• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 150 Derailment at Laira (23/03)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliverpckehoe

Just seen 150221 derailed just outside of Laira Depot, seen from 1A80. It seems to be minor but I'm curious as to what actually happened.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Unsuccessful attempt to rerail during night due earth moving problem

Last edited:

irish_rail

Established Member
Will require a rail crane apparently due to location right on the river bank. Gonna be a big job.......

richw

Veteran Member
It slipped further away, 1.5m I heard from a insider! It’s now against the fence and chained down to stop it getting wet!

Highlandspring

Established Member
Kirow crane (81612) en route as 1Z99 from Westbury at the moment to rerail the unit tonight.

MarkyT

Established Member
Any idea of cause? Trap point at yard exit, siding handpoint, or something else?

MarkyT

Established Member
Trap point at the end of the shunting siding.
Was it these traps circled in yellow?
laira.jpg
Must have knocked the TC interupter off so presumably talking past on the Down Main?

Last edited by a moderator:

oliverpckehoe

Was it these traps circled in yellow?
View attachment 60721
Must have knocked the TC interupter off so presumably talking past on the Down Main?

Assuming the road to the left is the A 374, then yes. By the time 1A80 passed the train had a "not to be moved" sign and half a dozen people in orange vests inspecting the damage, and the train was about a metre from the river.

Last edited by a moderator:

oliverpckehoe

Has it been successful rescued from getting wet wheels?

For now, yes. The only risk of falling into the river will be when they have to undo the chains for the crane to do its work. I'm unaware of the methods that they use since I've never witnessed it before, but it is still chained up, touching the fence.

oliverpckehoe

That is indeed the location. Down main passing at caution. Most stuff incurring 5-10 min delays

Delays are a bit longer than that. 1C81 Paddington to Penzance (1408 through Exeter) arrived into Plymouth 24 mins late, Bodmin 24, and Penzance 29. For a bit of context, it was 5 late out of Paddington.

MarkyT

Established Member
Dad, an engineer who attended many derailments and more serious incidents during his railway career, always says the best way to re-rail is to drag the stock back on the way it came, packing and supporting as necessary. Of course if it's started tipping over or the ground is giving way then that may not be so easy!

Highlandspring

Established Member
I once watched them rerail a 170 that had come off at a set of traps by slowly driving it back on from the other end.

Established Member
Delays are a bit longer than that. 1C81 Paddington to Penzance (1408 through Exeter) arrived into Plymouth 24 mins late, Bodmin 24, and Penzance 29. For a bit of context, it was 5 late out of Paddington.
1C81 lost a total of 7 minutes from Hemerdon to Plymouth... after a right time departure from Paddington and terminated 3 Early in Penzance!

richw

Veteran Member

I hadn’t looked other than the services I used lost 7 and 9 mins respectively

Established Member
And assuming you meant yesterday, the delay wasn't down to the derailment as it was 19late out of London. It only lost 9 mins through the affected area.

RPI

Established Member
And assuming you meant yesterday, the delay wasn't down to the derailment as it was 19late out of London. It only lost 9 mins through the affected area.
It actually lost most of that between pad and reading due to an air leak that was duly rectified by the driver

Dave1987

On Moderation
Low speed derailments are really not a big deal anymore. I’ve seen a derailment in a yard. Took longer for the gang to get there and haul their gear across the yard than it did to get the wheels back on the rail.

oliverpckehoe

It actually lost most of that between pad and reading due to an air leak that was duly rectified by the driver

It was about 20 late into Exeter, but made up some time as far as Laira, then waited for about 10 minutes just in front of the derailment

fgwrich

Established Member
Either way, it’ll mean that the already tight west fleet will have to sweat it out further for a while. It’s just as well there’s a number of available HSTs that can be shortened to cover the mainline duties then!

Has the sprinter involved in the Penryn derailment returned to service yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.