Class 141s - Why Such A Premature Ejection From Service?

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by NoOnesFool, 3 Apr 2019.

1. GusB

GusB Established Member

Further to my post last night, the source was "Beyond Reality" by A D Jack and says:
    I also did a bit of Googling afterwards and found this link: https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Self-Changing_Gear_Co
    So effectively it ended up under the ownership of another former Leyland subsidiary.

2. Rob F

Rob F Member

Was that quite rare? I travelled on the Airedale line quite a lot in the mid to late 80s and never even saw a 141, other than at Leeds, let alone rode on one.

3. Moodster020

Moodster020 Member

Definitely was. Think the 141s were mostly on the Calder/Selby routes at that time. Probably sent one in lieu of a usual 144/142.This would have been around Oct 1993.

4. SC43090

SC43090 Member

If my memory is correct the 141 units was introduced in the BR timetable May 1984 to May 1985 & was used on the following services, Huddersfield to Wakefield, Leeds to York via Harrogate, & Doncaster to Leeds......

SC 43090

5. Rob F

Rob F Member

I think the only time I ever rode on one was a return from Leeds to Castleford in winter 1989.

6. BigB

BigB Member

I travelled on them a lot mid week between Leeds and York in the mid 1980s. This was probably as far as you would like to travel as the seats were effectively bus seats. For shorter hops they were okay, although comparing the comfort offered then with today's buses, there is no comparison.

I must try the one at Weardale if still running just to remind myself of the experience.

7. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

Because they were rubbish