• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

City Breaks by Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReverendFozz

Hi, not quite sure if this is the board to post this on, so feel free to shift it if needs be.

As I said elsewhere a few days ago, I am going to London in early May for my 30th birthday, do the TOCs sell packages that include Rail Travel and some digs, I would prefer to travel GC from Sunderland, if that aint possible then East Coast from Durham.

So could I get a package deal from a TOC or would I need to book through a Travel Agent.

As much as I like buses and coaches, I am not particlarly keen on sitting on one for 6-7 hours, I much prefer the train, as I have a very short attention and concentration spans, so walking up and down eases boredom somewhat for me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated..Thanks in advance guys

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pt_mad

Established Member
Hi, not quite sure if this is the board to post this on, so feel free to shift it if needs be.

As I said elsewhere a few days ago, I am going to London in early May for my 30th birthday, do the TOCs sell packages that include Rail Travel and some digs, I would prefer to travel GC from Sunderland, if that aint possible then East Coast from Durham.

So could I get a package deal from a TOC or would I need to book through a Travel Agent.

As much as I like buses and coaches, I am not particlarly keen on sitting on one for 6-7 hours, I much prefer the train, as I have a very short attention and concentration spans, so walking up and down eases boredom somewhat for me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated..Thanks in advance guys

Travelling by rail aint much of a holiday! (joke) :)

cuccir

Established Member
There are some companies who offer rail packages such as Superbreak, though I've never used them before. They seem to be offering around £150 a head for two nights in a hotel and rail tickets, for a randomly picked date in May. Off-Peak travel booked through East Coast is £116.20 for a return without railcards, though you can get cheaper deals with advance tickets - down to under £50 if you book well in advance. Obviously the full cost depends then on what sort of hotel you want.

D1009

Established Member
No, stand to be corrected but I don't think there are any regular weekend inclusive city breaks offered by train companies.

I've looked at some of the other inclusive deals mentioned, sometimes they're advertised in local newspapers, but I've found generally that you can do it cheaper by booking advance tickets on line and using sites like booking.com for hotels. However if your visit happens to coincide with anything going on in London, availabilty of any kind of cheap deal both for train and hotel disappears very quickly.

Bungle73

On Moderation
If you're a Times+ member you can get a 10% discount off Superbreak booked breaks. I used it myself to book my trip to Newcastle.

ReverendFozz

Thank you guys, I am looking at all options at the moment, I am going over FA Cup Weekend, although I dont intend on going to Wembley, one of my teams still have a chance of playing there if we beat Everton next week, even if Sunderland reach the final, it is not my intention to go there, as I am more interested in seeing Charlton play Hartlepool the same day...

It got me thinking, if Sunderland get to the Final would East Coast or GC do some special deals for that.

I think there is a travel agent in Sunderland who do rail/hotel breaks...

Once again thanks for the replies

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I think if we get to Wembley the cheap fares and hotels will disappear quite rapidly. I would imagine a footex may be put on. I remeber the Play Off Final against Charlton and there was a class 90 used on a footex from Newcastle

Squaddie

Check out the usual budget hotel chains - Travelodge, Premier Inn, even YHA (youth hostels association) - to see what deals they have and buy Advance train tickets as soon as possible. But don't expect many, or any, of the advertised £39 hotel deals that you get in the rest of the country because London hotels are always in demand. You might be able to get a Premier Inn for £79 or so if you're prepared to stay out in Edgware or Ealing, but expect to pay nearer £150 in central London.

Status
Not open for further replies.