• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

City Widened Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

DidcotDickie

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think mr_jrt was referring to the fact that they survived the blitz, which they did (no doubt with some repairs). The rerouting of the lines wasn't until at least 20 years later when the Barbican area was redeveloped. Then all they did was straighten the tracks between Barbican and Moorgate. There was no "new station" at Barbican. It's still the same cutting, platforms and trackbed as it was pre-war. They just renamed the station. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbican_tube_station

You're quite right 'rogcov' Barbican station was not moved when the lines between Barbican (or Aldersgate & Barbican as it was then) and Moorgate were ironed out.

For interest, here's a video taken by an old schoolfriend of mine in the 1970s on the Widened Lines between Barbican and Kings Cross. This would have originated from Moorgate. The train is BR mark 1 non-corridor suburban stock hauled by a class 31. It passes a classmate at Barbican and a Cravens class 105 just before Farringdon. After a stop at what became Kings Cross Thameslink it emerges from the Hotel Curve at Kings Cross. You can almost smell the diesel fumes. Sorry about the video quality but amateur video wasn't that great in those days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rogercov

For interest, here's a video taken by an old schoolfriend of mine in the 1970s on the Widened Lines between Barbican and Kings Cross.
After a stop at what became Kings Cross Thameslink it emerges from the Hotel Curve at Kings Cross.
Thanks for that great piece of nostalgia. In my childhood I travelled Southbound a few times from York Road to Moorgate but I don't believe I ever got to travel Northbound via hotel curve, although I have been to look at that platform and the tunnel entrance in Kings Cross suburban.
More recently, after the rebuilding had started, I tried to find the end of the hotel curve tunnel. I managed to get the attached pic in December 2002 before they finally buried it.
PC140001.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.