• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"City Status" Communities with the word "Town" in one of their station names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A S Leib

Town Hall tram stop, Birmingham
Chapeltown and Gleadless Townend (tram), Sheffield
Holt Town and Wythenshawe Town Centre (both tram), Manchester
Grangetown, Cardiff

Going the other way, there's Letchworth and Welwyn Garden City and, going by local authority and not urban area, White City (tube) and London City Airport (DLR).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Wrexham General would sound better as Wrexham City/Dinas Wrecsam.
Had Virgin still been around, they would be naming a Pendolino "City of Wrexham" as well.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Wrexham General would sound better as Wrexham City/Dinas Wrecsam.
Had Virgin still been around, they would be naming a Pendolino "City of Wrexham" as well.
I'd rather keep General as a nod to the original GWR and rename Central as Wrexham City. I've never been to Wrexham though!

[.n]

The station sign there says Colchester Town, formerly St Botolphs.

It will now have to read Colchester City, formerly Colchester Town, formerly St Botolphs :)
I always preferred it as St Botolphs

Though of course they could cause even more confusion by renaming Colchester to Colchester City (bearing in mind most/a lot people still call it Colchester North - which I'm not even sure was ever an official name for it)

The branding is only referencing Scottish cities! Typical!

How tremendously silly of a national train operator. Naming an Intercity service after the cities it'll actually serve within its borders and not including other cities in other countries you can't get a direct train to and are across the sea.

I definitely wouldn't call the ScotRail services from Glasgow to Carlisle or Newcastle "Intercity". The service is a single 156 trundling through desolate countryside at 50mph. It only runs about half a dozen times per day and there's a gap of several hours between services. There are Avanti and TransPennine services that leave Glasgow an hour after the ScotRail service and still arrive in Carlisle before it does.

Same with the service to Belfast. The train runs less than half way from Glasgow to the port at Cairnryan. It's a bus that takes you the rest of the way. Ever since they moved the ferry port from Stranraer to Cairnryan, the railway line to Stranraer has been a bit of a white elephant.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I look forward to Ormskirk getting city status (to celebrate Lizzie's telegram to herself- apparently Queen Victoria was fond of Ormskirk gingerbread) and the ensuing debate on here about Town Green station... :lol:

GordonT

Though of course they could cause even more confusion by renaming Colchester to Colchester City (bearing in mind most/a lot people still call it Colchester North - which I'm not even sure was ever an official name for it)
Similar situation exists in Dunfermline where many locals still refer to Dunfermline Town as the "Lower station".

roadierway77

As I asked in another thread when the new city status was announced, will Scotrail now have to rebrand all its Inter 7 City stuff?
Probably not. They'll likely just ignore the fact Scotland will soon officially have eight cities. Plus, Dunfermline isn't served on the Inter7City network, the closest you'll get is Inverkeithing. There did actually use to be a couple of peak time services operated by HSTs through Dunfermline but I believe that as of the May timetable change they have gone.

On a similar note, Scottish Citylink have '6 Cities' branding on their coaches, with a simplified map showing Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness - for some reason it seems they believe Stirling isn't a city!

BeijingDave

Regarding Dunfermline, I don't know the local area but it's highly possible that locals refer to a particular area as 'Town'.

Just as in Edinburgh, where there is the Old Town and the New Town (never upgraded to Old City and New City).

And of course Perth, which has long been referred to as 'St. John's Toun', thus giving their local professional football club it's name.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'd rather keep General as a nod to the original GWR and rename Central as Wrexham City. I've never been to Wrexham though!
Wrexham Central is about the most pitiful terminus imaginable since it was relocated away from the original site.
It's a virtually invisible single platform attached to a shopping centre, and not significantly nearer the city centre than General.
I think Maesteg is rather similar.

BeijingDave

Probably not. They'll likely just ignore the fact Scotland will soon officially have eight cities. Plus, Dunfermline isn't served on the Inter7City network, the closest you'll get is Inverkeithing. There did actually use to be a couple of peak time services operated by HSTs through Dunfermline but I believe that as of the May timetable change they have gone.

On a similar note, Scottish Citylink have '6 Cities' branding on their coaches, with a simplified map showing Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness - for some reason it seems they believe Stirling isn't a city!
Of the 7, Perth is the most questionable as it had its city status revoked in the 1990s, only to be reinstated in 2012.

Are you sure it's Stirling and not Perth they omit?

Wrexham Central is about the most pitiful terminus imaginable since it was relocated away from the original site.
It's a virtually invisible single platform attached to a shopping centre, and not significantly nearer the city centre than General.
I think Maesteg is rather similar.

Wrexham has no need to rename either, as neither is called 'Town'.

Unless they really want to announce to the world that they are now a city by needlessly renaming stations, which seems a bit excessive, but would actually be a very 'Wrexham' thing to do.

Last edited:

SargeNpton

Established Member

The 1924 OS map for Colchester refers to it as North Station, and to this day the road leading to it is North Station Road.

MadMac

Regarding Dunfermline, I don't know the local area but it's highly possible that locals refer to a particular area as 'Town'.

Just as in Edinburgh, where there is the Old Town and the New Town (never upgraded to Old City and New City).

And of course Perth, which has long been referred to as 'St. John's Toun', thus giving their local professional football club it's name.
Not wishing to drift too far from the topic, but older readers may recall that the current Swansea City F.C. were Swansea Town until about 1970.

snowball

Established Member
Not wishing to drift too far from the topic, but older readers may recall that the current Swansea City F.C. were Swansea Town until about 1970.
Possibly a result of the fact that Swansea itself gained city status in 1969.

GordonT

They certainly refer to the area embracing the town centre as "the town centre". Sadly Dunfermline Town station is a 10-15 minute walk from "the town centre" and was formerly called "Dunfermline Lower" and some locals still call it "the Lower station". The former "Dunfermline Upper" station was located in "the town centre" but was closed in 1968.

Millisle

Having spent my first ten years about 15 minutes from the then Dunfermline Lower, I can confirm that it is not in an area known as the Town. The designation means Dunfermline Town [Centre] as opposed to the new eastern Dunfermline Queen Margaret.
Dunfermline Town is not a very popular name as in the 1850s Dunfermline Town Council decided to designate the burgh as a city at its own initiative. Thereafter until its dissolution in 1975 it used the formal name the City and Royal Burgh of Dunfermline. Until towards the end of C19 there was little clear definition of a city in Scotland and no ground to stop the council doing what it liked. Later when a legal definition gradually developed it did not encompass Dunfermline, no-one bothered if it wanted to carry on regardless.

roadierway77

I'm from Dunfermline, we usually call the town centre (or city centre as it is now) 'the town', yes. I'd usually say I am 'going into town'. Dunfermline Town station is not exactly in the town centre though, the centre is a 10 minute walk away from the station, up a steep hill.

Of the 7, Perth is the most questionable as it had its city status revoked in the 1990s, only to be reinstated in 2012.

Are you sure it's Stirling and not Perth they omit?
Yes, I'm pretty sure, from what I remember Stirling is the one they omit, which I've always thought was odd. But anyhow, I guess if Citylink can ignore the existence of a city, so can Scotrail.

[.n]

The 1924 OS map for Colchester refers to it as North Station, and to this day the road leading to it is North Station Road.

Thanks for that - I've always assumed that the North Station reference wasn't magicked out of thin air - but always thought it was odd as no other station had Colchester in the name!

Status
Not open for further replies.