• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 150 at Man Picc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed a Northern class 150 sat at platform 11 at Man Picc that is marked up not to be moved. I first spotted it last week and it was still there tonight. Does anyone know why it is parked there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
150145 has a seized final drive unit, it's been there since last Tuesday, no one can work out how to move it.

Nym

Established Member
Depends on where the Final Drive is, if it's part of the bogies, then it needs skates, if not, you could climb under and unbolt the driveshafts..

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Could always take a gas axe to it.... although you would probably manage to damage something else by doing that.

driver9000

Established Member
Depends on where the Final Drive is, if it's part of the bogies, then it needs skates, if not, you could climb under and unbolt the driveshafts..

The final drives are in the bogies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
:idea: Is there a possible problem with fitting wheel skates alongside a platform?

Haven't seen the procedure close up though, so that could be bow locks...

Pumbaa

Established Member
Yes - that was the reason given for it not having moved yet.

Established Member
:idea: Is there a possible problem with fitting wheel skates alongside a platform?

Haven't seen the procedure close up though, so that could be bow locks...

I've heard of skates being used at St James up here on the Metro when there was a gearbox problem with a set, but of course no doubt will be different procedures for different types of unit.

Nym

Established Member
If you can't put it on skates, without causing severe track or unit damage, the only thing I can think is to strip the final drive in situ, or get a crane out (taking down the OHLE in the process!)

Crossover

Established Member
If you can't put it on skates, without causing severe track or unit damage, the only thing I can think is to strip the final drive in situ, or get a crane out (taking down the OHLE in the process!)

What's the problem with getting it on skates in situ?

As for the dismantling of the final drive in situ, that would be my next suggestion too...shame it doesn't sound like there is an easy way to disconnect them from the wheels themselves

northernrail

I think the problem with getting the skates on, is getting them on the side of the Platform......Its not like you can easily get down the side inbetween the 150 and Platform.

Nym

Established Member
What's the problem with getting it on skates in situ?

As for the dismantling of the final drive in situ, that would be my next suggestion too...shame it doesn't sound like there is an easy way to disconnect them from the wheels themselves

Just find me a fitter that is prepared to lay on his back for long enough to dismantle a final drive with the state of the ballast in Piccadilly, where no-one understands "No not flush in stations!"

PS: 11 doesn't have as many trays as the other platforms.

Skatewise, I don't know how the're fitted on, but I could design one in a jiffy that would be possible to fit inside a platform.

skaterdrew

PS: 11 doesn't have as many trays as the other platforms.

Just had a look from platform 12, there may not be many trays on 11 but theres at least one under each bogie and they're full of a lovely mixture. Your gonna have to find a brave fitter to lay down under that 150.

Nym

Established Member
Had a look today myself too, if you took a posession on 12 the chances are you could get to the final drive, but anyone else here who has ever tried to free a ceased floating jornal bearing will know you don't want to be doing that on your back. Or with an audience, that you would gain by doing this on the station.

Nym

Established Member
Or in a puddle of diesel, oil and human excrement.

That is what I was subtly getting at with the flushing in stations thing, but yes, I wouldn't want to be on my back taking a final drive to bits in the best of circumstances, let alone layed in a mix of four years worth of diesel, oil, feaces and urine. (Even though there is a club near Kings Cross where you can partake in two of them four, but lets not go there.)

HSTEd

Veteran Member
What would happen if they just tried to drag it out of the station without fitting skates?

Two axles with horrendous wheelflats?

Nym

Established Member
Depends on how much traction there is, if you can slide it, that... (Hence using skids, they could try greasing the hell out of the track, but it would need to be under pressure to reduce the friction co-efficent enough)

If not, you could destroy the final drive by ripping the bearing jornals apart, de-balancing the sunwheel and pinion, destroying all of the gears contained within it, rendering that final drive useless, if this happens in a major way that continues trasmitting drive to the power unit, the feedback could knacker the whole drive system (in an extreme case) the former bearing destruction and final drive knackering is much more likely.

table38

Established Member
Shirley you just dig a hole (or holes) in the platform down to track level and install the skates?

table38

Established Member
At piccadilly, no chance....

Just out of interest, why not? I get why you couldn't dig down below track level (without coming out into the undercroft :)), but wouldn't the platforms just be the usual brick-sided box full of spoil with tarmac/slabs on the top?

p12.jpg

Nym

Established Member
But that would mean Network Rail giving a damn and moving brick... That would need a £150mil consultation and £100mil worth of survays, it costing £50mil to do the job, by that point you could just buy 100 class 172s and declare 150145 as a retail unit and lease it off to SSP...

Status
Not open for further replies.