• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

class 08

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasper01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,does anyone know the configuration of the lights of the class 08.I am currently installing fiber optic lighting on some of my loco's, and would like to know what lights were used on the actual 08.On the 00 gauge model there are 3 above the buffer and 1 above the front same on cab end.Did all 4 on the front light white and all for on back light red ,or only some of them.

i have had replies in the modelling section, which i will copy to this section as i was told i might get a better answer!
below is 1 answer

depends what era you are modelling, the four lights were originally white and were meant to be used as they were on 'mainline locos', to show what type of train they where and possibly where they were going.

In later years, two were removed, leaving only the ones directly above the buffers, one remained white, the other used as a red. Unfortunately I can't remember which is which and I can find a photo to suggest which is which right now, but I suspect the white one is on the drivers side and the red on the second man's side.

Reply to the answer!

jasper01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,thankyou for your reply.the loco in question is a bachman one numbered D3336,which is in green br colours it has the 4 moulded lights on the front 3 above the buffer and 1 at top,so i presume that all of these were lit white when used?or should i just use the outer 2 of the 3 above buffer? i am not really modelling on any timeline,i go up to 1959 with my locos mostly steam but the odd diesels i have are the dp1 proto, the deltic meld and this shunter 08 of which would look better with working lights,just i did not know how many to use and if they were configured to use only the bottom ones as white and the top one as red when loco runs in opposite direction.I have tried to find a video online as to the loco in question (which i believe is in preservation) running with its lights on so as to see,but cant find one.

Many thanks for your help. Bob

This is the final reply suggesting i ask here! so if anyone can help a newbie it would be appreciated!

Hmm, I don't think I can answer that one, sorry. I know the lights were used to denote what the working was for mainline locos and can only really presume the same for a shunter, not sure what the arrangements are though, I'm relatively sure they didn't use all of them all the time.

If you want some sort of realism from it, you could try asking in the traction section about the real life shunter.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MggW

Depends what period you are modelling. Today they are a red and white one over each buffer, both always lit.

jasper01

Thankyou for your reply! i am not period modelling i just need to know the actual config of this perticular loco which has four mouldings on it front of four lights? were they all lit white.
many thanks bob

Kneedown

Established Member
Thankyou for your reply! i am not period modelling i just need to know the actual config of this perticular loco which has four mouldings on it front of four lights? were they all lit white.
many thanks bob

They were all white with a red lens that could be swivelled over the white. The regulations were a red and a white light to be displayed at each end, the white being displayed on whatever side was adjacent to the main line, so either light can display red or white deoending on location.

Status
Not open for further replies.