• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 10 Shunter Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

D5185

Having had no luck on the preservation forum I hope that you will forgive me for posting this here.

Does anybody have a set of training school notes or driver's handbook for the Blackstone engined class 10 shunter that I could borrow to copy please. I am presently writing a driver training course for class 08 and 10 for the Great Central Railway and whilst I have plenty of stuff for the 08 I can find absolutely nothing for the class 10.

Hopefully someone will have an old set salted away in the bottom of a locker.

Many thanks

John Pepper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Having had no luck on the preservation forum I hope that you will forgive me for posting this here.

Does anybody have a set of training school notes or driver's handbook for the Blackstone engined class 10 shunter that I could borrow to copy please. I am presently writing a driver training course for class 08 and 10 for the Great Central Railway and whilst I have plenty of stuff for the 08 I can find absolutely nothing for the class 10.

Many thanks

John Pepper

Have you tried the guys at the Spa Valley or Bodmin & Wenford - they both have a Class 10 shunter.

D5185

The guys at B&W don't have them but not as yet made contact with the Spa Valley though.

many thanks for your reply

O L Leigh

Established Member
Perhaps teach the Class 08 course using the material you have and then cover the Class 10 as a traction conversion using the information you can get from existing operators. Something along the lines of "...it's just like the 08 but this, this and that are different". Could that be done...?

O L Leigh

E&W Lucas

Established Member

Many thanks

John Pepper

John,

You're making yourself a load of unnecessary work. I was taught the 11 at somewhere we both know in terms of "This is what's different to the 08 that you already know from the day job". As has been suggested above, just adapt 08 material.

I doubt you'll find any manuals for one of these. A driver is hardly likely to have lost much sleep over the differences between shunters. (The remaining 08's are all different in detail).

D5185

John,

You're making yourself a load of unnecessary work. I was taught the 11 at somewhere we both know in terms of "This is what's different to the 08 that you already know from the day job". As has been suggested above, just adapt 08 material.

I doubt you'll find any manuals for one of these. A driver is hardly likely to have lost much sleep over the differences between shunters. (The remaining 08's are all different in detail).

Indeed that is what I have done. The reason for the request was to see if the original notes were around anywhere. There are some subtle differences in the layout of the engine room and the cubicle is totally different. I agree that the different physical layout can be resolved by following pipe runs to confirm that the bit that you are looking at is actually what you believe it is.

From the start I thought that it was unlikely that something would come to the surface but you never know until you ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.