Edgware Road. This would have been a stock and crew changeover with the CnH driver transferring to a train at Edgware Road that would previously have been on the District line.

These are common in the evenings to help with ensuring the right trains get back to the right maintenance depots, as not all depots can do all the work.

They’ve become a bit more common during the day too if a train has any CBTC issues (generally VOBC related) with an additional changeover happening at Earl’s Court.

They can also happen during disruption to reinstate a Circle line that’s running late, with that train then moving to the District when it eventually turns up.

Whilst not frequent it’s certainly not unusual.

Thanks for that - as an ex operating manager I can certainly follow the logic of getting trains to and from maintenance ! (after the peak , this move would make sense !)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There is, of course, a major crew depot at Edgware Road so aside from being the intersection between the routes it's a very logical place to swap crews over anyway.

Out of curiosity, are any of the posters here based at that depot?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
There is, of course, a major crew depot at Edgware Road so aside from being the intersection between the routes it's a very logical place to swap crews over anyway.

Out of curiosity, are any of the posters here based at that depot?

Only for C&H drivers, and even then it's no more or less major than the other crew depots at Hammersmith and Barking.

Whilst not based at the crew depot, I was a Signaller Instructor at Edgware Road cabin for two and a half years prior to its closure earlier this year, so I have a pretty much inside-out knowledge of the area and working practices.

Thanks for that - as an ex operating manager I can certainly follow the logic of getting trains to and from maintenance ! (after the peak , this move would make sense !)

Stock and crews for depot requirements will generally happen after the evening peak, but they can happen at any time of day if the trains have already been identified as needing to be swapped. There's very little flexibility for additional adhoc stock movements on the network, so the best way is to get the trains onto diagrams that will allow them to remain in service and get back to the correct location.

Status
Not open for further replies.