• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 141s - Why Such A Premature Ejection From Service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
That would make sense as Leyland was winding down its engine production during the 1980s and going into a joint venture with Cummins (when the Cummins B series was launched in the UK Leyland rebadged it as the Leyland 300 Series for a short while). Leyland buses had moved completely to Voith or ZF gearboxes by the late 1980s and I'm not sure what other business SCG had by then: probably not much.
Further to my post last night, the source was "Beyond Reality" by A D Jack and says:
...Cummins bought Self Changing Gears, principally to gain access to the latter's technology in railcar transmissions and to be able to offer complete power-packs.

I also did a bit of Googling afterwards and found this link: https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Self-Changing_Gear_Co
1989 Cummins sold the company to United Scientific Holdings which later became Alvis plc
So effectively it ended up under the ownership of another former Leyland subsidiary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rob F

Certainly was a 'rolling' stock. I have vivid recollections of one in 1993 on the aire valley line at 70mph as a stood up vestibule passenger!
Was that quite rare? I travelled on the Airedale line quite a lot in the mid to late 80s and never even saw a 141, other than at Leeds, let alone rode on one.

Moodster020

Was that quite rare? I travelled on the Airedale line quite a lot in the mid to late 80s and never even saw a 141, other than at Leeds, let alone rode on one.

Definitely was. Think the 141s were mostly on the Calder/Selby routes at that time. Probably sent one in lieu of a usual 144/142.This would have been around Oct 1993.

SC43090

If my memory is correct the 141 units was introduced in the BR timetable May 1984 to May 1985 & was used on the following services, Huddersfield to Wakefield, Leeds to York via Harrogate, & Doncaster to Leeds......

SC 43090

Rob F

If my memory is correct the 141 units was introduced in the BR timetable May 1984 to May 1985 & was used on the following services, Huddersfield to Wakefield, Leeds to York via Harrogate, & Doncaster to Leeds......

SC 43090
I think the only time I ever rode on one was a return from Leeds to Castleford in winter 1989.

BigB

SC 43090

I travelled on them a lot mid week between Leeds and York in the mid 1980s. This was probably as far as you would like to travel as the seats were effectively bus seats. For shorter hops they were okay, although comparing the comfort offered then with today's buses, there is no comparison.

I must try the one at Weardale if still running just to remind myself of the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.