• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 142

Status
Not open for further replies.

19.21 MCV-LDS anybody know the booked working for this on saturdays. i think it is a 158+153 but tonight a single 142 turned up. cue leaving people behind at victoria for another hour! and people not being able to get through the train to the doors in time. it was still full and standing when i got off at todmorden. as the calder valley has no booked 142 diagrams (although they do cover for 144's and 150's occasionally) i don't travel on them regulaly and did not realise how badly they do need replacing.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
also am i right in thinking that all northern train crews sign 142's as they appear to operate nearly every route.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Well 142s don't appear on the Nottingham route as they are banned (thank god) :D

Well 142s don't appear on the Nottingham route as they are banned (thank god) :D

Is that a clearance issue or a MML speed issue? I believe that nottingham frequently has 150's in place of 158's, even a 155 once IIRC.

MCR247

Established Member
Well they are banned south of Chesterfield, no idea why, but I would assume that it is some sort of clearance issue?

Established Member
That is pretty poor. Northern have Newton Heath 10 minutes away and in circumstances like that, the guard should have refused to take it. I did at Piccadilly on several occasions, and was control's least favourite employee :)

pemma

Veteran Member
Well they are banned south of Chesterfield, no idea why, but I would assume that it is some sort of clearance issue?

They aren't banned - it's just Northern haven't applied for clearance so would have obtain clearance before using them on that line.

Incidentally they are banned from Macclesfield-Stoke due to platform issues, even though they wouldn't be used on that service anyway as they can't keep up with 323 timings and the WCML is too congested to allow a couple of minutes extra in the timetabling.
That is pretty poor. Northern have Newton Heath 10 minutes away and in circumstances like that, the guard should have refused to take it. I did at Piccadilly on several occasions, and was control's least favourite employee :)

I didn't know guards could do that, unless someone at control has allocated a unit that they don't sign.

What would happen if there were two units left at platform z, the first for a 19:10 service to place a and the second for a 19:43 service to place b but due to a special event the 19:10 needed double it's usual capacity. Would the guard be able to phone up control and arrange for the 19:43 unit to be used attached to the unit left for the 19:10, assuming another unit could be sourced for the 19:43?

i did notice several trains at newton heath and the 19.27 to huddersfield at platform 2 was 2x150. however it was 15 muinutes late leaving due to a problem at leeds. possibally a unit failiure? but it was packed from it's previous journey.
jcollins there is a 2x142 diagram from macclesfield to manchester piccadilly.

WillPS

Established Member
I've seen a 144 takeover from a Nottingham-Leeds 158 service at Sheffield before.

I believe Pacers are specifically banned from the Mansfield Junction side of Nottingham station.

gnolife

Established Member
i did notice several trains at newton heath and the 19.27 to huddersfield at platform 2 was 2x150. however it was 15 muinutes late leaving due to a problem at leeds. possibally a unit failiure? but it was packed from it's previous journey.
jcollins there is a 2x142 diagram from macclesfield to manchester piccadilly.

I think its the general clutter of Kidsgrove - Stoke that bans 142, theres another 2 tph to factor in there (i think) compared to the Macc - Cheadle Hulme, so thats why you dont get 142 to Stoke

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....What would happen if there were two units left at platform z, the first for a 19:10 service to place a and the second for a 19:43 service to place b but due to a special event the 19:10 needed double it's usual capacity. Would the guard be able to phone up control and arrange for the 19:43 unit to be used attached to the unit left for the 19:10, assuming another unit could be sourced for the 19:43?

Control would probably tell them to take a long walk off a short pier.

Where there are known special events, the train planning dept. try to put extra trains on, or lengthen services, but if there is no stock spare (or train crew for the extra trains), it doesn't happen, they won't cancel services to lengthen another.

pemma

Veteran Member
but if there is no stock spare (or train crew for the extra trains), it doesn't happen, they won't cancel services to lengthen another.

That isn't what I was meaning. I was meaning there is stock spare but it's been left at the depot, which could get the origin station in time to run the 19:43 in the example I gave.

Status
Not open for further replies.